Aggressive Resident - It Just Got Real. No Idea How To Help Him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I often have to repair my posts. Heh! Vision, fumble fingers or the system? All three!
Me too
Oh, definitely The System LOL

These cats have found the best kind of person that exists.
jcatbird only speaks the truth, that I know :heartshape:

Gracious sakes, HANG IN THERE!! :cheerleader: :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to blame yourself. E-coli is the most common offender when a cat gets a UTI. That is also what my cat had this summer. It is a perfectly normal bacteria that naturally lives in the intestines. We all have it, and crap it out.

He probably just licked his bum, then his penis, and some bacteria travelled up the urethra and colonized his bladder. The only thing you really can do, other than changing the litter once a week and managing his stress/diet, is know the signs that he is coming down with something.

This is going to sound weird, but remember what his urine smells like right now because urine from a UTI has a strong and distinct odour. You'll notice how different and mild his healthy urine smells once he has completed treatment. That way if you ever notice the strong scent again you'll know to take him in for treatment.
Hi there fellow pee collector! :-) :wave3: XOXOXOXOXOXO

It's hard not to. I've never had this happen before so of course I wonder what happened. I'm sorry Willie had this too.

He is a very clean kitty so that would make sense. I wonder now if this has been the whole issue with his bowels all along. Not just a food sensitivity -which - not ruling out just yet as another issue.

Honestly - it doesn't smell that I can smell but I will get very close and see. It doesn't help that I changed his litter a month ago and it smells like wood now. (I was trying different things to help his Asthma and used okocat instead of the clay - but man HOLY DUST! Worse than clay. I need to rethink that change now.) What does sometimes stink is his poop and that I CAN smell and woahhh my nose.

Although it's a big expense that I can't really do (hello credit card old friend) I am going to do the ultrasound tomorrow so we have everything and we know for sure once and for all what the what is. I'm hoping nothing more shows up and we can move forward with medication and a happy, health cat - well - cats now - for the long road.

Worried about the trip in as last time he was in distress. I spoke to the vet and I'll be giving him my last Gabapentin to help keep him calm to get him there with a little stress as we can. Plus his Asthma puffer.) I have to work tomorrow and can't get away so my mom is being kind enough to take him. I hate not being there though. Worried about the stress of the drive and ultrasound on him. Poor kitty.

I often have to repair my posts. Heh! Vision, fumble fingers or the system? All three!
Hang in there. I think you are about to be at the top of the mountain. You have done an amazing job putting all the pieces of a monster jigsaw puzzle together. Without the picture on the front of the box to go by, this is truly an accomplishment. These cats have found the best kind of person that exists. The fact that you have endured and kept going forward is awesome! Good job! You can join my crew anytime.

@Wile I love your advice. The scent is telling. We all try to avoid smelling the litter when we clean the box! :running:In this case it could be very useful to sniff! Just for future reference.
I vote all three for us LOL

I like the idea of being at the top of a mountain... having climbed one before - going down is sometimes harder LOl so once we get to that peak I think I'm setting up a permanent camp! Forget down! Not doing it. We is setting up a permanent residence on that mountain top!

Once they are settled health wise we can get back to intros. I think I've decided that in the spring when the rewire happens I will most likely have to drug the lot of them as I don't want to have a downward spiral with another round of stress for them. Most likely will be coming back for help with that one. Baby steps though. Deal with that later. *nods*

Thank you XOXOXO I try my best for them. They are too precious not to try everything I can.

I hope one day I look back on all this and see a happy, united family of kitties in good health.

Awee thank you! If I were closer I would join your crew in a heartbeat and bring tea!

LOL yep - smell time. OH JOY!!!! But yes, that is really good advice. Too bad we didn't have a recorder for this type of thing LOL. "Smell picture" or could create a "scratch and sniff" based on it LMAO. 100 years from now - yeah they'll probably have that tech!

