Will Labor Ever Begin?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BRB

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Which one is worse as far as stress for the cat? Inducing of c section? If inducing is indeed less stressful I would try that before resorting to a c section. It gives the mom more of a chance to bond to her kitten and is less invasive. Because the babies will be close to her scar, I’m not sure if it could cause any potential problems. Spaying after the c section would be a good opprotunity, but right now at such an already tiring time I would say avoid surgery as much as possible. I would try induction, and if she doesn’t respond, then take her in for a c section.
I’m one step ahead of ya. I have decided to call all vets in the surrounding area today to see if they offer it. My vet doesn’t even offer it. Although I do trust them 100 percent, I agree. I want her to have that bond and not saying mothers with csections don’t bond, but I believe they go through WAY harder recovery and I want her to enjoy that time instead of be in pain.

BRB

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a wild guess. I could be totally wrong but a short escape and she doesn't look massive makes me think a smaller side litter. Also some of the earlier posts about movement.

I'd love to be right but wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong.
I believe I can feel at least three. I say this because the movement on one side of her tummy is spread out pretty far. They are my kickers. However, I can feel movement on the other side as well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please use a vet who will perform an x-ray before commencing surgery. The x-ray will reveal the number, position, and gestational age of the kittens.

Spaying during a c-section is common practice and will not impact her ability to nurse.

Many vets will try a shot of oxytocin to bring on labor before resorting to a c-section.

I hope you can see a vet who has experience with all of the above.

BRB BRB

BRB

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far not a single vet with induce her. Says it causes more issues than csection which blows my mind. Still looking

BRB

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so we found a vet who will do it if she meets requirements. They have to be so far along (met) dialated and have to not have babies in odd positions. This is the only way it’s safe. Still praying a miracle happens before then because it’s almost an hour away and the shot should kick in an hour after she receives it. However, at least I have another option first if we meet requirements.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Hoping everything is good to go forward with it. As long as you have healthy babies it will be good.

• Purraise
Reactions: BRB

BRB

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Hoping everything is good to go forward with it. As long as you have healthy babies it will be good.
I’m hoping as well. Dialation and position of kitties will determine it all. Fingers crossed for a healthy delivery today and that my poor Baylee will be okay as well.

Kimberly07

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m hoping as well. Dialation and position of kitties will determine it all. Fingers crossed for a healthy delivery today and that my poor Baylee will be okay as well.
Has she had an ultrasound yet?

BRB

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay guys. Good news.

Baylee’s kitties are doing good and doing great at growth. I will let you all know how many when they are born to see who all is right if people want to continue to guess. So far all have heart beats. They did not induce her. Craziness I know, but he said she is showing some progress and signs of labor and really believes it won’t be more than 48 hours and that she shouldn’t have trouble.

BRB

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay guys. Good news.

Baylee’s kitties are doing good and doing great at growth. I will let you all know how many when they are born to see who all is right if people want to continue to guess. So far all have heart beats. They did not induce her. Craziness I know, but he said she is showing some progress and signs of labor and really believes it won’t be more than 48 hours and that she shouldn’t have trouble.
She is dilating, temp is lower, kitties are in position. Just waiting on contractions. He give me the option to induce her, but did have some risks of reactions and such. He told me he would personally wait since the kittens don’t appear to be too big for her birth canal and then she shouldn’t be facing too many risks. Although she is tired she shows no signs of distress and so he believes this is all due to it being her first time. I told him I was sure she got out april 27th and that had me concerned because the other vet said she could NOT go past that time perio, but since the kitties aren’t huge he said he is not concerned one bit and we agreed to let her do it naturally.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did this vet do an x-ray in order to make this determination?

It’s really the only way to know.

BRB

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you thought about names?
I haven’t because I don’t know the sexes and I want to let the owners choose. They will get to see them from day one.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven’t because I don’t know the sexes and I want to let the owners choose. They will get to see them from day one.
My Mom's cat, Nightfury, was "the Black Kitten" for nearly three months. She just couldn't decide on a name.

• Purraise
Reactions: BRB