Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am doing sub-q's daily, 100 cc... Artie is so good with them.. He was a bear with the Vet techs, but seems to have calmed down a ton, when I do them.

As far as feeding the FF food. Fish is not good for any urinary issues: FLUTd and Renal.
The chicken does act as a laxative to him. I have to keep the chicken under control. I do not use it often, and it is what is included in the other food. I never give him plain chicken cat food. That would overload him. There is a bit of chicken in the FF classics; not much but there is.. or it could be an additive that he is allergic to.. who the heck knows.

The patches of missing fur, bother me. They really do.. It could be a sign of renal, hyperthyroid, or allergy.. Both I and the NVet are guessing chicken allergy.

I can get Artie in, on Tuesday for just the blood test and urinalysis. If abnormal, then, we can easily schedule an official appointment with NVet.
This way, NVet will have some information, if Artie needs to be seen.

If the renal stuff comes back positive, I cannot see the NVet prescribing a special diet; especially knowing how fussy Artie is with his food. I think the only thing we could do would be to add a phosphorous binder to his food. It is flavorless powder.
I do not think NVet would add more sub-q's . Artie has a heart arrhythmia and murmur.. This is why the NVet mentioned that he is NOT going to have any anesthesia at all. He is not going under for any reason. So, why stress his heart out further with additional fluids?

I think I need to know, for my own need. There is really too much going on, around me, affecting me, for me not to be constantly worrying about Artie. If things come out ok, then I do not have to add kidney stuff onto him ~~ just the missing fur.
If it comes out positive for renal disease, then I have my answer.. and know what is in store..

My last cat was a diabetic, with insulin shots, twice daily. This is all new to me. She never lost fur.. Artie has so many issues, that sometimes it gets mind boggling.

Things have not been going well for me, lately. I worry too much ---lots going on.. and questioning my own judgment... second guessing myself..
That is why I ask you guys stuff...

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I would have had an alcoholic beverage, as my choice of a special drink; however, I gave that up for Lent. It has been 4 weeks. Lent is over, on Easter.
I cannot wait to enjoy a nice glass or two of Vodka and Tonic.. or a couple glasses of wine... Along with the chocolate, I also gave up...

I also wiped down my bathroom, had 4 phone calls, went to confession at church, to the butcher, washing some of Artie's towels now.

I am tired.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think I need to know, for my own need.
And I think there's your answer. Sometimes the not knowing is as stressful as actually knowing. If you can afford the tests, and Artie is up to it, then do it.

Meanwhile, put your feet up, call Artie over to do his "lap cat" duties, and since you gave up alcohol and chocolate for lent, indulge in a dish of ice cream, some potato chips, or something else you love. :yummy:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am doing sub-q's daily, 100 cc... Artie is so good with them.. He was a bear with the Vet techs, but seems to have calmed down a ton, when I do them.

As far as feeding the FF food. Fish is not good for any urinary issues: FLUTd and Renal.
The chicken does act as a laxative to him. I have to keep the chicken under control. I do not use it often, and it is what is included in the other food. I never give him plain chicken cat food. That would overload him. There is a bit of chicken in the FF classics; not much but there is.. or it could be an additive that he is allergic to.. who the heck knows.

The patches of missing fur, bother me. They really do.. It could be a sign of renal, hyperthyroid, or allergy.. Both I and the NVet are guessing chicken allergy.

I can get Artie in, on Tuesday for just the blood test and urinalysis. If abnormal, then, we can easily schedule an official appointment with NVet.

If the renal stuff comes back positive, I cannot see the NVet prescribing a special diet; especially knowing how fussy Artie is with his food. I think the only thing we could do would be to add a phosphorous binder to his food. It is flavorless powder.
I do not think NVet would add more sub-q's . Artie has a heart arrhythmia and murmur.. This is why the NVet mentioned that he is NOT going to have any anesthesia at all. He is not going under for any reason. So, why stress his heart out further with additional fluids?

I think I need to know, for my own need. There is really too much going on, around me, affecting me, for me not to be constantly worrying about Artie. If things come out ok, then I do not have to add kidney stuff onto him ~~ just the missing fur.
If it comes out positive for renal disease, then I have my answer.. and know what is in store..

My last cat was a diabetic, with insulin shots, twice daily. This is all new to me. She never lost fur.. Artie has so many issues, that sometimes it gets mind boggling.

