Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie did some squiggles this morning, which amounted to a small cow patty.. not a good sign and he was straining a bit to get it out...

Called NVET.. While NVet is not emergently concerned, he wants me to bring Artie in for an x-ray, this week ~~ he will squeeze us in, and talk to me after.. sigh
I am taking him in, Wednesday afternoon. Nvet is not in today or tomorrow.
I fear this.. but..

Artie is eating ok.. Today, he refused his treats.. weird.. He came running, but refused them..

Ate 3/4 small can today.. has the dry Fiber food for tonight..

I can't help but think that the bell is causing a partial obstruction, and the poop is starting to back up... sigh..

NVet, at one point, said to me, that Artie will not undergo anesthesia.. so I am a lot concerned...

Last night, gave him his last dose of cisapride, at 11pm... At 11;20pm, just as I was getting comfy in bed, he vomited it up... sigh.. did not eat much during the night.. only 1/4 cup of dry.. sigh..

Artie needs an ArtieMegaPoop... sigh...
It's good that Artie's appetite seems to be pretty good, though, at least! And as for treats, well, a cat's got to be discerning *and downright picky* so as not to let the servant get TOO complacent :insertevillaugh:

An enema and/or mineral oil sound like it/they might be in Artie's future. And then--super CLEAN-CAT! :yess::redcat:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They do all kinds of varying levels of sedation now that are much less risky than full anesthesia. Just had some kind of full arm nerve block with lighter sedation for my two hour complicated wrist surgery two weeks ago.
For elderly pets at risk for anesthesia I've had cats do all sort of lower risk sedation. They could give him an x ray or possible ultrasound if needed and fluids and mineral oil or enema to push blockage through.
Hope all goes well.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the Vet/X-ray..
Results: NO BELL!!!
NOTHING but POOP and GAS...

I did take in a twin bell, for them to x-ray also.. to see how it images; so they can compare densities in his colon... but nothing!!!

I am a lot relieved.. did not know how much this weighed on my mind..

Artie must have pooped it out, in one of his 'segments'...

Did not see NVet; saw his associate, a resident Vet, in the X-ray waiting room.
I was fine with that. She said she looked at the film herself, and got a quick reading from the radiologist, before speaking with me.

I asked about how much poop and the diameter of his colon. She said he needs to poop, but not an abnormal amount.. (Artie pooped this morning)...
Also, the colon is not at a huge distention..

Feeling a lot better.. maybe I can get more than a few hours sleep, tonight..

thank for all your support.. I really needed it.. You guys are great..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So happy to read this. Also that his colon is not at a huge distention. All in all, seems as though getting the x-ray was well worth it, as it's relieved 2 worrying concerns.

Now get that boy to curl up on your lap, and the 2 of you have a calm and relaxing evening. :catlove:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Back from the Vet/X-ray..
Results: NO BELL!!!
NOTHING but POOP and GAS...

I did take in a twin bell, for them to x-ray also.. to see how it images; so they can compare densities in his colon... but nothing!!!

I am a lot relieved.. did not know how much this weighed on my mind..

Artie must have pooped it out, in one of his 'segments'...

Did not see NVet; saw his associate, a resident Vet, in the X-ray waiting room.
I was fine with that. She said she looked at the film herself, and got a quick reading from the radiologist, before speaking with me.

I asked about how much poop and the diameter of his colon. She said he needs to poop, but not an abnormal amount.. (Artie pooped this morning)...
Also, the colon is not at a huge distention..

Feeling a lot better.. maybe I can get more than a few hours sleep, tonight..

thank for all your support.. I really needed it.. You guys are great..
:goldstar: :woohoo::dance::beerchug::jive::bunnydance::woo::celebrate::party3:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update..
Artie was exhausted yesterday.. did not eat all that much.. slept most of the day.. He is getting tired of all the meds. Now, he seems to hide when he hears me going into the refrigerator, take out the bottle of cisapride, shake it up.. by the time I have the cisapride drawn up, He is MIA... and cries when I do try to give it to him..

Artie did have one of his MegaPoops early this morning.. 10 x 1 inch.. soft..

He had 10 treats yesterday. Artie is now in the habit of waiting/asking for treats in the afternoon. He is so easy to spoil..

Last night, he was at one point, sitting on my lap, looking directly at me. I noticed that the left side of his neck seems fuller--- almost swollen like.. strange..

