Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except, Artie would EAT the leaves!!!! Darn Cat!!
Those leaves are hard and sharp! :eek:
After the first bite he would keep away from them ;)

Woke up to find some vomit on the rug in his room. It was mixed with a bit of fur, so I am hoping he had a tiny fur ball. Artie ate really good last night, but nothing today.. no appetite..sigh.. I am going to wait and see how he reacts when he wake sup from his daytime sleep. No, not a nap, a 'sleep'.. all day..
Hopefully it's just a bit of upset stomach after the vomiting.
It happens over here too. When Pallina throws up a mix of hairball and juices she doesn't feel like eating afterwards.
Give him time. And kisses and cuddles!
What I have found with Pallina is that lots of cuddles and kisses wake up her appetite :)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It was 5pm and Artie had not eaten. I was debating about giving him a dose of Cerenia; but decided to wait another hour.

At 6:30pm, he was still sleeping, with food. I got the Cerenia pill, cut it in half, put it in an empty gel cap, got the pill gun, and was ready.... then, a little voice in my head said to me, "Wait a bit longer. It could have just been a small fur ball~~ like a normal cat".. so I waited..

Artie went over to eat at around 7:15pm... Glad I waited. he ate 1/3 of a can at that sitting.. then he ate another 1/3 before bedtime; along with 1/4 can during the night and 1/3 cup of dry food... so he is good.

I am glad for that 'little voice'...

And he pooped last night at my bedtime. It was 7 inches of soft poop.. less lactulose and miralax today.. OMG.. he was so bad with the lactulose.. I swear he forces himself to aspirate it, and then to vomit it up.. I am beside myself when I give it to him..

On another note: Off topic... As you know, Dentist on Monday... well, Saturday, or was it Sunday, somehow, I think I had my glasses off, and I literally walked into the edge of a door. I was cleaning, do not know why I had my glasses off, but I did it.. I do not even remember how it happened, but I remember saying that I was going to get a black eye and my reason would be from walking into the door!

No black eye, but the corner of the eye has been very sore, scratchy, and tearing.
I started thinking about conjunctivitis, yesterday... It looked swollen in the outer edge..

Woke up this morning, took a look at my eye and shocked.. The inner half of the eyelid, is swollen.. test it is tearing bit, but the ey does not feel bad..

I am wondering if I should call the doctor.. and which doctor, My PCP, my eye doctor, or just go to Urgent Care?? and if this would effect the dental surgery? I am beginning eh amoxicillin tomorrow... sigh.. always something going wrong at the wrong time..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie went over to eat at around 7:15pm... Glad I waited. he ate 1/3 of a can at that sitting.. then he ate another 1/3 before bedtime; along with 1/4 can during the night and 1/3 cup of dry food... so he is good.

I am glad for that 'little voice'...
:hyper: Maybe it was just like I said, he needed to recover, to rest for a while, after that nasty hairball.
Now he's back, ready to fight!

And he pooped last night at my bedtime. It was 7 inches of soft poop.. l
Another good news!

Woke up this morning, took a look at my eye and shocked.. The inner half of the eyelid, is swollen.. test it is tearing bit, but the ey does not feel bad..

I am wondering if I should call the doctor.. and which doctor, My PCP, my eye doctor, or just go to Urgent Care?? and if this would effect the dental surgery? I am beginning eh amoxicillin tomorrow... sigh.. always something going wrong at the wrong time..
This is not good news :disappointed:
I think you should call your doctor and/or the dentist and tell them what happened.
Hopefully it is nothing that will force you to postpone the dental.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
Those "little voices" can be helpful; glad you listened and Artie ate and pooped!!