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Me too
Oh, definitely The System LOL
LOL I'll vote for that instead! :-)

Me too
jcatbird only speaks the truth, that I know :heartshape:

Gracious sakes, HANG IN THERE!! :cheerleader: :grouphug:
XOXOXOXO I'm hanging. It might be by a couple of threads and a few cat wands twisted together - but - yup - hanging! :grouphug2::grouphug:

*sings* I get by with a little help from my friends!" XOXOXOX:bouquet:

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His Royal Majesty is back from the Ultrasound. We should have the results on Monday. My mom said he slept in the car there, which was great! He's come home with a little less hair LOL poor guy and some anti-biotics.

She didn't get to speak to the vet as she was in surgery but that's okay.

Once he settles - I'll take a picture and post it.

In the meantime - I'm not sure what to do with his things?

Do I need to toss all his toys and wands?

Bedding wash in really hot water?

I'll ask the vet on Monday of we should treat the girls or what on that front.

He's in good spirits. :-)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uummm
I don't know about his things....but I'm glad to hear he's in good spirits :lovecat3:
Me either - I mean e-coli is infectious so one would think washing etc is in order. *Scratches head* I'll ask the vet on Monday. I have another list of questionsfor her lol.

Thank you. He is even - though they stole his fur. This is one way to reduce cat hair though! :flail:

(A large area of his belly is shaved.)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, "bare" belly lol, --actually I'm with you, l love when my big guy has belly shaves done, it's a nice side benefit. (I'm not so good with the clippers myself).
Thank goodness they didn't ask me to prep him as I'm not good at it too.

He was not please with me for disturbing him, and so not the greatest picture since stink eye is involved but...

ALL HAIL SHAVED KITTY!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie's Results: It looks like he is going to be okay. No cancer, or obstructions. Lots of bits in the bladder they think will clear up after the antibiotics are done. We will have to retest his pee in two weeks.

No need for insane cleaning or to toss anything out. :-)

There were some lines showing up in his tummy that are either mucus or worms. To be safe - we are deworming the girls again, and Charlie. Best to play it all safe. So I will be picking up the meds tonight. They'll have to have in three weeks later too.

Now one idiot thing I did was I failed to remove the girl's dry food and he did get into in sometime between midnight and 6:30 am before the ultrasound. He was supposed to fast for 12 hours. There was stuff in his tummy but they think it was food. I hope so since I screwed that up! ^&**^%$

Charlie's demeanor is amazing. His eyes and face are much softer. He's sitting in bread loaf position with feet tucked under and not like he's ready to pounce. He looks relaxed. I now know what his pain face looks like. It's subtle but it is there. So I feel a bit more confident in being able to help him if something happens in the future. God forbid though!

I have a few more questions for the vet tomorrow but so far this is looking very promising for him.

Oh my gracious sakes just LOOK at that seriously baby-pink bare belly!!
I purely love how soft the fur is when it starts to grow back :)
I know. So soft! He doesn't even hate me for the bare belly! Probably because he is feeling better - or starting too.:cloud9:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm. Your posts have not showed up in my alerts. Very glad I checked in! You have done such a great job. Charlie too! I am so happy to hear he is improving. Sounds like you have put all the pieces together through determination and persistence. A tough job but great results. So nice to see he is feeling better so quickly. I bet you are too. *sigh of relief from us all* :)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go Charlie baby, go team!!!
He's a tough little man that one. That is for sure!

Go Team!:cheerleader::clap2::bouquet:

Hmmmm. Your posts have not showed up in my alerts. Very glad I checked in! You have done such a great job. Charlie too! I am so happy to hear he is improving. Sounds like you have put all the pieces together through determination and persistence. A tough job but great results. So nice to see he is feeling better so quickly. I bet you are too. *sigh of relief from us all* :)
:hellosmiley:

:-( How dare those posts be so rude! *mutters* We needs our team.

Glad you are here now though :-)

He is doing so much better. Between the pain meds and the antibiotics, there was a noted improvement within a few days in how he looked like he was feeling. I can still see at times he's not comfy but it's a marked improvement.

