Aggressive Resident - It Just Got Real. No Idea How To Help Him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed to get a Charlies Follow up sample this morning and I will be on route to the vet for when they open. It still looks dark but nothing like it did. I'm trying to remind myself that his pee will be concentrated first thing in the AM so I don't worry too much.

*fingers are crossed that we come back good in a few days*

After that we'll need prayers as food trial Three million, four hundred and twenty one thousand will probably start.

Happy dance for your adorable little Charlie.

I see you've found some probiotics in the wilds of Canada. But I did a search for some that are just food and should be legal. There are several sites here's one 8 Greatest Probiotic Foods You Should Be Eating - Dr Axe

foods they mentioned tended toward dairy - yogurt, buttermilk, cottage cheese, cheeses: Gouda, cheddar, Swiss, Parmesan (some of my cats loved these particularly Parmesan, but it's pretty salty); miso which is real salty, pickles the rare cat might like those, but I knew one cat who adored sauerkraut which is also a probiotic. Kimchi is also one, but it contains onions and garlic, which means it's not good for the kit. Now that I remembered it, I want some sooooooo bad.
Thank you K Kflowers XOXOXOXO

Sadly yeah all dairy. :-( Good for us! Not so good for kitties.

I have used Parmesan - a little sprinkle - when trying to change charlies food. He seemed to like it but after a few days he'd go back on a hunger strike and that little trick would stop working! *sigh*

What they forget to tell you about adding a probiotic, which, Charlies actually ate - go sort that one out with my picky boy - is that it can give the kitty an upset tummy / diarrhea as the gut changes. That would have been nice to know. LOL I think sometimes vets forget to tell you about this side effects.

Did you get your Kimchi?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got the prayers! No waiting, immediate service here! You are right that it is concentrated in the first of the morning. Maybe an off and on thing with the probiotics and not every day. Since he ate it at first maybe you could use it more as a treat and fool him into looking forward to it rather than getting tired of it. That might prevent the diarrhea too. It wouldn’t have as regulatory an effect but it might work! :):vibes::heartshape:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You got the prayers! No waiting, immediate service here! You are right that it is concentrated in the first of the morning. Maybe an off and on thing with the probiotics and not every day. Since he ate it at first maybe you could use it more as a treat and fool him into looking forward to it rather than getting tired of it. That might prevent the diarrhea too. It wouldn’t have as regulatory an effect but it might work! :):vibes::heartshape:
Thank you :-) XOXOXOXOX

I think you're right with the probiotic as he's so sensitive to things. I slowed him down to half a package a day. That's helped a bit but it wasn't even something that crossed my mind to possibly have adverse effects. *sigh* Poor guy - we think we are doing good things for them and nope - not quite.

I couldn't believe he ate it! It definitely smells like beef - there is no mistaken it. So to have him take it without an issue was amazing. He likes it best sprinkled on the dry food.

I bought some cans of LID diet in prep for the food exchange as I read all the vet stuff is crap food. If he doesn't eat any of it. I think I may have to resort to cooking. That will be interesting to learn about. Yikes! But if it helps him and that's what he needs - then fine - I'll make it work!

Food:
I have :
Blue buffalo grain free Duck and Potato - both dry and wet.
Simply Nourish Ocean Whitefish and Potato and Duck and pea - wet.
Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea and Salmon and green pea. I also have a Salmon and Chickpea however that one I read is not complete nutrition. All wet.
Go Sensitivity and Shine - Duck Pate -wet.
From 6 months ago from the vet:
Medi-Cal Sensitivity VR - Wet.
Hills - D/D Duck - Wet.

I can get another flavor of go at a special shop but the ones not from the vet were the only ones I could find at the pet stores. I might be able to special order from the one place if need be or get a few other limited ones by ordering.

Yup I am prepping but I have to see what the vet says.

But Ladies and Gentlemen. I present to you - CHARLIE PEE Version 1 and 2:

The original Pee!

New and improved?: (Still looks to dark to me but I won't panic until the results come back)

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First prayers sent.

The second pee looks a lot LOT lighter in color than the first one.

Yep, probotics should have the side effects warning. But then maybe the general warning for dairy is supposed to carry over. Of course, it might have been a when he's stressed the side effect kicks in. There are times when yogurt isn't my friend, even the super satiny thick cherry syrup on the bottom.

Found kimchi in a jar at the grocery. Lucky me!!!

More prayers later.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First prayers sent.

The second pee looks a lot LOT lighter in color than the first one.

Yep, probotics should have the side effects warning. But then maybe the general warning for dairy is supposed to carry over. Of course, it might have been a when he's stressed the side effect kicks in. There are times when yogurt isn't my friend, even the super satiny thick cherry syrup on the bottom.

Found kimchi in a jar at the grocery. Lucky me!!!