Regarding Dentist & surgery :alright: :hugs:

I recently had to have 1 extraction and periodontal surgery. Both my parents had/have periodontal disease which gave me a double whammy hereditarily.
I had a frenectomy (sp) along with a gingivectomy when I was 17. The whole procedure was brutal but that was because I wasn't numbed properly! The recovery wasn't too bad but I was only 17 :lol:

Sounds like you have a good Periodontist. I get so anxious ( like a lot of people) I had to take an anti anxiety medication prior to my procedure. When my wisdom teeth were removed I was actually instructed to take one prior to the appointment.

I made sure I had the nitrous oxide gas during the procedure and my dentist was VERY CAREFUL to make sure that I was fully deadened... he didn't rush it.

I will be thinking of you on Monday as I too have a dentist appointment. It will be my first perio-maintenance cleaning since my LANAP procedure (and I will ABSOLUTELY ask for the gas :D) !

Sounds like you have good docs working for you! Enjoy the pineapple & know I'm thinking of you and Artie!

((Hugs))
Tina

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys...
My eye looks and feels better. I did apply a cold compress to it.. The white area is fine, not blood shot at all; just feels a bit scratchy. I am going to see what happens during the day. If it oozes or begins swelling or watering more, I will definitely contact the doctors tomorrow.

LotsOfFur LotsOfFur I feel for you.. I really do.. my issue is a combination of bad dentistry when I was younger and genetics.. also fear of dentist..
I had all the stuff done to me when I was in my early 30's... bridges, root canals, accesses cleaned out, root lengthening, crowns, flap procedures. You name it, I had it done.. and it was all done under local, novocaine.

I am having local anesthesia for the procedures. I know... but this is less expensive and faster. I do not have to worry about being groggy when I am home, alone, taking care of Artie, his issues, his meds.. I can be fully conscious, and in control. I will not have to worry about being groggy at all, or even tripping over Artie, who will be all over me from he dentist smell..

I make sure they use a ton of novocaine; and I wear headphones... now earplugs while listening to loud music.. not certain which station I want; loud Country, Loud Classical, Loud Pop... but not anything to get me into the beat...I close my eyes and let them do what they need to do..

gotta get going..

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 It is scheduled for 9:45 AM, EST.....

think I need a candle for my eye also....

And for Artie.. For some reason, out of the blue, he vomited 4 times today... In between, I gave him a cerenia pill, but he vomited 15 minutes later... I did not see the pill in the vomit.. each time, it was just liquid.. This was in the space of 40 minutes.
He ate great last night and for breakfast...sigh

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! :hellocomputer: The Artie's Army continues to fight!!!! :lol:

Artie is Artie.. He has diminished his food intake just a tad.. like 1/4-1/3 can, less than usual, but he is still eating.. and he is pooping! I try to make him have a couple of Megapoops a week!! Poop Fairy, got that???

His weight is still stable. I have not weighed him in a couple weeks, but he feels the same.

Seriously, that is the key to him. If he does not poop, he does not eat..

He had a Megapoop Saturday night.. about 11 inches.. He did 7 inches on Friday and 5.5 inches yesterday; with another 5 soft inches this morning.. so less lactulose and miralax today.

He is alert.. does sleep a lot..seems to like to wake me up, around 6:30 AM.. Sometimes earlier but I think that is when he has to poop. I think he wakes me up because he has to poop... yes, I trained him. I wipe his bum.. he always has a bit of poop hanging out...it is like one of those old fashioned, before indoor plumbing, kitchen crank faucet. I lift his tail, poop squeezes out. I wipe it, tail goes down, no poop, yet if I lift it up again, more poop cranks out!!! :flail:

I know he is waking me up for that.. He has a newer habit of sleeping on my pillows.. yes, he is leaving a spot every morning...glad I have a ton of pillowcases, and do not care if they match or not.. sheets are white.. so who cares?

He has been playing a bit each day.. it is automatic after our brushing session. Artie will just jump down and wait for me to get one of his toys out.. He has been having a lot of the zoomies, lately.. and playing ball with me.. not long, but he does..

Each morning, Artie follows me all around, being my "Follow"..

