Accessorizing A Bridesmaid Dress

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I need the advice from everyone that has a sense for fashion, unlike myself. My brother's wedding is in a month and I'm a bridesmaid. The dress is champagne (far more gold than the picture shows) and the shoes the bride chose are a dark champagne, but with a mix of brown and holographic (I'm talking major rainbows in the light) rhinestones.

What color clutch should I use? She doesn't care. Also, what kinds of jewelry? She doesn't care about that either.

And one last question. How do I make pointed toe shoes less uncomfortable? They're a little big (to give my toes more room!) and miserably uncomfortable. I'm thinking an insert and one of those rubber sticky things on the back?
0826182046a-1.jpg
2642.jpeg

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm terrible at accessorizing, but I just want to say: ooh, pretty! I love fancy dresses so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't mind the dress she chose, but honestly, I hate the shoes so much. And they don't go with the dress! She says I can wear different ones if I want but she bought us all these shoes and I don't really have the money to buy a new pair. My brother has paid for everything (dress, plane ticket, getting my makeup done, etc.) because that's the only way I could ever be in the wedding, let alone get to it. I also don't want to be the only one not wearing the shoes she gave us.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Which part of the shoe hurts your foot the most? Or rather what part of your foot is hurting?

With a strapless dress like that its really all about the drama. You don't want jewelry to distract from the dress. I would pick one statement piece- either a necklace, bracelet, earrings, something elaborate and bold that will enhance the dress but not detract from it. Like a jeweled necklace and then you could wear small studded earrings, or a bracelet like the model is wearing in the picture, or like a chandelier earring.

You could get like a gold beaded clutch to go with the dress.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My entire foot hurts in those shoes. It only takes about 30 seconds of standing before every inch of my foot is killing me. Toes, ball, heel... The toes are the worst. I despised pointed toe shoes. Getting a half size bigger helped, but nothing can ever make them truly comfortable. They have zero cushion to them so I think I have to get an insert. I'm going to get a pair of those cheap fold up flats to put in my clutch just in case I can't handle the shoes and need a break.

I like the idea of statement earrings. A necklace might be too distracting and my wrists are so small it's hard to find bracelets that fit. She doesn't care what we do with our hair so I'm going to keep mine down (putting it up at all gives me an instant headache) and either spend an hour blow drying it perfectly straight (straighter takes out the little volume I have) or very lightly curl it. It doesn't hold curls well and the iron fries my hair. What kind of earrings would you recommend? Preferably something cheap because all but a select few metals make my ears swell and bleed, so I'll never be wearing the earrings again.

A gold clutch could work. I'll get a better picture of the shoes if I manage to get home before the sun goes down so the color shows better.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think a light pink clutch would look pretty with the champagne and gold. I suggest putting bandages on your heels if you cant break the shoes in ahead of time it could be quite painful. A lot of the time at weddings people take off shoes to dance though so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

I think diamond or diamond looking studs would look good. Or in a stone or pearl matching the clutch you choose. I like the idea of a simple, choker like necklace, too, but no necklace could be pretty too

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I finally dug up the shoes online! All the silver stones make rainbows. Very bright rainbows.

shoes 2.jpeg
shoes 3.jpeg
shoes 4.jpeg
shoes.jpg
the shoes.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blister band aids on the back of your heel do wonders, BAND-AID® Brand HYDRO SEAL™ Bandages Blister Heels, 6 Count. I like them so much better then the pads on the shoes themselves. I'd bring a pair of flats to change into after the ceremony so you only have to worry through the ceremony and photos. The dress looks long enough that people probably won't notice.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is the best way to break in heels? I have to get the rubber sticky things (like these: because the shoes are too big, so I'm not overly concerned about the shoes rubbing my foot. My pinky toes will be well bandaged though.

Are full sized insoles best or the ones that are separate pieces for the ball and heel?

Kieka Kieka are they thick enough for shoes that are 1/2 size too big?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Earring that are long and dangly. I agree a pink clutch would nice too. Like a light rosey pink.

upload_2018-8-28_15-36-30.jpeg
upload_2018-8-28_15-37-39.jpeg

or if you wanted to go with a necklace something like this maybe paired with smaller earrings.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oooooo those are pretty! Ok trying to find the Amazon equivalent in my price range (less than $20)...

What do you think of these?

The earrings are hard

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is the best way to break in heels? I have to get the rubber sticky things (like these: because the shoes are too big, so I'm not overly concerned about the shoes rubbing my foot. My pinky toes will be well bandaged though.

Are full sized insoles best or the ones that are separate pieces for the ball and heel?

Kieka Kieka are they thick enough for shoes that are 1/2 size too big?
Probably not, they are pretty thin but really work well.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just looking at those shoes make my feet hurt.

I would probably go with sparkly chandelier earrings and a simple understated necklace.
I've walked barefoot on rocks and been in less pain than wearing these shoes for 2 minutes.

In terms of earrings, should they be rose gold or silver? I found a few in my price range but I'm sure there's more

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've walked barefoot on rocks and been in less pain than wearing these shoes for 2 minutes.
sabrinah sabrinah - Free advice from a guy who has no business giving advice here: Weddings and receptions run longer than 2 minutes; find a comfortable pair of ballet flats or Mary Janes the same basic colour as the dress, snap one of the heels off those sparkly skyscrapers, and toss the broken shoe in your luggage, just in case anyone asks, "why."

Know what the best part of being uncomfortable at a social event is? Nothing.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
sabrinah sabrinah - Free advice from a guy who has no business giving advice here: Weddings and receptions run longer than 2 minutes; find a comfortable pair of ballet flats or Mary Janes the same basic colour as the dress, snap one of the heels off those sparkly skyscrapers, and toss the broken shoe in your luggage, just in case anyone asks, "why."

Know what the best part of being uncomfortable at a social event is? Nothing.
This is terribly tempting. You're an awful influence.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’d do more rose gold given the color of the dress (which looks beautiful) and the shoes (which look like instruments of torture). If it were me, I’d keep the jewelry elegant and simple since it’s really about the bride and what she’s wearing. You’re an attractive accessory to her!

I’m totally with Kieka Kieka . Bring another pair of shoes. Wear the instruments of torture for the ceremony and formal pictures then ditch them. Everyone will understand. And if they don’t, make them wear the shoes for awhile. :)

I have Profoots in some of my less comfortable shoes. I found them at the grocery store by the Dr. Scholl’s inserts. They’re very thin but kind of form-fitting foam. They mold to fit your feet after awhile and are soft and comfortable.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The shoes are instruments of torture. She says she bought them for everyone but sometimes I wonder if she's lying and she bought them because she doesn't like me. I've met her once and it was the night before I was moving and I was exhausted and probably had the appeal of soggy bread. She got wine drunk with my mom before they came and they were 2 hours late to visit. My brother was going insane. I've spoken to her on the phone like 3 times, texted a handful of times. I didn't know of her existence until I got a text from my brother saying "hey I got married." They got married last year at a courthouse, then decided to tell everyone a couple days later and are now having the ceremony, a year later. And no, she's not pregnant. No clue why things happened the way they did.

I think I'll just stick with earrings and no necklace. She's super into appearances (and seems high maintenance) so since this is going to be my first time meeting her when I'm not an exhausted, smelly zombie, I want to make a good impression.

I'm buying those ProFoots. They look just right!

So earrings have 1 vote for silver, 1 vote for rose gold.