Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brush him daily.. am getting a lot more fur, the past month...
So the past month he prodiced more fur than his usual. Does this match with when you changed his regular diet with the junk food?
If yes, then it could be some form of reaction to this food.
Or stress, if I remember it well, you had lots of working men inside/outside and around the place.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, it all coincides... along with the weather being really crazy.. new highs and new lows for the day.. I guess it could be anything; however, Artie never really vomited up fur ball; it was just food...

I am just going to see if he appears to be losing fur.. He does have a lot of new white on his body, around his eyes, and his muzzle.. .. sigh....

not wanting to tempt fate by thinking of it...another symptom...but nothing I can do about it.. Artie is liking his junk food, and is eating well.. not losing weight, we seem to have found some kind of happy medium..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In certain situations we have to find a balance between what should be good for them and what they like.
Artie lives in a situation of the kind.

Don't know about the white fur around eyes and muzzle. As far as I know cats do not show age this way, I mean, their coat doesn't change (or shouldn't change) to gray or white like dogs' fur does.
Probably black cats might turn to chocolate, but that's it.

Over here the weather is much warmer than it should be, so if our cats shed more fur there's a good reason.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My horses are shedding already. They start in January every year as soon as the days start getting longer.
I've never been cats get gray hair. But you can tell they get older. Their nails get thicker and much tougher to cut, they get arthritis and slow down and have more trouble jumping and running, doesn't sound like Artie!, They can lose a bit of weight and their faces change a bit.
I've had two black cats and a tuxedo all live to be around fifteen or sixteen, none of them turned to chocolate they all stayed black til the very end.
Horses and dogs get white or silver hairs around their muzzle and my old horse has white all around her forehead now too, but she's very old.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just stopping in to read any updates.
I'm glad Artie is eating better. Even if not the best of food, it's great that he's eating. :thumbsup:
Have you tried maybe mixing the good food w/ the not so good food, to see if he'd eat it? Then at least maybe he'd be getting more of the good food....
I hope your day wasn't too crazy, & you have a relaxing weekend. :)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie update:
Artie is still shedding and grooming a ton. Yes, he had another fur ball vomit this morning! Sigh... too many.. I have never seen him vomit this many fur balls, and losing this much fur. He actually looks skinnier than usual.

He has an appointment with NVet this week.. we are playing it by ear as to if he keeps it or not.

Artie did wake me up with a huge MEOW in the ear this morning.. very early. I thought he would have to poop, but no, he was investigating and causing mischief as I was lying in bed! Then he proceeded to vomit..

He is eating ok.. about 1 small can of food per day and about 1/3- 1/4 cup of dry during the night.. that is pretty consistent.. although, I wish he would eat a bit more..

No poops yesterday.. Thursday, it was 7 inches of normal..

Artie is really sweet. He has memorized my night time routine: me picking up his food dishes, his cisapride med, me brushing teeth, pulling bed down, bathroom, lights, and then leaving out food for him.

Artie follows me around while I do this.. well, except for the med. When I go into the refrigerator to take out the cisapride, he runs away to hide.. yup, hide & seek, chase, each night-- just when I am sleepy...

Then he follows me into my bedroom, waits until I get comfy in bed, about 5-10 minutes.. then brrrrmupms, his way on the bed, gently...curls up and sleeps..

He was so sweet the other night. I was lying on my left side, on the right side of the bed--my hand up on the pillow. I was right at the edge of the bed. Artie jumped up, walked all over me; settling down on the other pillow. He originally had his bum towards me, then turned to face me. We were face to face... He put his paw over my hand, grabbing my index finger. He then proceeded to give me a few 'squeezes' with his paw, around my
index finger. This was not a fluke. He did it several times.. then put his head down on top of my hand... sweet boy...

That is it so far.. not much sleep.. too much TV, along with a cat waking me up very early...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
He was so sweet the other night. I was lying on my left side, on the right side of the bed--my hand up on the pillow. I was right at the edge of the bed. Artie jumped up, walked all over me; settling down on the other pillow. He originally had his bum towards me, then turned to face me. We were face to face... He put his paw over my hand, grabbing my index finger. He then proceeded to give me a few 'squeezes' with his paw, around my index finger. This was not a fluke. He did it several times.. then put his head down on top of my hand... sweet boy...
Reading this made my day! :thumbsup: I knew Artie was a love bug but with your vivid description I can just picture his affection for you. :itslove:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie update:
Artie is still shedding and grooming a ton. Yes, he had another fur ball vomit this morning! Sigh... too many.. I have never seen him vomit this many fur balls, and losing this much fur. He actually looks skinnier than usual.

He has an appointment with NVet this week.. we are playing it by ear as to if he keeps it or not.

Artie did wake me up with a huge MEOW in the ear this morning.. very early. I thought he would have to poop, but no, he was investigating and causing mischief as I was lying in bed! Then he proceeded to vomit..

He is eating ok.. about 1 small can of food per day and about 1/3- 1/4 cup of dry during the night.. that is pretty consistent.. although, I wish he would eat a bit more..

No poops yesterday.. Thursday, it was 7 inches of normal..

Artie is really sweet. He has memorized my night time routine: me picking up his food dishes, his cisapride med, me brushing teeth, pulling bed down, bathroom, lights, and then leaving out food for him.

Artie follows me around while I do this.. well, except for the med. When I go into the refrigerator to take out the cisapride, he runs away to hide.. yup, hide & seek, chase, each night-- just when I am sleepy...

Then he follows me into my bedroom, waits until I get comfy in bed, about 5-10 minutes.. then brrrrmupms, his way on the bed, gently...curls up and sleeps..