I am having a more difficult time getting the sub-q needle inserted correctly. I think he has adhesions from the daily sticks. Poor baby. The needle seems to just go through his skin and out the other side, no matter how carefully I stick him, or it just sits there, without any flow... poor baby.. I have had to resort to the harpoons..They do go in better, but he can feel it a bit more.. poor thing.. :frown: I found that he does not like the faster flow, so I slow the flow down. I am now taking a small dish towel an placing it near him, to absorb the waste.. sigh:(

Artie had a sleepy day yesterday, and will have a sleepy day today. It is foggy outside, and we will be getting rain tomorrow afternoon and Wednesday.

I am stocking up on some food for him, today, and picking up a few things at the dreaded Walmart. They have some things there, that I cannot get elsewhere. I absolutely hate going to Walgreens... plus the WM is on the way to the Vet's.

Stocking up because a week from today, I will be in pain ~~~ Dental surgery, finally!!!!!! I am dreading it, but want it to be done and over with. This has lingered long enough. Now that I have a decision, it is time for action..

Lazy morning.. bills, shredding, brushing and playing with Artie, his meds, and just lazing around. Now I really have to get going... It is now the afternoon!! OMG!!

:argh: :argh: :livid: :angrywoman:

Waiting for the rainy day to pick up around here... other days are for errands.
As long as he's eating pretty well and eliminating, we'll give him a GOOD MAN, ARTIE! :winkcat:
Hope and pray the sub-Q sessions go easier for you both. I guess I felt it almost more than my angel Moti did when I had to give them to her - I was so afraid of causing her discomfort and she was such a little trooper!
Oh, good on ya for being brave and going ahead and doing the surgery. You'll undoubtedly end up feeling good that you went ahead with it. Who likes having these things done? but you're right -- sometimes we just have to deal with it.
All the BEST to/for you and Artie! :winkcat:;)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thanks for the candle and fairy.. I think they worked!! My eye is a lot better... it was improved this morning, and now, it feels really good... I did use cold compresses a couple times yesterday and this morning..

Artie ate a bit last nigh--mostly licking the juice, and again this morning.. He also ate a bit of dry food during the night...

No poop yesterday and today.. He needs a MEGAPOOP!!

I gave him 1/2 of a cyproheptadine..(appetite)... if it does not work, I will give him another cerenia tonight.. He slept most of the day.. I had to wake him up!! He was not a happy camper.. tried to nip me.. crazy cat.. but he did go over to his food, and walk away. I gave him the cypro, and I think he may be eating some, now... I am afraid to move, lest I make noise, causing him to stop..

Artie came out of the kitchen. I asked if he Num-Nummed? He licked his lips.. so he ate a bit...mostly juice.. now digging in box....He POOPED!!! Not a Megapoop, but a poop:
6.5 x 1 inch.. I cleaned him, and he is off to the kitchen again.. he wants NEW food...
NO Way...Artie can eat what I left him.. He will.. the cypro should be kicking in soon..

Pizza is here!!!! YUM!!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave him the cypro, and I think he may be eating some, now... I am afraid to move, lest I make noise, causing him to stop..
I'm not the only one, so :)
When Pallina is eating I turn myself into a statue, not a move, not a sound... I wouldn't like to be the cause for her to stop eating. Are we crazy? :biggrin:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I guess fresh pineapples contain bromeliads, which aid in decreasing inflammation.
Thanks, this is a great tip to know about prior to dental surgery. :thumbsup: I can feel your pain and will be thinking of you fondly on Monday. I started having periodontal problems my senior year of college. Another helpful tip, although you probably already know it, is to start icing on the side of your mouth where you have the surgery ASAP. I actually drove home from my last surgery with one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding an ice pack up to the side of my face. :eek2:

Glad Artie ate and pooped albeit not a megapoop. He can be so compliant when he wants to. ;)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Thanks for the candle and fairy.. I think they worked!! My eye is a lot better... it was improved this morning, and now, it feels really good... I did use cold compresses a couple times yesterday and this morning..