His "I'm pissed off" face and his "Pain face" are near to identical - so I'll have to pay very close attention.

I have to say that very truthfully - I wasn't expecting much to come from the vet visit. I truly thought it was going to turn out to be wasted energy and money because of the past experiences. I'm so glad I listened to you all and took him in for a second look. We could have, probably would have, had a much much dangerous and severe situation in the not-so-distant future had I not. Charlie, the girls, and I are very grateful. (The girls are kinda saying it under their breaths but I think they mean it in their hearts - they just don't know it yet.) ;-)

Yes, I have to say I am feeling much better too.

The vet did say that with him having such a rough start at the beginning of his life that she wasn't too surprised something like this happened. She sees this happen more often than not in those that have had to have a lot of medication, particularly antibiotics, early on like he had to have. I still remember back then many people were surprised he made it.

Most of the puzzle pieces are together now. A few more minor things to look at - and food allergy is still on the table - but we're going to wait until he's healed before we try changing again for the millionth time.

I'm waiting on a few more questions / answers but it's all looking good!

At some point, I may see if it's possible to edit the first post to include results for others. Make it easier in case someone else has to travel the road we all have.

:bouquet:

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think putting information in the beginning of the thread is a great idea. I am pretty sure you are going to have to get help from staff or moderator to do the but even if it just gives the names of conditions and a link to post numbers that give key details it would cut down on people hinting for information. Still..... I think people will read everything. If my cats was sick, I would. I have read a lot of threads from start to finish if they had something relevant or just interesting. I have even had new people read all of mine! Blew my mind that they read all 1000 +! I hope it was worth it for them. Now I wish I could condense it to just important stuff. ;)
Of course my view on what is important and the view of others is different. Some people just like the upbeat messages or cute cat pics. All perspective.Even if you can’t edit it, don’t worry. I am pretty sure people will read it all. It’s quite a story! :)XOXOXO To you, Charlie and the muttering girls!

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing to say is I spoke to the kind wise Vet tonight. A kudos to you all as she said wherever I was getting my information from - it was really good information. :-) :woo:

Furballsmom Furballsmom - thank you. Hearts happy is a good thing! :-) Couldn't have gotten here without you all XOXOOXOXOX

*Nods* would need the mods for sure - I think the main thing is a vet visit needs to be stressed. I too would read the whole thing if it were my kitty... and have done lol. This has been a wild story. Some I'm still shaking my head at in total disbelief.

I'm still at the beginning of your main thread and am in awe of it all.

I sadly did screw up by Charlie sneaking some food so they can't tell if there is inflammation in the stomach lining *sigh* but it should still be okay we are just moving forwards with a piece missing but should still be able to figure it out. Means mama paying REAL close attention.

I asked about Probiotics and we are on board for that until his food trials. At that point we'll need to stop for a while as there is a beef in it. As with the good flea meds, Feliway and dewormers, we can't get it in Canada unless it's through a vet or sneakily online. Again I say, I can grow pots plants here, smoke it if I wanted - but Lord forbid I want a probiotic etc. :flail:I really don't want to know what goes on in the governments heads.

I asked about the CBD oil. That was an incredibly interesting conversation as well. Vets here are not allowed to discuss dosage yet but can go through research of benefits with patients and their parents. There are several vets university doing research and it's all incredibly promising. She didn't sound at all like she had any aversions to using it. Again, we have to wait until after the food trials but it is another option for him.

One thing she mentioned was that most of the carrier oil are done with coconut and palm. So this issue is fats for the cats etc.

I'll post here too but Frankincense - very small amount patted on a cat after a drop, two at the most, is warmed in the hands. It is also known to calm. The smell of it. So what we talked about in another thread is also good. This also might be a good idea to do all four kitties when they are together - they'll smell the same LOL.

