8 Week Old Kitten Fading

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just had her to the vet this morning, fecal was negative for parasites but she has horrible diarrhea. That started yesterday. She's been listless and not moving much. Weighs just .6 pounds when siblings are 1.8 pounds. She was always smaller but now she's tiny and skinny. They eat Iams kitten dry, have been weaned from mom for 2 weeks. Mom has no interest in nursing them and I checked her, she no longer has much milk. Gave this kitten subq fluids, nutrical and have been syringe feeding canned A/D food all day. Still has diarrhea. I have flagyl on hand but she's so tiny I could probably give her 1/8 of a 250mg tablet. She's definitely fading away and I don't know what more I should do to save her.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gee, I hope someone will come along to help you. Not going to pretend I know anything that will help. @stefanz has excellent advice. Sarthur2 Sarthur2 also knows a lot & is online now.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her probiotics. 1/2 cc (ml) twice a day. Also, it's a very good chance that something in her diet is too rich for her tummy. Try Gerber baby food. Meat only, make sure it has no onion or garlic. You may even try soaking the dry in a formula (KMR) mixture to give her some much needed nutrients. No goats milk, this is too rich for her at this age.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S shell429

I would not give her the flagyl. She probably needs Albon drops for the diarrhea. The vet can also offer an antidiarrheal.

Try syringing clear pedialyte to keep her hydrated.

The Gerber meat only baby food is a good idea.

I hope her organs are not shutting down.

When did this decline begin? Did she used to weigh more?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have chicken baby food and probiotic powder, no KMR on hand I'll have to get that.

Michelle

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Baycox on hand which kills coccidia. Better than Albon. She seemed to lose interest in food last week but I would catch her nursing on mom so I wasn't too worried. Now I see mom has no milk. Over the weekend she felt skinny, was around 1 pound then so I put out some canned food, she and her siblings appeared to be eating it. She didn't feel dehydrated till last night. I now have her separated from her siblings.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely keep her hydrated with unflavored Pedialyte. Feeding her solid food might be taxing
ng her digestive tract so you can try adding an extra teaspoon for extra calories in the Pedialyte. Homemade chicken broth with a tiny pinch of whole/real salt and baking soda and corn syrup is another option. You will need to feed more frequently but you will be giving her system a chance to heal. If you have access to a holistic vet, you can ask about healing herbs such as slippery elm, marshmallow root and red raspberry leaf. The antibiotics and probiotics are both good suggestions, provided that they are spaced far apart. Sending prayers and vibes for your kitten's speedy healing!

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still alive this morning. Going to go back to the vet for some clavamox drops as now she has a weepy eye. She weighs 0.8 pounds today. Still dehydrated so I'll pick up more fluids. Still no interest in eating on her own. I added a bit of probiotic powder to the A/D and the chicken baby food and got some in her. Still having diarrhea.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:vibes:Hopefully the clavamox drops will help, but will take 2-3 days to fully kick in.

Getting sub-q fluids - possibly daily for now - is vital.

I think she will begin eating on her own as soon as she has the strength, and feels better.

:vibes:I'm rooting for this baby to pull through! Thank you for all you are doing for her!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is she this afternoon? Did the vet give fluids and Albon?

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gave fluids, started Clavamox and we did a dose of Baycox because that kills coccidia faster. I got some electrolyte gel which she hates and some resorb electrolyte powder to mix with water. Still not eating or drinking on her own though.

Michelle

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she holding her weight? Can you post a picture of her for us?

I'm hoping she turns the corner soon!

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was 8% dehydrated yesterday, today slightly less so. I'll take her again tomorrow and see, her skin doesn't stay as tented anymore when you pinch it. We are going to send a fecal out to the lab tomorrow, the in-house fecal today was still negative. I wish she'd eat on her own but still won't. She is fighting me more now when syringing her so she's got more energy. Weight is 0.8 pounds. I can't seem to get my picture to upload

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay this picture was her last Friday before all this happened

Attachments