Artie ate a bit last nigh--mostly licking the juice, and again this morning.. He also ate a bit of dry food during the night...

No poop yesterday and today.. He needs a MEGAPOOP!!

I gave him 1/2 of a cyproheptadine..(appetite)... if it does not work, I will give him another cerenia tonight.. He slept most of the day.. I had to wake him up!! He was not a happy camper.. tried to nip me.. crazy cat.. but he did go over to his food, and walk away. I gave him the cypro, and I think he may be eating some, now... I am afraid to move, lest I make noise, causing him to stop..

Artie came out of the kitchen. I asked if he Num-Nummed? He licked his lips.. so he ate a bit...mostly juice.. now digging in box....He POOPED!!! Not a Megapoop, but a poop:
6.5 x 1 inch.. I cleaned him, and he is off to the kitchen again.. he wants NEW food...
NO Way...Artie can eat what I left him.. He will.. the cypro should be kicking in soon..

Pizza is here!!!! YUM!!
Excellent news all around. Enjoy the evening with good man Artie and I hope the pizza is just how you like it!:winkcat::compsurfing:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all... Artie is eating very strangely tonight.. and acting strangely.. I did give him the cypro. Instead of eating his wet food, he refused it. I added some fresh to the mix, and he still ignored it~~~ mostly licking the juice.

I dumped that, took some food out from the refrigerator, into a new bowl. Artie does not mind cold food. He only sniffed it, perhaps licking the juice, again...sigh.. He kept going back and forth to the food.

I finally gave him some dry food. He wolfed that down, about 1/4 cup.. He is preferring the dry to the wet, but licking the juice from the wet... so strange...

In my mind, I was thinking: Perhaps he is a bit nauseous; so I gave him a Cerenia...
Honestly, I do not know if it helped or not.. I do not see a difference. I gave him another
1/4 cup of dry food. He has eaten about half of that, and a tiny bit of wet, mostly the juice...

So far daytime, he has eaten about 1/3 cup of dry food. Last night he ate another 1/3 cup of dry... so 2/3 cup of dry in 24 hours, and perhaps 1/3 cup of wet ~~ or 1/4.. I have to review my notes. He has lost a bit of weight..

I knew I jinxed us, because I bought a case of food....and I posted pictures.. but the case of food seems to be the real jinx... sigh.. and the good update on here...sigh...

I am hoping he will be returned to his "Normal" self, tomorrow...sigh

Almost time for bed, but I am still awake.. Artie may not have eaten much the past couple days, but I made up for it....cold, liquid diet next week.

I keep thinking and wondering if Artie got a piece of his toy and ate it, before I got it away from him.. It was one of those toys on a wand. It is old and is one of his favorites. It is a funky looking 'bug-thing' with a small feather on the end.. Artie usually just destroys the feather, and I pick it up. I know.. but it is hard to get him to play, sometimes, and I know he needs the exercise. I do not take it out very often, and watch him like a hawk when he gets too rambunctious with biting it. ... The 'toy' part broke off, the other day. I grabbed it as fast as I could, but perhaps Artie ate a bit of the feather????

I am kicking myself if this is the source of his vomiting and inappetence. I am so careful with things around here. I even have the pineapple wrapped up, like a package, in brown paper bags because I do not want him going after the leaves.. Not even using plastic bags as liners in my small baskets.. I have nothing he can eat.. I moved my one silk flower arrangement to a higher shelf because I caught him munching on it last month...
Artie cannot reach it now..

I will feel better when he eats the wet food.

I am going to have to leave NVet's secretary a long post about this past week. I will not be able to talk to her on Monday and possibly Tuesday. She has not been in this week. I called and asked about here, leaving an update for NVet with another receptionist. I really do like the fact that we brainstorm about things, and she checks with Nvet on things.