More prayers later.
Thank you for prayers :-) XOXOXOX

It does look lighter - still darker I think than normal. That first batch made me cry when I saw it. I was like "this is bad!"

True Sometimes all the stress plus changes aren't good.

YAY! You found it.

I managed to get them to send me a copy of the ultra sound report. I can read a bit of it and there is a note about bad mommy and food in tummy but I have NO idea what a C+S results is from or what it means by sensitive to everything - unless they mean Charlie is sensitive to everything. Which - yup I'd go with that.

It looks like we are leading to food sesativity / IBD / IBS - however I am wondering on my own about :

Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO):
Excessive Bacteria in the Small Intestine in Cats | petMD

ULTRASOUND RESULTS:
"
History

Consult Type: US, SIG: DOB: 20121102, Age: 6 Y, Sex: M ALTERED, Wt: 6.2kg, Breed: Siamese Mix, Species: FELINE, Images: 86, Case Details: Marked hematuria. No obvious calc on xray. E.coli positive in urine. C+S results, received day of ultrasound, state that it is sensitive to everything. Ultrasound also for GI as there is a history of constipation and abdo discomfort - suspect primary enteropathy as a cause.

Findings

An abdominal ultrasound study is reviewed.

ABDOMEN US: In the urinary bladder there is some mobile echogenic debris, and some of this is adherent to the apical ventral wall of the bladder and slowly dissipates over the course of the study. No bladder stones are seen. The left kidney (4 cm) and right kidney (4.3 cm) have a few fine echogenic reflective interfaces along the diverticuli. The stomach, duodenum, jejunum and ileocolic junction appear normal. There is some fluid ingesta in the GI tract without distension, and a few parallel echogenic interfaces in the stomach that may be parasitic worms or mucus. The liver, gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, and mesentery appear normal.

Conclusion

1. Mobile echoes in the urine.

(a) Differentials include blood, mucus and fat, or active sediment. (b) An underlying cause for bacterial cystitis is not identified. Specifically no stones or mass lesion identified. 2. Few fine reflective interfaces along the renal diverticuli.

(a) Differentials include normal interarcuate arteries or renal pelvic mineralizations; both are benign an identified. 2. Few fine reflective interfaces along the renal diverticuli.

(a) Differentials include normal interarcuate arteries or renal pelvic mineralizations; both are benign an incidental. 3. Nonspecific GI content without obstruction resembles normal ingesta.

(a) There may be primary GI disease that ultrasound does not appreciate. If the patient has been appropriately fasted (12-18 hours) then there may be some delayed gastric emptying. Possible differentials for the clinically suspected primary GI disease include IBD, food sensitivity, infection (parasitic worms, bacterial imbalance) or a combination of these."

BTW : we are not expecting parasites / worms (we think it's mu to be the cause of this but he and the girls are have all been de-wormed again and will be given another does on the 28th to be safe.

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a lot of words that I don't understand. However, I'll say again that the second urine sample looks better than the first. okay? hugs.
Me too and even my medical terminology fails me!

Okay - we will take the positive on the pee looking better. :-) XOXOXO

*hugs*

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^&*&%^$$# Vets office called and they want another sample from Charlie to back up the findings - whatever those findings were.

I'm waiting for the vet to call me and let me know what these findings were.

I'll go pick up some nosorb tomorrow night on my way home as they close too early for me to get it tonight. (I should really just keep a stash on hand at this point.)

Sample aim for Monday.

^&**^^%^%^% my poor baby boy!!!

Edit so much for not panicking. I'm going through all the horrible things in my head. Liver (Orange pee - FIP which would be all my fault for the extra stress.)

I will wait for the vet. I will breathe and wait.

His latest thing is picking him up causes chest pain. :-(

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breathe. Just every now and then. FIP is not your fault. Don't believe in FIP until it's proved. Even then, still not your fault.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stop. Deep breath and stop to think. Remember that you have been giving it your ALL for these kitties for a long time now. NOT anyone’s fault no matter what. You are jumping the gun too. Did it ever even enter your brain that they could be good results? Perhaps something simple too? Maybe just slow motility caused by E. Coil and that could explain eating problems , chest discomfort and every other symptom not caused by E. coli. Have hope okay? Slow motility can heal. I have had it myself from the food poisoning. Try to look for a positive outcome. Hope, faith, love all sent your way! XOXOXO

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Breathe. Just every now and then. FIP is not your fault. Don't believe in FIP until it's proved. Even then, still not your fault.
Breathing.

FIP is evil - massive fear of it.