Things have not been going well for me, lately. I worry too much ---lots going on.. and questioning my own judgment... second guessing myself..
That is why I ask you guys stuff...

dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I would have had an alcoholic beverage, as my choice of a special drink; however, I gave that up for Lent. It has been 4 weeks. Lent is over, on Easter.
I cannot wait to enjoy a nice glass or two of Vodka and Tonic.. or a couple glasses of wine... Along with the chocolate, I also gave up...

I also wiped down my bathroom, had 4 phone calls, went to confession at church, to the butcher, washing some of Artie's towels now.

I am tired.
Sounds like you have a battle plan, then, artiemom artiemom and I pray and hope for GOOD test results. In the meantime, I wish you both a great rest of the weekend :cloud9::redcat:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the only thing we could do would be to add a phosphorous binder to his food. It is flavorless powder.
Are you sure it is tasteless?
The only time I added a phosphorus binder to Lola's food, it had a terrible taste and Lola refused to eat any of it, despite the fact that the label said it was appreciated by cats.

Our fingers are crossed it won't be a renal disease!!!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the Renal tests are off the table, for now...

Artie had a very small hard poop yesterday. He did not poop this morning.

He seems to be peeing ok..

On Saturday, he pulled out more fur.. an vomited the largest amount of fur, that I have ever seen!! Just about the size of what is taken up from the slicker brush. It was enormous!!! He did not eat much Saturday; understandable.. Yesterday, he did eat well, however, the small amount of hard poop bothered me.

I gave him some extra miralax yesterday. I am not giving him any extra chicken stuff; even though, it acts as a laxative. He is so itchy. Constantly grooming, scratching.. and now with the second episode of fur pulling off of him; along with the the enormous fur ball, I am afraid to add to his chicken allergy. He was sleeping/hiding most of the day Saturday and Sunday. He slept with me each night.

I am going to give him some colace later this morning.

I canceled the renal stuff because I do not want to take a chance of him having soft poop, in the carrier ~~~~ getting it all over him, the carrier. I would really have a monumental clean up, if that happened.

Right now, I am focusing on him being so itchy. I know that is from the chicken. I am asking NVet if I can give him some zyrtec, or even a homeopathic liquid I have on hand--for itchiness. Sending a copy of the ingredients to NVet.

All Artie does is scratch, groom...the only time he does not scratch/groom is when he is sleeping.. even then, he wakes up to scratch.. He does not even stay on my lap for very long. He gets up to scratch. Artie used to stay on my lap for hours on end.

He is happy enough. He is getting the food he wants. He compromises with me about eating the dry Fiber Response food during the night, as long as he gets the other food.

I am going to stay away from the treats for a while. They are full of chicken.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He is happy enough. He is getting the food he wants. He compromises with me about eating the dry Fiber Response food during the night, as long as he gets the other food.
You're a smart mom! :thumbsup: I know it's natural to second guess ourselves, I'm no different but you are so intuned with Artie that even the NVet trusts your intuition. It's ok to take the renal tests off the table for now since you know you can always schedule them if need be later. As for giving up your beverage of choice and chocolate for Lent, you're a brave woman. ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the Renal tests are off the table, for now...

Artie had a very small hard poop yesterday. He did not poop this morning.

He seems to be peeing ok..

On Saturday, he pulled out more fur.. an vomited the largest amount of fur, that I have ever seen!! Just about the size of what is taken up from the slicker brush. It was enormous!!! He did not eat much Saturday; understandable.. Yesterday, he did eat well, however, the small amount of hard poop bothered me.

I gave him some extra miralax yesterday. I am not giving him any extra chicken stuff; even though, it acts as a laxative. He is so itchy. Constantly grooming, scratching.. and now with the second episode of fur pulling off of him; along with the the enormous fur ball, I am afraid to add to his chicken allergy. He was sleeping/hiding most of the day Saturday and Sunday. He slept with me each night.

I am going to give him some colace later this morning.

I canceled the renal stuff because I do not want to take a chance of him having soft poop, in the carrier ~~~~ getting it all over him, the carrier. I would really have a monumental clean up, if that happened.

Right now, I am focusing on him being so itchy. I know that is from the chicken. I am asking NVet if I can give him some zyrtec, or even a homeopathic liquid I have on hand--for itchiness. Sending a copy of the ingredients to NVet.

All Artie does is scratch, groom...the only time he does not scratch/groom is when he is sleeping.. even then, he wakes up to scratch.. He does not even stay on my lap for very long. He gets up to scratch. Artie used to stay on my lap for hours on end.