I am planning on staying home tomorrow, and just pick up around here. It is going to be a terrible rainstorm on Sunday and Monday. I am planning on picking up a couple of bananas, for smoothies, a small container of ice cream, and some almond milk, on Sunday.... If I try to get it on Saturday, the stores will be mobbed. I plan to go right after Church on Sunday.

Fingers crossed about Artie... my baby..

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hope Artie had a good night. And you too. Do you suppose Artie is picking up on your anxiety about the dentist?

Hope you're enjoying your pineapple. I haven't had fresh pineapple in years, and after you posted about it, I looked at the containers of fresh pineapple at the store, and they were $4.00 each. Guess it's cheaper, as usual, to buy the whole fruit. Might splurge and buy a container though, just to try it again.

As for your liquid diet next week, I had a tooth out last year, so stocked up on soft stuff. I bought flavoured Greek Yogurt for the protein, ice cream (of course), some of those flavoured snack size apple sauces, and some pudding cups. As it was only 1 tooth, I was able to eat pretty normally by the 3rd day, chewing on the other side of my mouth, but 2 days of liquid-y food left me starving for something solid, and a little light headed. Make sure you get enough calories, as I think that might have been part of my problem. Though if you need to lose any weight, a liquid diet might help. ;)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the info.. Yes, I have all that stuff in my refrigerator...Pineapple begins today!
Antibiotic was begun yesterday--twice a day, along with Activia yogurt, and a possible probiotic, if I feel I need it...

I am having a bit more than the one extraction.. I have had single extractions before.
I also have some potatoes in the house and some Pastina (tiny star pasta) which I love with just butter.. Yes, I do need to lose a ton of weight.. so we will see.. but all these liquid, soft foods contain a ton of calories.. but....I also bought some frozen Italian Ice. I think that may be a good idea for cold. At least, my friend, who had an implant last year, thought it was helpful.

I really do not want to leave the house, unless I have to... or are going stir crazy.. who knows how I will feel.. but at least I have options.

I asked my cousin to pick up Artie's compounded medicine, which runs out next week. He said he would definitely get it for Artie. I think I will call the script in this week-end, for them to prepare it...need to give at least a 24 hour notice, cannot be picked up on
week-ends (small, independent, family owned pharmacy)
Artie ate 1/3 of a can of wet food during the night. He wanted breakfast, but refused a new can of food... dam cat... he is beginning his "I want a different food".. I can tell..
This is why I jump on things with meds, every time he vomits.. I do not want him to get into 'that mood".....

Artie decided to cuddle around 4AM. I caught him in a different spot on my bed last week.. He lays in the bottom corner of my bed, while I am sleeping. He is still with me, not alone, yet he is not strait-jacketing me with his cuddles. Sweet boy. I noticed this last week.

He did poop a tiny bit~ only 3 hard pieces, totaling 5 inches. I know the dry food does cause his stool to become harder.. He is going back to his regular dose of Lactulose today..

A very busy day today; between picking up around here, putting laundry away, cleaning pineapple, cleaning off the balcony, washing bed linens, re-making bed, and medicating Artie. It will be a full day. If I know me, I will get a late start on it..

Tomorrow will be up very early for Mass. We are getting a Rain Nor'Easter for 2 days.
I do want to go to Trader Joes to pick up a couple of things.. The grocery store will be mobbed.. I want a couple of bananas (smoothies) and a couple boxes of Almond milk (cheaper there), and a small container of chocolate ice cream (really good), and free range eggs for egg salad, without the bread.

The main road, highway, that Trader Joes is on, is a path leading up north, for Tree Peepers (foliage), and a route towards Salem, MA. This being Halloween Week-end, with a wonderfully sunny day today~~ it will be mobbed. Tomorrow, it will be raining, so it will be empty, early in the morning, after mass.. as long as it is before noon, I will be ok.

Artie just went in the kitchen... let's hope it is a bit more than just licking the juice.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Status
Not open for further replies.