8 Week Old Kitten Fading

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She eats about 5 times per day and is up to 30-36cc of food each time and gets 6cc fluids subq after each feeding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she is getting enough food. I would not feed her less than 5 times a day. She needs every bit of what you are giving her.

I'm very puzzled by her situation. I'm glad she is hanging in there!

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd stop the fluids if I wasn't so worried about her going back downhill. She's still slightly dehydrated so I was advised to continue the fluids. She can barely stand for me to bolus the fluids into her even though I warm them up and use a 25G needle. I may try to use my 12cc syringe and do more fluids less often because she hates it. Her gums are still tacky so I know dehydration is still an issue.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know how much cats hate getting fluids. I think they are really helping to sustain her right now.

When do you expect to hear further results from the vet?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your kitten enjoy cuddling with you? And are you able to apply soothing salves to her rear end - it must be very sore by now. Kitten diarrhea is a real challenge - almost every feral kitten that I pull from the field seems to get it or has it, for one reason or another. Bless you for all that you are doing for her :)

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are losing her, yesterday she didn't want to eat as much so I did smaller meals more often but her weight dropped to 0.8 pounds. This morning she is chilled despite her heating pad. I put an air heater on and moved her to a small bathroom. Gave more fluids warmed up under the skin but she is doing that agonal breathing so I think the end is near. The vets have no idea what's wrong with her, it's just weird that she did so well for 8 weeks then crashed.

shell429

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She passed just a little bit ago. Very sad to lose her especially not knowing what went wrong.

emme123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She passed just a little bit ago. Very sad to lose her especially not knowing what went wrong.
Very sorry ❤ At least you know you did all you could to help her, she knew she was loved and cared for all the way through. My thoughts are with you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, poor baby. I feel so sad. You surely did everything you could to save her. She must have had a birth defect. I had high hopes for her, but since she had been unable to gain weight, I knew something wasn't right.

Thank you for all that you did to try and save her. I think she fought very hard. RIP little one! :rbheart:

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on losing her-you fought the good fight, everything that you did gave her love and encouragement. Perhaps her heart wasn't strong enough...it is never easy losing a kitten, especially when there was such progress. Her little spirit is free now, nothing can hurt her ever again and there are many TCS kitties and members on the other side of Rainbow Bridge to greet her Please take comfort in knowing that by posting in this thread, your experiences have helped educate others.

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss! You did so much to try and save her! :grouphug2::hearthrob:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. She knew how hard you tried. And you gave her love in her time of need.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
S shell429 , Michelle, somehow I think that there must have been a kid in heaven, who needed your special kitten angel, and so she was not meant to stay here, long.:rbheart:
Condolences on your loss. She must have had something internally, that was preventing her from eating on her own, and absorbing nutrients. Thank you for doing everything that you did. :hugs:
Run and play on your next journey, little one. :rbheart:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry. You did everything you could, and she knew how much you loved her. :hugs: