Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is having an "off" day today. I cannot put my finger on the reason.

I did, unceremoniously, interrupt him this morning while he was in the middle of his post-poop washing, for medicine. It was early, I was tired, so I scooped him up..

He was not happy about that! He could not finish washing; nor, could we do the 'chase' dance!!!
He was even fighting the meds.. weird.

Artie has eaten well. He was very antsy this morning. He just could not settle down.
He kept going in and out of my closet; back and forth all over the place. Not wanting to play, and not wanting to settle down. He kept wandering around; sat for a few minutes and then up again. I do not think he was in pain.. I think he was just antsy...

When it became time for his sub-q's he was fidgety. He would not even stay still for that.
Once I got the needle in, he was ok.. but until then.. I literally had to put him on top of his small cat tree, push him down (gently), and then get the sub-q bag.
Strange..

I went out; came home to a licked clean bowl of food. So far, he has eaten 3/4 of a small can of FF turkey with giblets.

He is sleeping in his tent, since before I left, at 11AM..

Another Snow storm tomorrow, so I plan to stay in... will see how he acts then.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
No, I do not think Artie is sensing the storm. He has not acted this way with other storms.

There is 'something' which I cannot put my finger on. He is not peeing as much, only 3 times a day, compared to 5. ~~ his pee clumps have always been huge.. now they are a bit smaller.... and he is sometimes going back and forth into the litter box.
He does eat more dry, but....

This morning: he went towards his litter box, several times.. not going in there, but near...finally he peed.. not a huge clump, but a big pee.
Then went flying, like a bat out of heck.. into my bathroom sink.. He started rubbing his face against the faucet. I put the water on. Artie drank a log of water..

He did poop today.. storm is going to fizzle out, until tonight...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think Artie has some urinary issue? Like a cystitis?
Not quite sure about that. I am watching him closely. When I adopted him, he ended up with an episode of FLUTd... I am aware of the symptoms. I am going to keep watch..

Thinking I may just take him in for the exams, and get it over with.. although, I hate to stress him out. He is in a fairly good place, right now..

So hard to tell with him.. He is getting intermittent bursts of kitten like energy; and exhibiting his older habits: sleeping on my bed during the day, running and playing at times. He is eating fairly well; he is pooping ok ~ due to me watching and adjusting things... so I am at a loss.

Am I worrying too much? I cannot put my finger on it.. Is he just being a normal cat? Although, Artie is NOT a 'Normal" cat.

He did sass me a ton, when I got out of bed. OMGosh.. All because he had a huge pee clump in his litter box. and he wanted his FF wet food for breakfast.

We did do a small 'chase' around the place.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We cat parents do worry a lot. It's hard not to, when our babies can't talk. :petcat:

It seems likely that he's probably peeing less if he's eating more dry food, and less canned. Maybe add a bit of water to his FF, although you probably already do that.

The huge pee clump in his litter box seems like a good thing. But I have a girl cat, not a boy, so I'm not as concerned about pee issues. Though, ironically, Ruby had a UTI a year or so ago. It was totally obvious, though, as one morning I found tons of teeny tiny pee clumps in the litter box, and then realized she kept going in the box over and over and over. Poor baby. Antibiotics cleared it up quickly though. :catrub:
Anyway, with Artie, I'd say, go with your gut, as you gut is rarely wrong. :heartshape:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he just being a normal cat? Although, Artie is NOT a 'Normal" cat.
This is so true, although he is a perfectly normal Artie. But he's eating well, and pooping. I would consider having the tests, myself, since he is peeing less and in slightly smaller quantities. Whatever is causing it will be easier to deal with earlier rather than later. Let me know when he is going, so I can be "with" you both!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I did alert NVet's secretary, during our daily update. She is all for whatever I decide, and will run it by NVet.. I can very easily get him in for a Tech appointment for the Blood test and urinalysis. She will just alert the NVet, before the appointment, to see if he wants anything else added in--- or even a quickie Vet Appointment..

I say quickie, because Nvet would just take a quick look at him, when he was having his tests done... that is, if he was available.. or make himself available..

I think if I brought Artie in, and NVet did not do a quick evaluation on him; his Secretary would give him a piece of her mind.... seriously...

Artie is acting ok, today... except, he is now reverting back to 'old' behavior... He was like a 'Flat Stanley' curled up on my bed, mid-morning.. He took his sub-q's and meds really good.

