Aggressive Resident - It Just Got Real. No Idea How To Help Him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I was actually very calm and pleasant when I went in and when I left. I thanked them and sent an email as well thanking them for their help as well. Though at one point I'm sure they could tell I was annoyed. Probably the look on my face when they said "check your spam" - that nearly set me off but I remained calm.

Looking at the sheet they gave me does confirm things. It was a copy of the email they sent printed out - time stamp 7:48 am - today. (Technically 7:49) which means it was sent today.

Sadly talking to the Vet won't work as she is not the boss. She is an employee as well. I'm PM you two as this part is a bit delicate.

I think what was the most frustrating was that I understand mistakes happen and things get delayed - we're all a bunch of humans and kitties here - it was the way that mistake was handled that burns me. The way to make it right was that I should have walked out of the office today with everything Charlie needed and I didn't. Also with no indication on when I could come pick up his medication. That's why I got steamed up on the car ride home. That's very upsetting to me as it means his treatment is further delayed. :bawling2::angryfire::censored::bawling:

K Kflowers I might let the boss know what transpired. It's delicate.
@Jcatbird I like the flowers or hot chocolate. (I was at home when the snowballs flew lol though hmmm tossing snowballs at the staff - hmmm. I wish I'd have through of that at the time! DANG!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope - that's why I'm so unhappy. and no indication on when it would be ready. So now i have to chase more.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just really strange.

It would seem reasonable to ask if you can pick it up. I mean ask nicely. Since you're going that way, stick with it. You're probably right to do that. I'm guessing your vet options are limited. Don't things usually work out better with this one?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I called this morning I was polite and left a VM that I would be in after a certain time to pick up whatever he needed. Because of the anti-biotic mess up - there was nothing.

They usually are very, very good - I can chalk it up to a bad two weeks - no problem - however they should have made it right today by making sure I had what I needed for him before I left today - that is what has me so upset. If I don't have what I need tomorrow.... :bawling2:

Charlie has a regular vet. My PM to you might make more sense as to why this clinic was chosen for a second opinion.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the new person didn't truly accidentally delete your VM? I say that honestly as one of the technologically challenged. It would be fearsome to 'fess up to that.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sadly no. They knew I was coming. They called the house at 10:30 am about the question the vet had about the anti-biotics.

Yup called the house after specifically telling them I wasn't there when I called in the morning (around 8:15 am) to let them know I would be coming sometime after 11 am as I'd be in the city. :-\ *sigh*

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: 4:30 pm and no call. I've had to once again call them and leave a voice mail asking what's up - nicely. So yes, at this stage the person in charge of the clinic will need to be informed about the errors with with the urine testing, and the lack of communication. No good. :-(

I will wait until the end of the day for them to call back but yeah sadly, regardless, I have to let the person in charge know. If I don't hear by the end of the day - guess who's showing up tomorrow morning, before work, to the clinic. Yup that would be me again LMAO. :frustrated:

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, honey I'm so sorry this is happening to you and Charlie!!
I'm sending every good thought I have that, bottom line, you receive what you need for him as absolutely soonest :vibes::alright:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom, Kflowers and Jcatbird XOXOXOXOXO
Success! :yess:

You guys have magic - they called me. They at least have his antibiotics so I can go get them tomorrow morning. They don't have the other items on his shopping list ready but I have 6-7 weeks for that. The 6 week course of antibiotics is the urgent thing since we are a week and a half behind getting him on them.

I've ordered the UroMAXX they want him on and that should arrive tomorrow.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie has his meds. YAY! :hyper: They even managed to include the Gabapetin for when he goes back in for his cystocentesis in 7 weeks. They originally weren't going to as it wasn't on his file. I asked yesterday if I could send what the vet said. Nope - they weren't going to as it wasn't on the chart *sigh* but they did - YAY! I think the vet was in this morning so she managed to sort that out.

