Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... still no bell.... and no poop either... No Poop yesterday or today!! NOT Good...
I gave him a stool softener this afternoon. He ate almost an entire can of FF.. but... he needs to poop!! I need him to POOP...

POOP FAIRIE; Where are you?????

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up giving Artie a stool softener, yesterday afternoon...
He did poop last night: 5 x 0.5-1 inch in diameter.. no bell..

This morning, he pooped a cow patty, 3 x 2 ... no bell...

Weird...

I keep thinking the bell is stuck in there, accumulating fur, and poop; only to make it's presence known at a later time...It has been 8 days....

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like rubysmama's idea for an x-ray. I would call your vet tomorrow, remind him it has been (tomorrow) 9 days and ask his opinion regarding an x-ray. In the meantime, I know this is stressful, but as always you always do a WONDERFUL job by that boy!! and we all mean this, hang in there.:):):):):):):vibes::updown::updown::updown::updown: (I just thought I would try out the upside down smile for a change) LOL

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I like rubysmama's idea for an x-ray. I would call your vet tomorrow, remind him it has been (tomorrow) 9 days and ask his opinion regarding an x-ray. In the meantime, I know this is stressful, but as always you always do a WONDERFUL job by that boy!! and we all mean this, hang in there.:):):):):):):vibes::updown::updown::updown::updown: (I just thought I would try out the upside down smile for a change) LOL
:yeah::clover::poop::poop::cheerleader::crossfingers:!:goodluck::kiss:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'm pretty sure a bell would show up on an Xray. I had to get an Xray of my lower spinal area and the doctor reading them couldn't figure out what the small bright bar-shaped thing was that showed up on it. Of course, I knew -- it was the metal bar on my hair tie on my plait, which I should have moved out of the way but forgot to.
Wishing Cindy and Artie a good SUNday and hoping for a "ringing success" very soon! ;):winkcat:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bell should show up on an X-ray, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Artie should have an X-ray. Suppose the X-ray shows the bell still in there - then what? Is it worth subjecting Artie to surgery to get it out? I seriously doubt it. I think maybe the question worth asking is "What kind of metal is in the bell?" If it's not toxic I think that it's likely not worth worrying about.

Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
As I have a medical background, was an x-ray tech; an x-ray was right on my mind..
As was, what to do after that?? enema?? or what..

NVet said, last year, that, Artie is not to have any anesthesia.. ....

Artie did poop twice today; this morning and this afternoon. It came out as squiggles.. and in the form of a cow patty.... sigh..
Thinner is NOT good..

He was all over me this afternoon, as I was shredding a ton of stuff.. I could not tell what was on his mind.. but then, he pooped..

He has had a bit of a struggle to poop, over the past couple of days..

I will update NVet's secretary tomorrow..

Artie is eating.. but just does not seem to be 'normal'... something is bugging him, but I cannot figure it out.. unless it is the bell which is partially blocking him?????

He is eating ok... 3/4 can today, along with a couple of episodes of 1/8 cup of dry...
I also gave him 6 Treats... such a good boy...

Yes, his stool is soft.. a bit too soft, but I wanted to push the bell out..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When I mentioned the x-ray, I thought, hoped actually, that maybe you missed it in the litter box, and the x-ray would show everything was clear.

I'm also glad you have a good relationship with the Nvet and his secretary, and that tomorrow is Monday and you can touch base with them.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
As I have a medical background, was an x-ray tech; an x-ray was right on my mind..
As was, what to do after that?? enema?? or what..

NVet said, last year, that, Artie is not to have any anesthesia.. ....

Artie did poop twice today; this morning and this afternoon. It came out as squiggles.. and in the form of a cow patty.... sigh..
Thinner is NOT good..

He was all over me this afternoon, as I was shredding a ton of stuff.. I could not tell what was on his mind.. but then, he pooped..

He has had a bit of a struggle to poop, over the past couple of days..

I will update NVet's secretary tomorrow..

Artie is eating.. but just does not seem to be 'normal'... something is bugging him, but I cannot figure it out.. unless it is the bell which is partially blocking him?????

He is eating ok... 3/4 can today, along with a couple of episodes of 1/8 cup of dry...
I also gave him 6 Treats... such a good boy...

Yes, his stool is soft.. a bit too soft, but I wanted to push the bell out..
:grouphug2::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::cheerleader::goodluck::heartshape:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My thirteen and a half year old cat had a blockage last summer when he ate the stuffing of a toy that my dog chewed up. He vomited many times in one day and wouldn't eat. X rays didn't show the blockage and the er sent him home. He got worse and I found the stuffing in the vomit the next day so brought home back for an ultrasound.
I opted to do surgery but they gave him subcutaneous fluids first as he was weak and dehydrated. By the time they started the surgery he had almost passed the blockage on his own so they closed him up and let it pass by the next day.
For horses which surgery is a last resort due to their size vets give mineral oil to try to clear small potential blockages.
Good luck!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie did some squiggles this morning, which amounted to a small cow patty.. not a good sign and he was straining a bit to get it out...

Called NVET.. While NVet is not emergently concerned, he wants me to bring Artie in for an x-ray, this week ~~ he will squeeze us in, and talk to me after.. sigh
I am taking him in, Wednesday afternoon. Nvet is not in today or tomorrow.
I fear this.. but..

Artie is eating ok.. Today, he refused his treats.. weird.. He came running, but refused them..

Ate 3/4 small can today.. has the dry Fiber food for tonight..

I can't help but think that the bell is causing a partial obstruction, and the poop is starting to back up... sigh..

NVet, at one point, said to me, that Artie will not undergo anesthesia.. so I am a lot concerned...

Last night, gave him his last dose of cisapride, at 11pm... At 11;20pm, just as I was getting comfy in bed, he vomited it up... sigh.. did not eat much during the night.. only 1/4 cup of dry.. sigh..

Artie needs an ArtieMegaPoop... sigh...

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He can't have surgery, so knowing that I understand that regardless as to what is going on with Artie at this time, surgery is out of the question. None the less, now I can only speak for myself here, I would want to know what potentially is affecting Artie at this time. Some might think that an X-ray would be a waste of time under his circumstances, but at least you would know where that bell is. He may be not feeling well because of something totally not related, (though realistically that is probably and again I say probably is not the case). At least you and the vet would know how swallowing that bell is affecting him, more than likely do to where in his digestive tract the bell is located at this time. And I know that bit of information would be helpful to your vet. Otherwise, it would be business as usual, and you would just continue to make Artie as comfortable as possible. :) Glad you opted for the X-ray. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.