Accessorizing A Bridesmaid Dress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Turns out Fast Flats were discontinued...

I'm seriously stressing out. The clutch hasn't shipped yet. I have a few weeks until the wedding but if it's a cheap disaster I have to find something else.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're beautiful! You did a great job matching everything. :)

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those were my first choice but they were out of my price range :( Thank you though!

They're beautiful! You did a great job matching everything. :)
I couldn't have done it without everyone's help!

I got the variety of shoe inserts. Good news: my feet don't slip out of the shoes anyone. Bad news: They're not any more comfortable. At all. They look pretty fabulous with a nice pair of jeans though. I've been working hard at breaking them in but clearly, I need to work harder. My little toes will be living in moleskin!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Omg I did it! I made the shoes bearable!

The problems:
- 1/2 size too big
- The back rubbed my heel
- Deep brand name cut out in bottom of heel region
- Ball of foot region felt like I was walking on granite
- immediate little toe blisters

Solutions:
- Cotton balls in the toe of the shoe to push my foot back
- These guys to cover the weird cut out and prevent heel rubbing
- Taping my 3rd and 4th toes together to help ball of foot pain
- Ball of foot inserts so it feels like I'm walking on slightly softer granite
- Moleskin on toes

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I read the tip to tape the toes together I thought there was no way it could work. It felt ridiculous. It works though!

The foldable flats are pretty big but I'm positive my feet will be swollen enough to fill them. I'm on set up duty the morning of the wedding so I'll be on my feet the entire time, and then I'll be wearing the heels for a few hours.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you found the combination that works. Some of the skyscraper pointed toe shoes that I see women wearing I knew there had to be something that made it possible.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's one last thing I need help with! Nail color!

It'll just be a simple solid color, not french tip or anything like that. I'm staying away from glittery polish because they're thick and chip easier. Bridesmaids are in charge of setting up the wedding (ceremony, reception, etc.) so I'm sticking to something thin that can be quickly touched up if I chip it. Nude? Light pink? Dark pink? I don't know!

I don't have any polish that's the same shade as the shoes or clutch.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not planning on buying any unless one jumps out at me at the store today. I'll show you the ones I put on last night so I could see if any felt right today. They're some of my best options, but I'll include others when I get home tonight. I have a ton of purples, blues, and reds which I don't think are quite right for the outfit.

The darkest color is like a maroon. The next one is a super sheer shiny pink. The third is like a pinkish nude. The 4th is a weird purple-grey color with the sheer pink on top. My thumb is a bright pink-purple.
0925181319.jpg
0925181319a.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ring finger and middle finger seem to be the prettiest and match best. :)

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I tried posting while I was in airports but the wifi was too terrible!

My first flight was supposed to leave at 6 am. The night before, 2 flights were canceled because it was too foggy for the plane to get to SF, so my flight was delayed. At first, it was delayed until 12, then 2:30, then 3:40... I didn't get on that first plane until around 4. I was supposed to be at the recital by 4. Apparently, since the airport is so tiny only one airplane was doing all the flights. It had to go to SF, unload and reload, fly back, unload and reload, etc. There were 2 or 3 flights to SF before mine that weren't completely full yet they refused to move me on to an earlier flight. I was livid. The connecting flight out of SF didn't get me where I needed to be until 11 pm. My brother's friend picked me up. I used to be really good friends with this guy during the brief time I lived with my mom, but he (and his girlfriend) were so cold and unfriendly that it was super uncomfortable. My brother let me use his truck since he didn't have much use for it in the army, and his friends borrowed it regularly too. I think they were also put in charge of keeping an eye on me. I never put gas in that truck once because they always filled it and they washed it every time they used it. If they took it at 2 in the morning to pull another truck out of the mud, they stayed up and made it spotless before returning it. They always had it back before I needed it in the morning. This particular friend was always the nicest and I became friends with him and his girlfriend at the time (different than the girlfriend at the wedding). It made me really sad that they were so cold the entire time I was there. Anyway, enough about that. I was going to crash at the place my mom was staying since there was an extra room and I didn't want to bother the bride, but my brother insisted I had to stay at the apartment. The bride was understandably grumpy and sleepy. My brother's bachelor party was that night and he came home in the middle of the night, not nearly drunk enough because one of her guy friends was completely wasted and out of control and kept trying to drive. He wanted to put the guy on the couch so he would be safe and not hurt himself or others. Cue arguments and me getting bounced around from couch to their bed (my brother would never let me sleep on the floor!) until everything was worked out and I could go back to the couch and go to sleep. No one got much sleep that night.