He got his first antibiotic tonight. Enrofloxacin (Baytril) 50 mg 1/2 tablet every 24 hours. That's instead of the AventiClav. He did well on it - but the last 3 days it knocked him on his head. He started to get lethargic, not wanting to eat, a bit of diarrhea and dehydrated. It took over a week to get him back to snuff. Hence the Enrofloxacin (Baytril).

The UroMAXX also came today. Apparently that will help break down the sludge so that antibiotic can work better. Six weeks seems such a long time for the poor guy to be on them so I really hope this clears him up. I'll give him the probiotic too - maybe it will make him feel less terrible.

My mom is going to be kind enough to come monitor him for the next week while I'm at work to make sure that any reactions can be handled fast.

This past week he started to "talk" more again. Something he hasn't done in a long while and his energy level was up - wanted more play - so he got more play. :yess::yess:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Turns on a dime, yep, in the middle of purring, while purring...

Blue jeans are good, farm weight better. Or regular jeans with a blue jean/ denim long skirt (stop 4 inches above the floor or you'll tend to trip on it.) Check the catalogs, the skirts aren't expensive, get a full skirt and two sizes above what you wear so you can put it over jeans. I've been wearing one over whatever else I wear since Sweet Gum turned 6 weeks.
LMAO yup exactly - even while looking so peaceful and purring.

Good idea about the denim! I take it sweet gum in a climber?

BJ is my protector. From others. Charlie is being yours too. I think that is part of this but also there are just triggers sometimes. BJ fought for survival and a noise can trigger him. Just a reminder to him that there are risks out there. I bet Charlie does regret his reactions. They kind of go into,” the zone”, of reaction reflex. They also understand when we are then upset. I think part of the problem is just that he has been sick and , aren’t we all kind of grouchy when we are sick? It may seem like this has gone on forever but how long has it been since you brought the others in to share you? Maybe he thinks,” I’ve been sick this time so just pay attention to me Mom! My turn!” K Kflowers has a good point. I wear a double layer of jeans if I know an issue is going on. Long sleeves too. You might not be able to do that all the time but if Charlie thought ripping you had no effect he might stop. Bj is still learning. He was the toughest kind of feral and there may be triggers for a long time but I just have to watch his body language and recognize when to back off or grab something to block him. I am not fond the idea of using water but you could try a squirt bottle. Water might work and it won’t hurt him. If it’s really a serious risk , health wise, to a kitty then it might be better than a cat getting visciously attacked. I will say that I do have arguments here between cats that sound horrible and bring me running but in the end, they stop before anyone is really hurt. No guarantees that will happen there but don’t put your hands in the fight! Keep cardboard all over the house. If that works then I would use that. It’s the least offensive method and might eventually make Charlie understand that a cardboard wall will appear everytime. I am betting that when he is well, more time to know the others has passed and your establishing yourself as top cat and the wall of intervention, things will change. They may always compete for your attention but once all boundaries are set it should get better.
I understand vet frustration. Sometimes they let us down or seem to. Just stand your ground and make sure they always remember you are not an “ average pet owner”. You standards are very high and these are your children. I think many people treat their pets like “just pets”. Sounds horrible, I know, but my vet has explained to me this very thing. They seem to see a lot of that. They understand now that I see mine differently and they treat us accordingly but sometimes they need a reminder or a new person joins the team who is unaware. Maybe that is the case here. Tired vets happen too. Hopefully they will regroup on Charlie and get back to work properly. I am thinking they will.
Hang in there. I know this has been one of those giant jigsaw puzzles with 10,000 pieces that we really just want to dump back in the box but if you can just get all the outside pieces together, the rest will come together. ;):hangin::alright::heartshape:Don’t forget, You’ve come a very long way! :clapcat:

