4 Year Old Female Today Started Acting Weird Lets Out Growls And Jolts Backwards

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will definitely take him tomorrow to regular vet.

I may even take him to the lady anyways because she sounded so nice and regular vet is kinda cold at times...good dr just not very cat personable

So basically if a cat has full blockage they will not be laying there comfortably or sleeping right?

Or is it possible they would get lethargic from a blockage?

Thank you for all your insight ton

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, a cat who is blocked will be utterly miserable and in pain - not sleeping! It sounds like he'll get through tonight fine.

The lady vet sounds nice!

Compare prices too! :)

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay great ill monitor closely probably not sleep and make sure he does well, just in case.

Then will take somewhere tomorrow morning asap to get the medicine.

Regular vet is cheapest in the area, but the nurses are kinda meh, not the most caring or friendly at all. And the doctor while he is very patient and calm and knowledgeable just is not super personable to the cats. I like vets that treat them like humans, not animals if that makes sense.

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:

Took a pause on figuring out whats wrong with female to take care of my male Simba.

Took him to a vet the vet felt his bladder and said it was soft ball sized and hard and needed to be put on catheter and hospitalized for 48 hours.

I wanted a 24 hr place so drove there and when we saw that dr she was about to tell me the same thing and he started peeing in front of both of us all over the place.

Very relived,got pain meds and meds to help with spasms and got to take him home.

Going to stop giving dry food in between wet food and try to get him to drink more water throughout the day somehow. Any thoughts?

He completely stopped using his cups and water fountain. I do mix water in his food though which he gulps up.

Got him home and he ate and is jkust cleaning himself, because i had to wipte him down with wipes since he was covered in pee.

He seems good and back to normal.

Havent seen any issues with lady but she will be the focus in a couple days again once I know male is urinating normally.

Thank you all will keep updated on him and female.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you got pain meds and antibiotics. Cats with chronic UTI issues need a wet food only diet so they don't form crystals.

The vets did right by you, and you are doing right by your cat!

Keep us posted on his progress. I'm sure he feels better already!

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks sarthur.

Simba is doing great todeay is good about me administering meds even though they are liquids by drop.

Female hates her and fights me to the death each time lol btu i somehow manage to squeeze it in.

Havent noticed limping from her and she hasnt gone into closet again yesterday or today so far. knock on wood.

Simba is def peeing with much better ease, but will continue to monitor and update you guys over next several days.

I( switched them both to wet food c/d stress only.

THey seem to be hungrier more often maybe im not feeding them correct amounts.

The website says 6 cans per day o_O which seems excessive. Im going to be doing about 1.5-2 cans per cat as they are a bit overweight.

Thank you!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They may need 3 cans apiece. Wet food is higher in protein than dry food so it's metabolized differently. Try to feed them about every 8 hours since they are no longer getting dry food.

You can freeze your leftover dry food to use occasionally if you need to be away for an extended period.

Good to hear that both cats are doing better!

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My problem is that wet food alone c/d stress is expensive. 40$ for 18 small cans. Even feeding 3 cans a day thats 4 of those cases per cat per month. 8 cases for a month for both cats would be $320.

I just cant really afford that.

And website wanted 6 cans which would be $640 a month.

jeez

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do what you can afford. It does not have to be expensive wet food. It can be a grocery store brand. You can give them 2 cans apiece and a small amount of dry food in between. The overall diet needs to be wet food for the moisture and the digestibility.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked it up, and it only has 69 calories per can :/. So they probably will need 3 cans a day each. Maybe 4. For maintenance of an altered older adult cat, 20 calories per pound is recommended, remember to figure that based on their ideal weight not their current weight. So if they're supposed to weigh 12 pounds, they'd need 240 calories, etc.

