Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont know what happened there but my reply got caught up in your quote.
It's ok.. I saw it...

Yuck.. root canals ... but easier than surgery..

I know.. it just seems as if Dentists are such a rip-off as far as pricing.. and we have to pay someone to inflict pain on us..and such much money. I do not know why they are so expensive `~ I guess no regulations as far as pricing.. no oversight committee, except themselves... sigh...

off subject!!!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting the new Artie pics. He looks good. Sweet boy. :lovecat2:

Good luck at the dentist. How many extractions? Freezing? Or sedation?
I am having the last 2 molars on the left side extracted; and what they call a frenetomy in the front. The membrane (frenum) which attaches the front of the mouth to the center gum is too close to the gumline. I had previous work in that are, and opted not to have a graft at that time.. guess I should have gone for the graft!! but now this area needs attention. The periodontist will just snip it, hopefully with a laser, and reattach at a lower spot. I guess this is not a big deal to them, but it bothers me more than the extractions.

I am having local. Living alone, with Artie and his medication issues, I cannot be 'out for the count".

A friend offered to drive me to the dentist, pick me up, and take me to the drug store for whatever pain meds he prescribes. I am sure it will not be many.. He issues a strict protocol pre-op and post-op... pineapple 2-3 days before surgery, antibiotics 3 days before surgery, and post op for 10 days. Also, a probiotic, Activia yogurt, tylenol with advil combo.....and of course, ice!!! ice cream, smoothies, frappes, etc..

Wow! How cute Artie is!!!
I love his profile with that pronounced "stop" on his nose :) and those eyes!
In the last two photos he looke very alert, I'm glad :)
Yes, he is very alert... shush---he has been playing also.. my sweet boy--oh, I mean OUR sweet boy.. Yes, his eyes are windows to his soul.. very expressive. I love his nose....

Lovely photos. His coat is a really rich colour. That last photo is special
For some reason, or maybe it is my eyesight, his coloring is much richer in the photos... but, looking at him now, in the light, it is a rich color.

I especially like the last photo.. I think they all show out his whiskers. Currently they are so long.. and curly... That is the real reason for the pictures. I wanted to get his whiskers...

Artie is fresh also... He is back to sassing me, when it is time for his medicine, and hiding from me... now it is first thing in the morning!!! He went under my bed!! Used to only be for the lactulose, now it is for everything.. I decided to ignore him..

Yup, it worked... he came out and I grabbed him.... Ha Ha..:flail:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

and of course, ice!!! ice cream, smoothies, frappes, etc..

This sounds like the best part of the dental :lol:

[/QUOTE]
Yes, he is very alert... shush---he has been playing also.. my sweet boy--oh, I mean OUR sweet boy.. Yes, his eyes are windows to his soul.. very expressive. I love his nose....[/QUOTE]

An Irish legend says that cats' eyes are windows to another world.
They're magic, that's for sure!
Looking at Artie makes me wish I could give a big kiss on his nose and mouth ;)

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE those pictures! I remember, several months ago, a picture of Artie. He was so much thinner, and now...He looks like a different cat! I am amazed at how well he continues to do! I think there must be a special Cat Angel looking out for him!View attachment 201734
He has not changed in his weight. It is consistent.. but not below 10 lbs.
I think he just looks heavier in these pictures.. but not when I weigh him.

I agree, there are a few special 'Angels" watching over him; and me..

@Mamany1953 , I love that picture~~ so appropriate.. thank you

Artie has managed to lose a ball and a little fishey toy, somewhere in this place. The fish is a "YEOW" catnip fish... it is his baby. He bites it to death, leaving huge holes from his canine. I have to move it to the trash bin when it starts leaking catnip.
It is the perfect size for him to put the head in his mouth and chop down on it.
Where it went I do not know.. Artie also 'bats' it around, sometimes..

I put a new fish out for him, but it just does not have the attraction as the old one did. I usually rub his scent, from the old one, onto the new one.
I keep them on hand for that reason.. a stockpile of Yeow fishies!!

No poop, as of yet.. I cut back on the lactulose and the miralax a bit, because it was getting too soft last night. I did not want cow patties.. or soft serve.