XOOXOXOXOXOXOX to you all!:bunnydance:

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in! I am cracking up and shaking my head at the same time!:flail: No probiotics, good flea meds, dewormer, or Feliway but you can have pot?!?!?! :eek3: Hmmmm. I live in an unusual place but so do you! The world is sometimes a little ........... off?!?!
I hope all is well. I’ve had you all on my mind but my world is a little crazy too. Lol Sending you all kitty hugs and purrs! ( I’m so glad the vet didn’t tell you we are all nuts. Very encouraging considering some of our joking around.)
XOXOXOXO

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in! I am cracking up and shaking my head at the same time!:flail: No probiotics, good flea meds, dewormer, or Feliway but you can have pot?!?!?! :eek3: Hmmmm. I live in an unusual place but so do you! The world is sometimes a little ........... off?!?!
:bliss::dance:hi! :-)

Yup - I can have - and grow pot but nothing else. We think that the legislators are all on pot and that why they've allowed it.

It was made legal Oct 17th - which, little side fact most people don't know (I don't know if I mentioned this before or not - but I'm amused by it) , it's the anniversary of the passing of Gord Downie, lead singer of the tragically hip, who, was a friend of our Prime Minister. Coincidence? I think not.

On top of that one of the big pot growers is a place called UP Canada - owned by the Tragically Hip.

Looking into CBD oil for Charlie - reading everything i can about what's happen etc. Anything that helps him and doesn't hurt him is okay in my books!

I hope all is well. I’ve had you all on my mind but my world is a little crazy too. Lol Sending you all kitty hugs and purrs! ( I’m so glad the vet didn’t tell you we are all nuts. Very encouraging considering some of our joking around.)
XOXOXOXO
I've been catching up on all your posts in your "my ferals" - quite a group you have there and I've read about BJ but I've backtracked to the start of the thread. Amazing. So I completely understand about busy!

Sending you hugs and purrs too! XOXOXOX

We're doing okay - slowly getting there. Today is the last day of Charlies Antibiotics. Then in a week, Monday the 26th is what I'm aiming for as I have most of that day off, we re-test his pee and hope for the best.

After that we work on this not happening again. Though as I'm not sure how this occurred with how clean things are - or what to do yet.

Food trails etc. come next - oh JOY! Here we go again lol

He hates the probiotics and responds the same way he does when I try to change his food, *SIGH* so I am putting as much in as I can during his meals so he will still eat, but at least get something in his system.

He seems much better though. So that is such a good thing! Playful, happy, looking far more comfortable.

LOL @ "considering some of our joking around". I know right lol. Nope, she thinks we are not insane!

Much love to you XOXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOX

Edit to add: Mia is getting slightly braver. I noticed a pattern between her and Charlie - she runs - he makes chase but other than that they are ALMOST peaceable. The kicker seems to be if she gets spooked by something and runs - he chases. Prey mentality maybe? He's still non-to-pleased with her being in the house but seems to very, very slowly accepting it.

W.L is so ready to go exploring. BraveHeart not vet. I feel badly for W.L for not able to do much of that yet. I stopped the slow intros (AKA feeding between the gate) when Charlie got his diagnosis. I figured less stress would be better right now.

I received the Frankincense oil last night - so I am starting that experiment. I hope it helps to sooth the savage beasties!!

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy dance for your adorable little Charlie.

I see you've found some probiotics in the wilds of Canada. But I did a search for some that are just food and should be legal. There are several sites here's one 8 Greatest Probiotic Foods You Should Be Eating - Dr Axe

foods they mentioned tended toward dairy - yogurt, buttermilk, cottage cheese, cheeses: Gouda, cheddar, Swiss, Parmesan (some of my cats loved these particularly Parmesan, but it's pretty salty); miso which is real salty, pickles the rare cat might like those, but I knew one cat who adored sauerkraut which is also a probiotic. Kimchi is also one, but it contains onions and garlic, which means it's not good for the kit. Now that I remembered it, I want some sooooooo bad.