He was so sweet the other night. I was lying on my left side, on the right side of the bed--my hand up on the pillow. I was right at the edge of the bed. Artie jumped up, walked all over me; settling down on the other pillow. He originally had his bum towards me, then turned to face me. We were face to face... He put his paw over my hand, grabbing my index finger. He then proceeded to give me a few 'squeezes' with his paw, around my
index finger. This was not a fluke. He did it several times.. then put his head down on top of my hand... sweet boy...

That is it so far.. not much sleep.. too much TV, along with a cat waking me up very early...
"brrrrmupms" -- what an excellent descriptive for that sound and sensation! I wish I'd said that. But I'm glad you did. :crackup:Sounds like you two are having a basically blissful weekend! *And I know about the furballs, too. That's been known to happen around here.* What a little lovebug Artie is! *SNORGLES* from me to him, and wishing you both a good rest of the weekend and onward!:yess::cloud9::redcat:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Not such good news

Artie is not doing well... sigh..
He changes so fast.. several things going on..

He has had a lump on his lover neck, collar bone area. I originally thought it was a skin tag, but it has enlarged quite a bit. This morning, when I was holding and petting him, I felt a huge scabby thing. I tried to get a look at it, while it was very early in the morning.
I immediately thought of ringworm; however, how can an indoor cat, without visitors, pick it up? and I do not have it also..

Took a good look at it later in the morning. It was a large scab.. Artie must have scratched himself! I did clip his back claws yesterday; perhaps I cut a claw , making it very sharp?? or he was that itchy.... sigh...

Late tonight, Artie Howled and vomited, again!! He did vomit again yesterday, a fur ball. This afternoon, it was just foam ..... sigh...

I am feeling this is all due to his chicken allergy and the junk food. sigh..

I also caught him twitching a lot, the past couple of nights-- could be a sign of his calcium level elevating, even more... sigh...

Not feeling so good about him... I am so glad that we have an appointment with NVet on Thursday..

In addition, I have had a terrible week, especially the past few days, with my asthma.. taking it easy.. and I have not been sleeping well.. I am now running 2 air purifiers 24/7..
I swear it is aggravated because of the fumes from the new, cheap carpeting in the halls of the building.. the smell is permeating everywhere.. it is gross. I have a double sided draft dodger and a large bath towel, blocking the bottom of my apartment door.

Tomorrow is just a trip to pick up some compounded cisapride for him, come home, get back into my pj's and do nothing, again...

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not such good news

Artie is not doing well... sigh..
He changes so fast.. several things going on..

He has had a lump on his lover neck, collar bone area. I originally thought it was a skin tag, but it has enlarged quite a bit. This morning, when I was holding and petting him, I felt a huge scabby thing. I tried to get a look at it, while it was very early in the morning.
I immediately thought of ringworm; however, how can an indoor cat, without visitors, pick it up? and I do not have it also..

Took a good look at it later in the morning. It was a large scab.. Artie must have scratched himself! I did clip his back claws yesterday; perhaps I cut a claw , making it very sharp?? or he was that itchy.... sigh...

Late tonight, Artie Howled and vomited, again!! He did vomit again yesterday, a fur ball. This afternoon, it was just foam ..... sigh...

I am feeling this is all due to his chicken allergy and the junk food. sigh..

I also caught him twitching a lot, the past couple of nights-- could be a sign of his calcium level elevating, even more... sigh...

Not feeling so good about him... I am so glad that we have an appointment with NVet on Thursday..

In addition, I have had a terrible week, especially the past few days, with my asthma.. taking it easy.. and I have not been sleeping well.. I am now running 2 air purifiers 24/7..
I swear it is aggravated because of the fumes from the new, cheap carpeting in the halls of the building.. the smell is permeating everywhere.. it is gross. I have a double sided draft dodger and a large bath towel, blocking the bottom of my apartment door.

Tomorrow is just a trip to pick up some compounded cisapride for him, come home, get back into my pj's and do nothing, again...
So sorry to hear both you and Artie and not feeling so great. It's so very stressful being a caretaker for an ill loved one. Perhaps NVet would get some Veterycin for him, it works very well on my kitties scrapes and cuts, even my own. Since I've used it, its on the label not for human use but it works just fine. I've not had a cat bite get infected on me. The twitching is a little alarming. When he does it is it just a leg or his whole body? I'm hoping you both are on the mend soon.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear both you and Artie and not feeling so great. It's so very stressful being a caretaker for an ill loved one. Perhaps NVet would get some Veterycin for him, it works very well on my kitties scrapes and cuts, even my own. Since I've used it, its on the label not for human use but it works just fine. I've not had a cat bite get infected on me. The twitching is a little alarming. When he does it is it just a leg or his whole body? I'm hoping you both are on the mend soon.
To explain about the twitching. It is during his sleep.. Yes, that is normal--cats dream, but it can also be associated with elevated Calcium levels.. Artie's sleep twitching was very much increased, just before we found out he has hypercalcemia.. just me thinking of 'bad things'

I gave him a Cerenia, tonight.
He ended up pooping again. a clump of almost diarrhea, with gas... poor baby...

NVet is not in office until Wednesday. HIs secretary has contact with him daily, and knows how to reach him.. Artie sees him on Thursday.. It will work out one way or another.
I want NVet to be aware of the skin lump and the scab, before I get in.. just so he may have a new game plan of action, or advice...or can nab a dermatologist to take a quick look.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I have no suggestions or advice except that I hope your asthma improves from the side effects of the new hallway carpet in your building. Perhaps you could put a two-sided draft stopper like this one which says it helps noise and fumes:And I sincerely hope NVet can help Artie's latest skin problem or, as you said, nab a dermatologist. Sending special thoughts and hugs to both of you this week. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.