The sub-q's should not have settled there.. and even if they did, they should have dissipated by then.
I wonder if it was swollen from the day before?? Either they had to really scruff him very hard, causing a bit of swelling, or he aggravated it by rubbing against the carrier door??
He was really trying to get out, at one point..

I did not feel any lumps, or masses.. just thick skin... sigh.. always something with this cat...

I will keep an eye on it, may mention it ~~ in passing to the Vet's secretary..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, he seems to hide when he hears me going into the refrigerator, take out the bottle of cisapride, shake it up.. by the time I have the cisapride drawn up, He is MIA.
Just a thought...for a few days, try just drawing it up and leaving it in the fridge for awhile. It's sneaky, but it may let you get it in him a bit easier. He goes through these cycles. I remember that from before. You had a rough few weeks, then he settled a bit.

I wonder if it was swollen from the day before??
That's very possible. Just do mention it to NV's secretary for your own peace of mind.

HOORAY FOR POOP!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update..
Artie was exhausted yesterday.. did not eat all that much.. slept most of the day.. He is getting tired of all the meds. Now, he seems to hide when he hears me going into the refrigerator, take out the bottle of cisapride, shake it up.. by the time I have the cisapride drawn up, He is MIA... and cries when I do try to give it to him..

Artie did have one of his MegaPoops early this morning.. 10 x 1 inch.. soft..

He had 10 treats yesterday. Artie is now in the habit of waiting/asking for treats in the afternoon. He is so easy to spoil..

Last night, he was at one point, sitting on my lap, looking directly at me. I noticed that the left side of his neck seems fuller--- almost swollen like.. strange..

The sub-q's should not have settled there.. and even if they did, they should have dissipated by then.
I wonder if it was swollen from the day before?? Either they had to really scruff him very hard, causing a bit of swelling, or he aggravated it by rubbing against the carrier door??
He was really trying to get out, at one point..

I did not feel any lumps, or masses.. just thick skin... sigh.. always something with this cat...

I will keep an eye on it, may mention it ~~ in passing to the Vet's secretary..
*EXCELLENT NEWS* about the bell! Good on ya, Artie man!!!
Treats are good. Treats after Cisapride would be good, too. :winkcat:
Good idea to mention it to NVet's secretary. ;)
Wishing you both a great evening & night! :cloud9::redcat:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is still pooping.. nothing, today, but the day is still early.

Thanks for the ideas regarding the cisapride; however, It has to be on an empty stomach--hence, first thing in the morning; also, it is a solution, in a fish base.. It clumps up and sticks, if it remains in the bottle for too long.... actually pretty fast...

so those Ideas are out.. I just hug and praise him after each dose.. The midday one is not bad, because he is sleeping..

The nighttime one is variable ~~ sometimes he hears and runs away, other times he is sleeping.. so.. but then I run the risk of him using his tongue like a baseball bat, and pushing the fluid out... weird, smart cat...

The swelling of the neck is gone.. lasted less than a day.. thinking it was because he was scruffed for the x-ray.. not going to complain..

He had a long coughing spell last night, when he ate the last of his wet food.. weird.. He never did that before. I am thinking he was just vacuuming every last bit in.. and aspirated a bit..
Scary, lasting about 3 minutes..

At first I thought he was about to vomit, but no.. He started on the couch, then the table, then the floor in front of me.. no yowling, as in vomit.. head went from side to side..

I was almost thinking Heimlich.. but did not...When he finished, I picked him up, and I could hear gurgling in his trachea.. Yup, he aspirated his food..

Ignored his food during the evening, but ate the dry food during the night.. and had breakfast, this morning....he is ok...

just a fluke...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad the swelling in his neck went down. And that the poop fairy is still coming on a regular basis. :catman: Poor boy, swallowing his food the wrong way. Glad he was able to cough and feel better. :lovecat2: Hope you both have a good day. :)

BTW, isn't it about time for a new Artie pic for us Artie's Army members/fans. ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
VERY good news about the swelling being gone. *SO relieved!*
That's scary when they aspirate. I've done that myself, and it's scary for me, too. Cats do snork, don't they? Around here there are the "Regurge All-Stars" but I'd rather they do that than "swallow down the wrong pipe". I've even done that on my own saliva. Takes quite a lot of skills to do that :gaah::rolleyes3:

Glad Artie is doing well -- and yes, no pressure re the pix, but we do all love to see Mr. Handsome! :redheartpump::redcat::redheartpump:

Status
Not open for further replies.