8 Week Old Kitten Fading

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she going? Its monday today. when weak and "uninterested" forcefeeding is absolutely essential. Not least giving fluids containing electrolytes, ie clear pedialyte, bought or some home made version. A vet can inject suitable fluids subcutan, this is the Quick way, but giving it vigorously at home helps much. also, giving somthing containing glucose / dextrose sugar (in practice honey or White caro syrup). Such a sugar doesnt needs to be digested, it goes directly into blood beginning already in the mouth.

If they are going downhill and digesting has shut off, give just pedialyte with mixed lotsa of glucose sugar. This wont save her if she is dying for real, but may buy you some extra time. Giving the healing process more chances.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Taking her to the vet again today for a recheck

Michelle

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So now he wants to test for Giardia and felv/fiv. My cats all came to my home negative and don't go outside so aren't exposed to any of that. I guess I'll go ahead and do the tests but seems a waste of money.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If your cats, including mom, are negative, there is no reason to test.

Giardia is treated with panacur.

How is she today?

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Giardia was negative. The felv/fiv test was expired so have to send it out to the lab and won't get results till tomorrow. Vet still doesn't know what's wrong, but her dehydration level is improving and she's 1.0 pound now.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He wants to try giving a b12 injection and adding Tylan powder and Panacur to her meds. Doesn't want to do Flagyl.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is an improvement!

The B12 should help, and panacur will get rid of parasites other than coccidia.

Good call on the flagyl (metronidazole). It's very strong and would probably make her ill.

Are you still syringe feeding? Are her poops normal yet?

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poops are still diarrhea and I'm still having to syringe feed because she refuses to eat on her own. I'm offering her 2 typed of wet food and her dry food in small dishes in her crate and she won't touch them. Yet she eats from the syringe eagerly and claws at it while feeding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since she eats eagerly from the syringe and is gaining weight, I feel like she will return to eating on her own down the road.

The diarrhea is the worry now. I'm hoping it will resolve soon.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remind me again what's in the syringe you are feeding? If you are using goats milk or anything rich, try cutting that out and see what happens.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's 1 can A/D mixed with 1 can royal canin babycat with probiotic powder and electrolyte water mixed in. Plus a tablespoon of nutrical.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked because mine were on a goat milk/KMR mixture. The diarrhea would not go away. As soon as I took away the goats milk, I had solid poops. Whenever I feed a can of Fancy Feast Kitten, they get 'soft serve' stools. Only with the Kitten though. It's just too rich. You can experiment with the different foods and find out if one of them is causing this. Keep up the probios and electrolytes.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Test was negative as I knew it would be. Vet today said to just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully she'll start eating on her own soon. Will start panacur this evening.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Test was negative as I knew it would be. Vet today said to just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully she'll start eating on her own soon. Will start panacur this evening.
Michelle, S shell429 , just wanted to say that I'm rooting for your little one to get stronger, start eating on her own and no diarrhea, fully hydrated.
(Learning a lot from you, Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , StefanZ StefanZ , and the other members, here.)
Mega Health vibes for your cute little kitten. :vibes::vibes::blackcat: :hugs:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That's probably all you can do at this point. She needs to get back to two pounds or more.

Is she gaining steadily? Is she playing at all, or still weak?

Is she still on antibiotics?

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still on Clavamox, vet said to do till Thursday for a full 7 day course. Still at 1.0 pound. She's not active in her crate but she definitely fights me when giving fluids, I need help holding her still. She gets excited at feeding time. The vet today said she was impressed with how bright she is compared to last week. Panacur started tonight, she is not thrilled!

Michelle

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, she's probably tired of being given meds. I sure wish she could gain some weight.

How much and how often is she eating?