He has eaten an entire small can of FF Shrimp, Salmon and Cod.. by 3pm.. so he needs one of those 1/2 packs of food, before I give him his nightly dry FR food.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did alert NVet's secretary, during our daily update. She is all for whatever I decide, and will run it by NVet.. I can very easily get him in for a Tech appointment for the Blood test and urinalysis. She will just alert the NVet, before the appointment, to see if he wants anything else added in--- or even a quickie Vet Appointment..

I say quickie, because Nvet would just take a quick look at him, when he was having his tests done... that is, if he was available.. or make himself available..

I think if I brought Artie in, and NVet did not do a quick evaluation on him; his Secretary would give him a piece of her mind.... seriously...

Artie is acting ok, today... except, he is now reverting back to 'old' behavior... He was like a 'Flat Stanley' curled up on my bed, mid-morning.. He took his sub-q's and meds really good.

He has eaten an entire small can of FF Shrimp, Salmon and Cod.. by 3pm.. so he needs one of those 1/2 packs of food, before I give him his nightly dry FR food.
Well, he's eating well, and urinating well, too, with the different diet -- I don't see anything to worry about, but you know your Artie man! I agree with other posters -- trust your intuition, and Artie! HAGE/N both! ;):redcat:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hey All. I have not been neglecting you; just not knowing how to state things which have been happening.

Artie is exhibiting very strange behavior for him. He is exhibiting behavior which he did years ago.. He is jumping onto my bathroom sink, asking for water from the faucet. I open it, and he drinks.. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now; however, it occurred several times early Friday Morning. He drank a lot. He has 2 water dishes, in separate spots, which are washed out daily; filtered water is placed in them.

He used to act this way, years ago. I tried a couple of different fountains for him, but he refused both, wanting the water directing from the faucet.

Artie is also spending a ton of time on my bed. He has not done that for a very long time.
Yesterday, he spent all day on my bed. This morning, he automatically went on my bed, instead of his cat tree (used to always be on it) or his quilt....strange

Do not know if it because the NVet mentioned that his creatinine was slightly elevated, but I have been more aware of his litter box behavior--pee.

He used to pee several times a day. The pee clumps were huge.. I mean Mega Pee...

Over the past month, he has decreased the amount of times he pees.. Mega Pee, but only a couple times a day. This, again has me concerned. I used to scoop a few times a day.. now, I do not have to. I only scoop a couple of times a day.. for pee.

And he is so, so, so itch... chicken in the food.. I cannot get him away from it; no matter what I do,or try.

This morning, I noticed another clump of fur missing from around his ear. And there is the beginnings of thinning fur at the back of his ear, going down... sigh..

Artie did vomit a huge furball today. It had the huge clump of fur which he is missing. It was so big.

He was hungry after vomiting. I had had given him TikiCat tuna with crab. He is not a fan of crab. He refused that food, after vomiting. I gave him some dry.. refused that, but wanted to eat. I opened up a can of RedBarn lamb.. nope.. he refused that also..

He was asking for food.. I know, I probably should not have given in, but.. I opened up a can of FF fish.. sigh...

I am really at a loss.

Do I take him in for the renal profile blood and urine? or do I let it go? If I let it go, and he gets worse, will I be devastated by not doing it sooner??? Or do I just let him go, knowing that he could have kidney disease, as most cats end up with.. or let it go...

Could he just be getting more comfortable and happy with his current food selection: thus displaying kittenish behavior? Or is the chicken allergy wrecking havoc on him??

I am so confused. I am not one to make decisions easily.. I always second guess myself.
He has so many issues.. and I always worry. I need to stop doing that.

And, am I really looking for something?? Am I crazed that I cannot enjoy him as he is currently??

Artie did poop this morning, normal.. yesterday, it was a cow patty -- getting all over his back.

He is eating between 3/4 to 1 can of food daily, with around 1/3 cup of dry during the night.

Artie yells Good Morning to me every morning.. not waking me up, but coming over to yell at me... and then we play chase, as I open things up, and get his meds ready.
Yes, we play chase for 15 minutes before I can give him the morning meds.

Anyway, he is a happy cat now.. full tummy, played this morning, got brushed, has a clean litter box/litter and a clean bathroom.

Artie is curled up, in his tent...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey All. I have not been neglecting you; just not knowing how to state things which have been happening.

Artie is exhibiting very strange behavior for him. He is exhibiting behavior which he did years ago.. He is jumping onto my bathroom sink, asking for water from the faucet. I open it, and he drinks.. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now; however, it occurred several times early Friday Morning. He drank a lot. He has 2 water dishes, in separate spots, which are washed out daily; filtered water is placed in them.