I know I should wait - the mind is not so co-operative. XO

Stop. Deep breath and stop to think. Remember that you have been giving it your ALL for these kitties for a long time now. NOT anyone’s fault no matter what. You are jumping the gun too. Did it ever even enter your brain that they could be good results? Perhaps something simple too? Maybe just slow motility caused by E. Coil and that could explain eating problems , chest discomfort and every other symptom not caused by E. coli. Have hope okay? Slow motility can heal. I have had it myself from the food poisoning. Try to look for a positive outcome. Hope, faith, love all sent your way! XOXOXO
Yes, I am jumping. Why do people leave messages like that? Just say "Hey, give us a call we'd like to go over results with you." Not "We'd like you to get another sample as we need to re-test Charlie to verify the findings". As naturally that's a "Find? What do you mean find? What the helk did you find?" and then - Insta-panic!
No - that never crossed my mind as positive - maybe it is - or something really really really minor.

Having hope and praying. XOXO thank you.

Thank you guys for always being here for me. XOXOXOXOXOXXOX

I hope she calls tonight as the clinic is open later today.

Here's something really weird - this last pee sample - not warm at all. I thought that was really bizarre as I took it within seconds after he pee'd. Yet it was like it had been there a while.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are going to drive yourself nuts. I do the same thing. The medical community stinks when they leave messages like that! Don’t keep running all of this through your mind. We really don’t know any more than we did yesterday. How did you feel yesterday? Try to put yourself back a day until you have a definitive answer. What if you are stressing out and they tell you..... actually we spilled the pee? We just couldn’t tell you that on the phone.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are going to drive yourself nuts. I do the same thing. The medical community stinks when they leave messages like that!
I think I already drove myself there lol good that I have good company for the ride!

Yes -yes they do.

Don’t keep running all of this through your mind. We really don’t know any more than we did yesterday. How did you feel yesterday? Try to put yourself back a day until you have a definitive answer. What if you are stressing out and they tell you..... actually we spilled the pee? We just couldn’t tell you that on the phone.
Wisdom. You're right. It's just more waiting and keep a close eye on my boy - and the girls.

LMAO about spilling the pee - that would be great - but they wouldn't charge me for that again - at least I would hope not.

I found the glass beads so I'll wash them really well and see if I can get a sample using those again and drive it down in the morning. Sooner the better in my eyes.

They want it within 30 minutes - I said - since I 'm nearly 40 away - that's not going to happen. So I'll have to refrigerate it and drive it down in the cooler.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep imagining that the tech won’t admit to spilling the pee, this way can charge you again and they will tell you that they could not give results that were inconclusive. Then you can ask them if they really just spilled the pee. When they look guilty you can really LYAO. If their jaw drops when you ask them then you will know it’s true. You can tell them you knew because it came to you in a dream. :lol: Or a nutty friend told you! :crazy:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep imagining that the tech won’t admit to spilling the pee, this way can charge you again and they will tell you that they could not give results that were inconclusive. Then you can ask them if they really just spilled the pee. When they look guilty you can really LYAO. If their jaw drops when you ask them then you will know it’s true. You can tell them you knew because it came to you in a dream. :lol: Or a nutty friend told you! :crazy:
LMAO well they'll have to tell me something when I ask for the results for my records. MUHAHAHAH

But seriously - if they split it - I'm okay with that. Life happens and I don't mind paying really as this test is cheap compared to everything else I'e done the last 6 months. I'd really prefer not to be frightened though.

Charlie seems okay. He's out of sorts. He's now resorted to litter box attacks *sigh* Good thing Braveheart is Brave as she didn't even flinch about it. She looked at him like "You're an idiot and I've trying to poo here mister! I will poop on your head if you do that."

Sadly he did scare Mia on Sunday though.

His fur is back to soft for the most part. He slept by my head most of last night. That was nice.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie seems okay. He's out of sorts. He's now resorted to litter box attacks *sigh* Good thing Braveheart is Brave as she didn't even flinch about it. She looked at him like "You're an idiot and I've trying to poo here mister! I will poop on your head if you do that."

His fur is back to soft for the most part. He slept by my head most of last night. That was nice.
I wish they had not scared you too. People can be so thoughtless. I have had to wait for answers before too and it just makes more sense to me to speak plainly but often people don’t put themselves in the other persons’ shoes. :headshake: Dummies.

As for the litter box attacks.....I can imagine her saying, “ Really Dude!?!? I don’t eat and run and I’m certainly not going to run during a poo!”
Now I am LMAO at picturing the look Braveheart gave him! I bet she really would poo on his head! That would not leave his fur feeling soft and you would not want him to sleep by your head tonight!:running:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the universe conspired to help get pee early.

I had some extra glass beads that @LTS3 had suggested for his first home pee. I had a syringe (big one) still in it's sealed package and my mom brought over a pee sample cut - sealed from last month when she was doing a pee test (Annual physical) and they weren't sure they had enough so they gave her a cup just in case. So she brought that over to me last night.

I got the sample down within 40 minutes and I found out when we are retesting. The lab didn't do all the tests she wanted. I have still requested a copy of what they have.

