4 Year Old Female Today Started Acting Weird Lets Out Growls And Jolts Backwards

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He kept doing the repeat of trying to poop throwing up. Then slept for an hour then did it again 3 times and on 3rd time actually pooped and is now resting again.

So hopefully just stressed out because of vacuum and had an upset stomach or something.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good that he finally pooped. If he continues vomiting and not eating much, he probably needs to go back to see the vet.

What brand(s) of canned food did you end up with? It may not have enough fiber in it and is making him constipated. You could add a tsp of plain canned pumpkin (not the spiced pie filling) to his meals and see if that will help move things along.

The concerning thing is that he isn't just constipated. The additional symptom of vomiting makes it seem that the problem may not be the new diet. However, if his bowels got completely backed up, that could cause inappetence and vomiting. Maybe now that he pooped, you'll see the symptoms resolve on their own. If not, I'd get him into the vet today.

Is he off all meds now? Nothing pharmaceutical that might cause symptoms?

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replies guys.

He is on no meds as of right now.

Still on the science hill CD stress canned food.

Eating about 6-9 ozs(3 cans per day).

I took the day off and am going to watch him closely today, but after pooping yesterday he ended up eating around 230am then again ate this morning around 5 am so I think things have resolved themselves but will watch him closely and as long as he doesnt throw up, stop eating or strain again we should be in the clear and I am going to assume it was stress related due to the vaccum.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think that stress would cause severe constipation, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Perhaps it was an acute bout of constipation for whatever reason and it has passed. :crossfingers:

As a precaution against future occurrences, you might pick up a cat-friendly laxative product to get him some relief as soon as you notice the symptoms.

darkessence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any suggestions on safe cat laxatives from experience?

Or would the pumpkin mixing in wet food work as a natural laxative?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start with a bit of pumpkin for gentleness and see if it works before moving to something harsher like Miralax or Metamucil (psyllium husk), though those are safe options. Also most hairball remedies have some laxative effect...even if you aren't treating hairballs.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can also just mix a few drops of olive oil into her food. It will soften the stool. :)