BJ is my protector. From others. Charlie is being yours too. I think that is part of this but also there are just triggers sometimes. BJ fought for survival and a noise can trigger him. Just a reminder to him that there are risks out there. I bet Charlie does regret his reactions. They kind of go into,” the zone”, of reaction reflex. They also understand when we are then upset. I think part of the problem is just that he has been sick and , aren’t we all kind of grouchy when we are sick? It may seem like this has gone on forever but how long has it been since you brought the others in to share you? Maybe he thinks,” I’ve been sick this time so just pay attention to me Mom! My turn!” K Kflowers has a good point. I wear a double layer of jeans if I know an issue is going on. Long sleeves too. You might not be able to do that all the time but if Charlie thought ripping you had no effect he might stop. Bj is still learning. He was the toughest kind of feral and there may be triggers for a long time but I just have to watch his body language and recognize when to back off or grab something to block him. I am not fond the idea of using water but you could try a squirt bottle. Water might work and it won’t hurt him. If it’s really a serious risk , health wise, to a kitty then it might be better than a cat getting visciously attacked. I will say that I do have arguments here between cats that sound horrible and bring me running but in the end, they stop before anyone is really hurt. No guarantees that will happen there but don’t put your hands in the fight! Keep cardboard all over the house. If that works then I would use that. It’s the least offensive method and might eventually make Charlie understand that a cardboard wall will appear everytime. I am betting that when he is well, more time to know the others has passed and your establishing yourself as top cat and the wall of intervention, things will change. They may always compete for your attention but once all boundaries are set it should get better.
I understand vet frustration. Sometimes they let us down or seem to. Just stand your ground and make sure they always remember you are not an “ average pet owner”. You standards are very high and these are your children. I think many people treat their pets like “just pets”. Sounds horrible, I know, but my vet has explained to me this very thing. They seem to see a lot of that. They understand now that I see mine differently and they treat us accordingly but sometimes they need a reminder or a new person joins the team who is unaware. Maybe that is the case here. Tired vets happen too. Hopefully they will regroup on Charlie and get back to work properly. I am thinking they will.
Hang in there. I know this has been one of those giant jigsaw puzzles with 10,000 pieces that we really just want to dump back in the box but if you can just get all the outside pieces together, the rest will come together. ;):hangin::alright::heartshape:Don’t forget, You’ve come a very long way! :clapcat:
BJ is my protector. From others. Charlie is being yours too. I think that is part of this but also there are just triggers sometimes. BJ fought for survival and a noise can trigger him. Just a reminder to him that there are risks out there. I bet Charlie does regret his reactions. They kind of go into,” the zone”, of reaction reflex. They also understand when we are then upset. I think part of the problem is just that he has been sick and , aren’t we all kind of grouchy when we are sick? It may seem like this has gone on forever but how long has it been since you brought the others in to share you? Maybe he thinks,” I’ve been sick this time so just pay attention to me Mom! My turn!”
*nods* they are good little protectors.

True and I am beginning to lean towards this being one of the main troubles all along and it was missed since he had no usual symptoms. It probably got worse when I brought the gals in.

Bj is still learning. He was the toughest kind of feral and there may be triggers for a long time but I just have to watch his body language and recognize when to back off or grab something to block him. I am not fond the idea of using water but you could try a squirt bottle. Water might work and it won’t hurt him. If it’s really a serious risk , health wise, to a kitty then it might be better than a cat getting visciously attacked. I will say that I do have arguments here between cats that sound horrible and bring me running but in the end, they stop before anyone is really hurt. No guarantees that will happen there but don’t put your hands in the fight! Keep cardboard all over the house. If that works then I would use that. It’s the least offensive method and might eventually make Charlie understand that a cardboard wall will appear everytime. I am betting that when he is well, more time to know the others has passed and your establishing yourself as top cat and the wall of intervention, things will change. They may always compete for your attention but once all boundaries are set it should get better.
The girls are like that a little too. They are adjusting to all these different noises and slowly realizing that nothing bad happens when they hear them.

BJ is like Charlie - tough little guys!