Hoping NVet will be able to recommend something to stop the itching, which must be so aggravating for Artie and could be part of/the reason why he is barbering (removing his fur)! I know there are topical sprays for itching, but it's probably a lot better and more effective to do it from the inside i.e. something he will ingest that will help his system, not just his surface skin *if that makes sense*.
Wishing you both a good day!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

If the renal stuff comes back positive, I cannot see the NVet prescribing a special diet; especially knowing how fussy Artie is with his food. I think the only thing we could do would be to add a phosphorous binder to his food.
After I copied this, I saw that you are going to wait due to the poop issue. That's probably a good call, and you can get it done later if necessary. Just...you know where you are comfortable. You have an excellent gut instinct for Artie's issues. Listen to that.

I know cats can have benadryl, so there may well be other allergy meds that he could take, as well.

LOL, well...He IS Artie, and you have to pick your battles. I'm kinda surprised your hair isn't falling out from trying to keep one step ahead of him!

SMOOCHES to both of you!

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has allergies to many things, foods and environmental, and he literally scratches himself raw. Steroids work the best to stop. Him scratching himself until he bleeds but o hate giving him steroids and even the vet said they stopped carrying the long acting steroid shot because it caused autoimmune diseases and inability to fight off infections and too many problems in cats.
Benadryl didn't help his itchiness much nor did various painkillers although they did sedate him a bit.
Vets keep telling me to try apoquel for itchiness or steroids.
If Artie is on Prednisone that should help.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You must have managed your diabetic cat very well or been lucky. My beloved Inky was diabetic and hard to stabilize and he had awful skin infections, ear infections, otitis, stomatitis, his teeth would just fall out. Took a long time to stabilize the diabetes then he was finally stable enough to have surgery for his teeth. Then his skin improved and he got beautiful and shiny. Then unfortunately got cancer.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the vet can find a way to get Artie’s itchiness under control soon! :hearthrob: :redcat:
Me Two....

LOL, well...He IS Artie, and you have to pick your battles. I'm kinda surprised your hair isn't falling out from trying to keep one step ahead of him!

SMOOCHES to both of you!
I know, I feel as if I am always having some kind of battle with him..

He has spent all of late morning/all afternoon in his quilt.. coming out to nibble, when I leave the apartment.

The creepy property manager came in today, with 2 older professional workman, and my super's wife... Artie was in his quilt/tent the entire time. He did not move at all. One of them even went outside on the balcony. These men were very quiet. The PM was his typical pompous self, but the guys put him in his place, very softly, by ignoring him and listening to me.

Yesterday, I did tell him that the 'bad man' was coming in here today, and to stay away from him. He listened to me!!!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Me Two....

He has spent all of late morning/all afternoon in his quilt.. coming out to nibble, when I leave the apartment.

The creepy property manager came in today, with 2 older professional workman, and my super's wife... Artie was in his quilt/tent the entire time. He did not move at all. One of them even went outside on the balcony. These men were very quiet. The PM was his typical pompous self, but the guys put him in his place, very softly, by ignoring him and listening to me.

Yesterday, I did tell him that the 'bad man' was coming in here today, and to stay away from him. He listened to me!!!
:clap:Good Artie, listening to mom :clap2: Is he also allergic to turkey? :heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me Two....

Cats are very intuitive and they KNOW when people are "bad". I always let my cats be the judge when someone comes over. I've broken relationships because I got the "high sign" that such-and-such a person was not up to feline standards. I always trust my own intuition, and even more so, theirs. ;):winkcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I am a firm believer that cats know when something is off about someone, I also am a firm believer that cats understand far more of what we say than science insists they do. And Artie knows you like no other living being. Of course he would trust your judgement on that!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all.. Happy Holiday to all who celebrate...

This week was very stressful to me; in addition to being Holy Week, for Easter.
Artie has been so good.. knowing when to leave me be; yet knowing when I need his love.. He is awesome..

His itching is continuing.. sigh
He bothers me because that is all he does: scratch..
trying some homeopathic drops.. but he is now spitting them out..

Artie is a love.. cuddled all night.. he just had to have his spine up against my body. It could not be away.. but right against me.. if I am restless, he just walks down to his cardboard box "step" to sleep next to the bed..
So sweet...

His poop is a bit harder.. sigh.. not feeding him as much of the other junky food-with chicken.. you can see the affect in his stool.. sigh..

that is about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.