It's my birthday on Tuesday. It's an important date as It's the date 6 years ago Charlie was officially adopted.

I came home one day, a few months after I had lost my dog, and the second I walked in all I heard was this horrid cat crying. My mom was there and she said: "peak down the stairs". I said: "I don't have too - I can hear it from here. WHY is there a cat in my house!" Everyone thought I needed someone to look after. So they thought this was a good idea.

So there was Charlie. In a big dog cage, tiny, skinny, kitten crying its head off that looked like he had been pulled out of a garbage dump. His fur was a mess, eyes all goobed up and nose goobers. He had a URI, had been found in a ditch and brought to the local Humane Society. I took him right out of that cage as I thought that was an awful place for a wee baby to be. He instantly stopped crying. I was to foster him for a few months and give him back. Well - within 24 hours he was pooping blood, not eating and everything went downhill. It took a bit of doing but he lived through it and grew up to be a big kitty - and I think mostly happy.

My birthday was 6 -8 weeks away and when it got closer everyone was asking me what I wanted. (Side note: Frankly, I think parents should get presents on Birthdays.) Honestly - I kept looking at him and he was all I wanted. So that's what I asked for. Charlie. And thus I officially became a foster fail and Charlie a member of the family.

Tuesday will be 6 years he was officially adopted. Being his official caretaker is still the best gift ever.

I wish they had not scared you too. People can be so thoughtless. I have had to wait for answers before too and it just makes more sense to me to speak plainly but often people don’t put themselves in the other persons’ shoes. :headshake: Dummies.
*nods* I've noticed in life many people don't have that ability to think from the other persons POV. My mom - bless her heart - I would come home from school upset because so and so did whatever and she would NEVER automatically take my side. She would always ask - What I did. How did I contribute to the situation? What could I have done different - if anything? Although growing up it was really annoying, as an adult, I appreciate what she did a lot. I'm able to try to see the other side of things and ask myself hard questions.

I'm amazed at how many people can't, so when it happens I remember I have her to thank for teaching me.

As for the litter box attacks.....I can imagine her saying, “ Really Dude!?!? I don’t eat and run and I’m certainly not going to run during a poo!”
Now I am LMAO at picturing the look Braveheart gave him! I bet she really would poo on his head! That would not leave his fur feeling soft and you would not want him to sleep by your head tonight!:running:
LOL Pretty much how it went I think LMAO. It was so funny to see her in the litter box, him hiss at her and her just give him that look.

LOl no I would not have wanted that - he did last night too (Slept beside my head) - I had to trap him in my room all night, poor guy, so that we would hold his pee pee for me!

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah! The old ,” lab didn’t do all the tests” trick! Ha. Spill maybe? Lol

Awwww! Little baby Charlie! I’m so glad you kept him! You really saved him!
Your Mom taught you great empathy. To the point that you put yourself in the place of furry paws.

I guess when you got up this morning Charlie was standing there wiggling with his back legs crossed and a desperate look on his face! Mooooom! Gotta go!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah! The old ,” lab didn’t do all the tests” trick! Ha. Spill maybe? Lol
LOl pretty sure you're right here. When I asked for a copy of his results they said they might not be able to send them until the rest of the tests were done. Now I have little doubt they screwed up and didn't do all the tests. The cost was weird. So that wouldn't surprise me. I am, however, suspect by that response. Needless to say I will be calling them tomorrow reminding them to send me a copy of the current. ;-) If they wants to "Check their findings" surely there is something to be checked against. ;-)

As long as it comes back as good - I can live with it though.

Awwww! Little baby Charlie! I’m so glad you kept him! You really saved him!
Your Mom taught you great empathy. To the point that you put yourself in the place of furry paws.

I guess when you got up this morning Charlie was standing there wiggling with his back legs crossed and a desperate look on his face! Mooooom! Gotta go!
I'm glad too. He might be a jerk - hut he's my family jerk.

I'm grateful for everything my mom has done. I'm very lucky to have her and I make sure she knows it.

LOL yup! He was not to happy about peeing in flat glass beads either - I can tell you that. I'm grateful that even though he can be a very, very difficult cat - he's co-operating with testing for his health. Small mercies.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm. I guess being old has taught me something...... suspicion! I wish people would just have the backbone to admit mistakes. We are all human and make them. :headshake:

Your Mom did do a great job. I am glad you let her know that. Being a Mom , even if the babies are furry, can be very hard. As you well know!

I gotta tell you that the image of Charlie trying to cover his pee with flat glass beads made me laugh. He was probably thinking,” Mom must have bought a bargain brand. This new cat litter is terrible! Hmmmmph! I bet she doesn’t make Braveheart use this stuff! ” :lol: No wonder he attacks Braveheart in the litter box! Good boy Charlie for going in glass. He really is a very tolerant kitty.