The water bottle doesn't seem to work with Charlie - but you gave me a great idea - he hates the sound of compressed air. He even sees the canister and he bolts like a fire was set under him. That could work to my advantage along with the cardboard. Cardboard for the win!!!

Setting the boundaries is not easy but i can see the positive results so far. Slow - but there.

I did what you suggested and actually asked if everyone there was okay. The response - though no one got into details was - "I don't think so." I also found out that they are short a vet tech atm. You have some pretty powerful instincts there Ms. Jcatbird.

I'm also going to do another one of your suggestions - get them something to let them know they are valuable. I have to remember they have tough jobs and stuff happens. No, I'm not happy at all with how things transpired the last few weeks but I will do something to try to help the situation improved - not hurt it. I realize I was upset as -yes -these are my babies. To not expect something to be that wrong, and get the opposite, and then of course the guilt and frustration as these are the same things I've been saying for a long time. The vet asks "Any concerns?" "Yes, his poop is very hard, he drinks and pees a lot though. etc." "Well, Blood work good, coat good, body good - go home. He's fine".

I feel a failed him - but - now I know something very important though... I don't give a flying fart in space what the bloodwork says - if it's weird and not normal - I will be bringing the kids wherever I have to in order to figure it out. I feel very over protective of him right now. Normal probably. Maybe lol

True - this really has been a puzzle. I think there are a few more to come but it's all starting to come together and form a picture. :-) Finally! I have to be patient though as it is a puzzle.

I'm glad I was able to vent here so I didn't accidentally vent there on them. S o that you all! XOXOOXOXOX

We have come a long way - true :-)

I kept blankets, throw rugs when I got dogs (they never actually fought with each other or the cats, I think they thought the cats had the corner on fighting.) If nothing else grab a heavy book and throw it across the room. The noise should make Charlie let go of you. Same suggestion to you jcatbird. Of course, when I got cornered on the staircase there were no blankets, no books and I wasn't going to rip the curtains down. I would heal, curtains are expensive. ;)
Book tossing. We could make that a sport!

LO l@ curtian are expensive. Yes they are!!!

K Kflowers Thanks for the tip! :) I’ll use a rug but if I throw a book about 22 other cats are going to scatter! :flail:Cat chaos. Fortunately BJ is learning to trust, AND the word, NO! I’m still hoping we will make progress but since I am old and don’t heal as quickly as I used to, a barrier is my best option. Flying carpets sound good! :p
:flail:In your home - oh my word LO l I can imagine the chaos from book tossing. Zoom! Hmm where'd all the babies go? BJ why are you hanging from your claws on the ceiling?

Scattergories!!!!

I love the way when you've got 8 all doing something in a room and you yell 'no!' only the one who is doing something he shouldn't stops and gives you the raised eyebrow before continuing to do it.
LOL@Scattergories! :flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail:

and :flail::flail::flail: @ the trouble maker giving you the look. I'm in tears of laughter over here!

Obviously you know how cats work! :lol:
The raised eyebrow only last a second and then you get that look of innocence before they break the vase! Then you get the,” it fell by itself”, look. “How did that happen?”
:flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail:

The staff does “own” the office unless you speak directly to the vet. It was a thoughtless error in shutting down the system befoe things processed! I don’t want you to enter the place like a tornado. I do think immediate response should be made about starting a better antibiotic if you can remain pleasant. Getting the info started may take time to funnel through to the vet. Be super sweet and very grateful, as they say you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar. I am sure they know they messed up.
I felt like going in like a tornado but I remember we all make mistakes and the day I become a perfect human being is the day I have the right to act like a tornado.... since that will never happen ... be respectful and kind.

I think they know they messed up too and the one girl I think is like me - she'll beat herself up 1000 times worse than anyone else could. So I won't make it harder on her.

doesn’t need to be costly, just surprising to them. Since they know they messed up they will expect anger, not kindness. Put a different spin on things.:dizzycat::)
That's the plan :-) Seeing what I can do to help. You are exactly right.