The morning of the wedding was a huge rush. The makeup artist was like an hour and a half late and the hair people were running late. The bride scheduled my mother and I to go to hair and makeup at the same time and we were the last to get everything done. The makeup was absolutely terrible. It was so cakey and heavy! I had to have the artist redo my eyebrows because she had turned them into massive caterpillars! I told her I usually keep makeup pretty light and I stick with my natural shapes. There was so much concealer around my eyebrows from her shaping them so much (even before I made her fix it) that it was noticeably raised. I wish I had time to redo it all myself. If I didn't bring my own foundation I would have been orange. When we got to hair (done at a Fantastic Sam's away from the location of the wedding) they were running like an hour behind. The bride had said she didn't care what I did to my hair, but she changed her mind and decided she wanted an updo. Our hair was done beautifully, but it went way too late. We were supposed to be back at the hotel by 3:30. The wedding was scheduled to start at 4. The lady doing my mom's hair (very, very slowly with zero care that we were going to be late) didn't finish her hair until 3:30. Then our first uber didn't show up. The second one didn't show up until 4. We kept telling my brother to just go on with the wedding and we would just stand in the back quietly so no one notices us.

I never thought I'd say this, but thankfully there was a little bit of a wedding dress crisis. She wasn't even dressed yet when we got there. We had time to run and get dressed, then I had to run back to the other side of the hotel to the bride's room because getting her 12 lb princess dress on was becoming a group effort. We were all kicked out of the room because there wasn't space for the bridesmaids and the dress, but we ended up having to squeeze in anyway. The photographer was also in charge of getting the dress laced up, but she was so rough and aggressive that she tore a loop. They had to go search for a sewing kit so things could be sewn back together. For some reason, the garter and shoes weren't put on before her dress so we had to crawl under the dress and do it. At least I wasn't late for the wedding.

Even with the inserts in from my aunt, the shoes killed my feet. My feet were sweating so bad they kept slipping out of the shoes no matter what I did so I'm sure I was walking like a newborn deer. The ceremony was in a courtyard outside. It wasn't super hot, but I start sweating at the mere suggestion of heat. Thankfully the ceremony was quick and I got to sit down in between pictures afterward. I was stuck in the shoes until dinner started because each bridesmaid/groomsman was being announced as they walked to their table. I really, truly hate those shoes. The flats were life savers. Not that I dance anyway, but it was nice to have comfy feet. The food was very good, but the cake not so much. They did 3 flavors (carrot, lemon, and fresh strawberry). I didn't have the carrot because it was all gone, but the other 2 weren't great. We couldn't tell what the strawberry was supposed to be. The lemon tasted good but it was dry and crumbly. The strawberry was moist but super duper crumbly. I thought the cake was beautiful but apparently, it was exactly what the bride said she didn't want.

I assumed since none of the guys had to get pretty, people would be making trips to their apartment throughout the day to take the dogs (2 dachshund/chihuahua mixes, 1 5-month-old massive German shepherd puppy) to the bathroom. Nope. The bride and groom were going out for the night then sleeping at the hotel, again with no plans of caring for the dogs. I was very angry, so I offered to stay at their apartment (instead of my lovely hotel room that was already paid for and past the cancellation date because when I asked them a month ago if they needed me to take care of the dogs they hadn't decided and never updated me on the decision. $60 down the drain). I had to drive my brother's car there, which was terrible. The tint is a mess and is so streaky you can only see out of the front window. To see out the sides you have to roll them all down, and seeing out the back is hopeless. There was 5 poops and countless pees everywhere. They all had to go to the bathroom desperately when I took them out. They're only supposed to have 2 dogs, so each dog has to be taken out individually so people think the 2 little ones are the same dog. 45 minutes of walking dogs around, at least an hour of cleaning the apartment, and then I had to prep my project that I was using my brother's puppy for, which was very hard to do with 3 dogs that have gotten zero exercise running around. What would have taken me 1 hour at the hotel room took me 3 hours. I couldn't actually do the project that night by myself because again, 3 worked up dogs. And the puppy was acting like a puppy, trying to eat everything. I couldn't keep him from eating things while I got him ready for the project. It took me over 30 minutes just to do 3 measurements on him! On the bright side, I bonded with the dogs. There were no accidents while I cared for the dogs because I made sure to take them out every 3-4 hours or when anyone seemed a little antsy. I didn't get much sleep that night.

So basically it was beautiful but very stressful and exhausting.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow that does sound stressful and exhausting. I think a nice casual ceremony is so much easier on all concerned.