Where are you buying the food? If your vet will write a prescription (I think they legally have to although they might charge for it), you can order it from chewy, it's $36.99 for 24 cans: Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Urinary Care Stress Chicken & Vegetable Stew Canned Cat Food, 2.9-oz, case of 24

Or maybe a different prescription food? Some of them come in larger cans so it ends up being cheaper: prescription urinary canned cat food - Free Shipping at Chewy.com

Do you think they'd be OK if you fed half Hill's and half Pro Plan Urinary? Or maybe even all Pro Plan? It's a lot cheaper. And it has 75 calories per can so you get slightly more bang for your buck. Ask your vet if you're not sure. Be sure to emphasize to your vet that you NEED to find some way to lower costs. Purina Pro Plan Focus Adult Urinary Tract Health Formula Chicken Entree in Gravy Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 24

Last edited:

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You dont think they need the prescribed wet food for urinary care/stress?

Its what I use now and feed both just so its easy

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just aaw willowys post.

Thank you for doing so much research. Ill ask vet although theyre not super helpful and mostly care bout money.

I think my female doesnt need special food but since I feed them together and live in small apartment ive found its easier to feed them the same thing

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, special food is best, but not if you cannot afford it. The basic need is that your male get wet food, not dry, most of the time.

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called and at first they told me counter wet found is not preferred as it wont do the same thing.

They said royal canin urinary would work too but is more expensive. I asked about the purina pro urinary and they said it should be fine but i felt like they were trying to get me off the phone.

I always get bad vibes there.

Going to call a different place and ask them but not sure if theyd be able to give me good advice if they hadnt seen the cat.

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So unfortunately my female cat, Nala, is still having issues :/ and i feel so bad that i cant just fix it for her.

Seems to be mostly after shes been idle for a while. She jumped down from the chair went to stretch on the floor by extending her front paws and that was fine did the same with the back ones and needed to topple over to the side.

Then she went potty and came out and had to lay her back half down for a few seconds.

I keep thinking that its her joints or paws that are bothering her, in the back.

Going to take her to another vet for a second opinion and show them the xrays and such.

May need to do MRI and blood tests :/

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I heard fancy feast wet foods work just as good as the expensive vet foods. Make sure that whatever canned you buy doesn't have corn meal in it. I think the corn is what causes bladder issues. My elderly girl loved her fancy feast turkey/giblets pate one. Chewy.com is where some good deals can be found. I know fancy feast is not cheap-but they don't like friskeys or other ones. I always got the pate and mashed it good with a fork and a filled the empty can with HOT water=this makes it stinkier and they seem to like it better this way. She used to slurp away at her slurry all day. She was a nibbler-never ate a ton at once.

Hoping you can get your female kitty looked at.

I also found they like freeze dried treats= Orijen has them-my cats love the wild boar the most. There's a ton of flavors. I am still trying to break them of their temptations treats habit. Slowly...

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was going to order the purina pro plan urinary tract but then read a lot of bad reviews of people having their cat immediately getting sick vomiting and diarrhea after eating it.

I also saw that the one they are currently on the hills c/d urinary has some bad reviews too.

Do you guys think if I switched to a nice non urinary wet food and mixed water would that be just as good? o_O

I dont understand why I am having so much difficulty deciding on food for them.

I just want them to be healthy and live for a long time.

I also have some more videos of the female, that I will post later today. Shes still haing some issues and im trying to record as much as can so i can show the vet when i go back ni in a couple weeks.

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are videos of my female, Nala still having some issues with balance??
Also I have noticed yesterday and today there are times in the day where she will lick her butthole excessively for 30 minutes or so. Dont have that on tape but wondering if it is related.

Please note these 3 videos are on different days:

Its not all bad though so here is a cute video of her. Backstory: My male cat simba LOVES strawberries, he will lick them after i take a bite. Nala has always thought they were disgusting and usually backs up when i try to present her with one.

So I was very shocked to come in on this when i left the room for a second with a bowl of leftover strawberries on the floor.

Hilarious @ 38 seconds

Also my Simba is doing well!!

Here is a nice video of him too