Artie is sleeping. A weird day.. very tropical--humid, Cloudy; had a massive Sun Shower this afternoon. Tomorrow is a tropically humid, torrential rain day.

Another shot of Artie from last night. I was stretched out on the recliner, with 'our' throw covering me. Artie's head was on my knee.. silly boy.. yes, butt to my head...
IMG_0951.JPG

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Artie looks wonderful in that last pic. :)

Sounds like you have a good dentist who plans out everything for the patient. I've never heard of a frenetomy. So much they can do now. I've also never heard of pineapple before/after surgery, so I Googled. One thing I saw was that the pineapple should be fresh, not canned. Just thought I'd mention it, though I'm sure he told you that.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie looks wonderful in that last pic. :)

Sounds like you have a good dentist who plans out everything for the patient. I've never heard of a frenetomy. So much they can do now. I've also never heard of pineapple before/after surgery, so I Googled. One thing I saw was that the pineapple should be fresh, not canned. Just thought I'd mention it, though I'm sure he told you that.
Yes, that is the Periodontist. I like him. He is a 'traveling' periodontist. I never heard of that, but I guess he prefers the different locations. He is in this office one day a week, Mondays. He is originally from Amsterdam. Graduated from Harvard Dental. Very down to earth.

Yes, he did stress the pineapple has to be fresh. I never bought a fresh pineapple before!!! Yes, the cut up fresh ones from the grocery store, but not Whole Pineapples.

Went to the grocery store today. The had just a few pineapples. I had to ask a fellow shopper to help me. She grabbed 2 of the 4.. I took the other 2 and then I saw a small organic one. I grabbed it also. So I have one for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.. I hope I did not buy them too soon... oh well...

My kitchen looks like a Pineapple Farm...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't understood the thing of the pineapples... Are they indicated for what? Are they a source of vitamis/mineral needed prior to the dental?
I have to say that I don't love them their taste is far from my foavourite ones, but if I should do that, well, I think I would.
All the best for your dental works and a big kis to the beautiful Artie!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't understood the thing of the pineapples... Are they indicated for what? Are they a source of vitamis/mineral needed prior to the dental?
I have to say that I don't love them their taste is far from my foavourite ones, but if I should do that, well, I think I would.
All the best for your dental works and a big kis to the beautiful Artie!

Thanks for the good wishes...

I did not understand the 'thing' with the pineapples also.

I guess fresh pineapples contain bromeliads, which aid in decreasing inflammation.
Who would have known that?
I never heard of it, but people who normally eat fresh pineapples are really 'hooked' on this property of them. They said it also aids in digestion.

I was told, by another person in the dentist's office, that I would be surprised about eating the pineapple. I guess the inflammation is really reduced..

I am not all that fond of pineapples, either; but if the periodontist insists on it, and it is part of the pre-op orders, I will comply.

I hope I have good pineapples. I have 3 of them. I know I am going to mess up with cleaning them, so I bought an extra one. I can smell pineapple from 2 of them, the other, smell a bit weird, but is turning golden.. wonder if that is ok to eat??

I am a real novice at this... sigh....

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My wife loves pineapples and from what I have seen it shouldn't be that complicated to clean them.
I think the best and easiest way is to slice them to discs or donuts and then cut all the outer part away. Slicing them vertically could make a mess.
Some people cut the head, only the green leaves, off and put it into a jar with some water until some new roots grow, then move these leaves to a flower pot with some soil. It should keep growing like a normal house plant and in some months it should give you a new small pineapple :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
SO! Antonio65 Antonio65 told you what I was going to tell you...cut off the top of the pineapple and then...oh, wait....

How to Grow a Pineapple

There you go!
Except, Artie would EAT the leaves!!!! Darn Cat!!
I knew it... as soon as I posted those pictures of Artie looking so good, and describing his playing, it would jinx him... sure enough...

Woke up to find some vomit on the rug in his room. It was mixed with a bit of fur, so I am hoping he had a tiny fur ball. Artie ate really good last night, but nothing today.. no appetite..sigh.. I am going to wait and see how he reacts when he wake sup from his daytime sleep. No, not a nap, a 'sleep'.. all day..

Status
Not open for further replies.