He used to act this way, years ago. I tried a couple of different fountains for him, but he refused both, wanting the water directing from the faucet.

Artie is also spending a ton of time on my bed. He has not done that for a very long time.
Yesterday, he spent all day on my bed. This morning, he automatically went on my bed, instead of his cat tree (used to always be on it) or his quilt....strange

Do not know if it because the NVet mentioned that his creatinine was slightly elevated, but I have been more aware of his litter box behavior--pee.

He used to pee several times a day. The pee clumps were huge.. I mean Mega Pee...

Over the past month, he has decreased the amount of times he pees.. Mega Pee, but only a couple times a day. This, again has me concerned. I used to scoop a few times a day.. now, I do not have to. I only scoop a couple of times a day.. for pee.

And he is so, so, so itch... chicken in the food.. I cannot get him away from it; no matter what I do,or try.

This morning, I noticed another clump of fur missing from around his ear. And there is the beginnings of thinning fur at the back of his ear, going down... sigh..

Artie did vomit a huge furball today. It had the huge clump of fur which he is missing. It was so big.

He was hungry after vomiting. I had had given him TikiCat tuna with crab. He is not a fan of crab. He refused that food, after vomiting. I gave him some dry.. refused that, but wanted to eat. I opened up a can of RedBarn lamb.. nope.. he refused that also..

He was asking for food.. I know, I probably should not have given in, but.. I opened up a can of FF fish.. sigh...

I am really at a loss.

Do I take him in for the renal profile blood and urine? or do I let it go? If I let it go, and he gets worse, will I be devastated by not doing it sooner??? Or do I just let him go, knowing that he could have kidney disease, as most cats end up with.. or let it go...

Could he just be getting more comfortable and happy with his current food selection: thus displaying kittenish behavior? Or is the chicken allergy wrecking havoc on him??

I am so confused. I am not one to make decisions easily.. I always second guess myself.
He has so many issues.. and I always worry. I need to stop doing that.

And, am I really looking for something?? Am I crazed that I cannot enjoy him as he is currently??

Artie did poop this morning, normal.. yesterday, it was a cow patty -- getting all over his back.

He is eating between 3/4 to 1 can of food daily, with around 1/3 cup of dry during the night.

Artie yells Good Morning to me every morning.. not waking me up, but coming over to yell at me... and then we play chase, as I open things up, and get his meds ready.
Yes, we play chase for 15 minutes before I can give him the morning meds.

Anyway, he is a happy cat now.. full tummy, played this morning, got brushed, has a clean litter box/litter and a clean bathroom.

Artie is curled up, in his tent...
It sounds like Artie is feeling very well! Jumping in the sink? Kittenish! WOW!
As for his urinary output, you did say his dietary changes might be the reason. He is still getting Sub-Q, right? How often? As always, YOU know Artie best and if you think he should see his NVet, then he should. His pickiness about foot is "normal for Artie" and well, furballs happen. Is he enjoying being brushed as usual? As for fur sparseness, it happens. My Elvis came to me with a "lion tuft" and the rest of his tail was denuded, as was a patch at the base of his tail. He had just been to the vet and they did not diagnose him with anything, so I assumed it was kind of "normal for Elvis" although he has made wonderful progress since then, and all of his fur has filled in except for the underside of his tail. I think we're working on that. :winkcat:
All in all, it sounds from what you write that Artie is feeling well and happy, and all systems are "go". I'd be very happy about that. But again. YOU know how Artie is and if you feel he should see his vet, then by all means, trust your intuition.
Wishing you both a great CATurday and weekend!;):redcat:

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Overall he sounds happy. Since you're noticing changes in urinary behavior and are worrying about it, it sounds like you'd feel better if you bring him in for bloodwork. Otherwise you're going to torture yourself and worry about it.
The clumps of fur could be the chicken allergy, so why not feed him fancy feast fish and other meats or other things he likes and avoid chicken? My cat with allergies loves salmon and pork but is allergic to both so I just don't let him eat those two foods. He's also very picky but scratches himself raw so it's not worth it.
I'd bring him in rather than keep second guessing myself and worrying. If it is something with kidneys I've heard it's better to catch it early.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess the question is, would the Nvet prescribe a new or different medication for Artie if it was determined his renal profile had changed? Or would you continue the same as you're already doing?

Regardless, you absolutely have to do what you feel is best. It's stressful being a cat mommy sometimes. :hugs: :redheartpump: :hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.