Though I still like the snowball idea!

I'm getting some small gifties together for them to say thank you for helping him as they are helping him. :-) and I am very grateful for that.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

In case I haven't told you all lately - you seriously rock the house! XOXOXOXOX :heartshape::heartshape::heartshape::heartshape::heartshape:

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The important thing is that Charlie is well enough to take his medicine and maybe just maybe things will get more organized there.

Sweet Gum only climbs a little. Before she was spayed and had to spend three days at the vet without regular meals cause they kept thinking they'd get a break and spay her, she was 'tiny dancer'. without another cat she walked on her back feet as we did. The dog didn't, so who knows why. After the starving for three days experience she turned into 'tiny tank' one of the kennel girls thought she was a different cat.

We had others that would climb straight up whatever you were wearing when they were small kittens. This stopped when they hit 6 pounds each.

At any rate, instead of really climbing SG stands on her back legs, puts her paws/claws on my shin then reaches up to be picked up. Denim is good for this. It's even better for foot/leg ambush, because sometimes she misses the black fuzzy house shoe boot.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a valid point he is well enough to be taking meds! Far better than a lot of kitties - so I have to take that as a massive positive!

LOl Tiny dancer to tiny tank. :-)

Awee picturing her doing that. Way cute! :-)

BTW I bought him a new toy to make up for the fish being duds....

These are AWESOME! All the kitties love them but they are VERY, VERY small so you have to supervise them big time! I would say if a cat, or child got a piece off - coking hazard. The same brand also makes a fish toy (a bit larger) that I will try out in the new year. I'm looking for a larger version if they make them.

Edit to add: THey have a "cat" version with a tail on it for double the price but it is just as small. You can easily add a feather tail of your own to it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
picture didn't come through for me. POUT. (It's okay I need to practice my pout.)

Sweet Gum's most beyond favorite toy was the one we named 'Strangle me now" It was a yellow bird (no long feathers) on an elastic string that hung from the door. She'd pull it as far from the door as possible and let it go. Hours of fun. Exactly 10 hours before my sister said, 'the cat sounds funny." I looked at her and she was on the floor playing, but not really moving. Sis "There's something wrong with her leg. Fix it."

I went over (Sweet Gum was a bit bitey and clawy at this time) She'd wrapped the elastic around her back leg tieing it to herself and around her neck. The "funny " sound was her strangling. Got her lose, cut the bird off the elastic. She now has a yellow bird toy.

Pity she loved it, but black elastic on a mostly black cat. nope.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're pout face was good. *nods*

:-( It's called a hexbug nano. It probably about as dangerous as the "Strangle me now" toy. Only can be used supervised under a watchful eye and removed if you can't. If it was a bit bigger that company would be in the $$$$ for sure.

I have a toy with an elastic like you describe. There is a pom pom on one end and a mouse on another. I tie it tight around the scratch posts. If it looks like it's getting worn - I take it off and it's spit into two toys - as I can see the cats doing exactly what you just described happened to Sweet Gum. SCARY! Good thing you were there!

Like all children, they like things that are dangerous for them. *sigh* silly kitties!

Last edited:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little Charlie update:

He's now past a week, of the 6 weeks, for the new meds. No throwing up. No diarrhea. *knock on wood* Appetite seems good. He's still a bit dehydrated so I've added more water into his food.

All in all So far - so good. Let's hope it keeps going in this direction and that he gets the all clear after everything is done.

Edit to add: He has lost a tad bit of weight but not enough for me to panic. I'll address that with the vet when he goes in again in 6 weeks. Unless he drops more. His energy level is up too though. His chest is still sore, so we'll look at that too.

After that we can work on his re-directed aggression more and food tolerances.

At least there's a plan forming now and the puzzle is beginning taking a form.

Last edited: