Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a potential for rehoming the friendlier ones... however the truth of it is that rehoming the adults is so hard. I have about 20 adult cats in my house right now looking for homes and until they do find homes I don't have room to take on anymore right now. I find comfort that they have a safe place to return to with an amazing caretaker who loves them.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I forgot to mention- THANK GOD we got the younger litter of kittens when we did. Arabella had her kittens in the high grass- not in one of the shelters. So I couldn't see them until the caretaker walked me over and showed me where they were. When we went out today I was shocked to see they had mowed all of that grass down. I don't think they are quick enough yet that they could have run from the lawn mower- and the grass was so high that the person mowing the grass would not have seen them. I can't believe it. They would have died!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, that was a close call! I'm glad you got to them when you did.

I know what you mean about having trouble finding homes for the older cats. I have 22 living with me. The first 6 were ours for keeps, all the ones that came after that were supposed to be staying with us until we found new homes for them. They've been here for 3 years or more now.

:lol:

The last feral cat from the colony I've been trying to TNR was trapped and sent to the No Kill shelter today. She'll get to live out the rest of her days in the big cat room with her buddies.

:woohoo:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
On our way home with them! They had a large amount of ferals to do today and these guys were the last ones they did so they are a little out of it still. The plan was to release them in the morning but if they aren't all bright eyed in the morning I might wait until tomorrow evening....

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sure they'll all appreciate having a safe place to hide until they're wide awake again.

Great job with getting them all fixed.

:beerchug:

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
What an exhausting day. We went ahead and released them this morning. I don't have a trap divider yet (although I definitely will be buying one asap!) so I didn't have a way to safely offer food and water in the trap this morning. They all were alert and ready to go home! We decided to release the momma of the younger kittens. Vet said she no longer was producing milk so she wasn't nursing the babies anymore, I decided not to stress her out any longer in the crate. We met with the caretaker so he could positively identify the other two we caught. He was a little confused. I think he has been calling one of the brown tabbies two names... When he saw the cat he told us was Arabella this morning he said that it was Elise- which is the older mom of most of them. The other two we caught are definitely Jane (she is only a little over a year, she is the mom of the first litter of kittens we caught, her only litter!), and Amelia (Elise's daughter, 7-8 years old). The other one he swears is Elise. He says there are two females left. One that he has not seen in a long time (she may have passed) and Arabella (who I am not certain is still around either... I think he was counting Elise as two cats). Either way we definitely have several boys to do! So we will be planning another day in the future!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Caretaker said that the young kittens we got before they mowed the grass definitely would have been killed. He found a kitten last year almost cut in half that was hit by the lawn mower :( He has a graveyard for those he finds, hit by cars and such, he showed me today. He loves them so much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Caretaker said that the young kittens we got before they mowed the grass definitely would have been killed. He found a kitten last year almost cut in half that was hit by the lawn mower :( He has a graveyard for those he finds, hit by cars and such, he showed me today. He loves them so much.
That is incredibly sweet, and utterly heartbreaking. What a wonderful soul he is.

Our 4 older feral kittens. Jane's first and only litter.
Meet Marvin, Misty, Mable, and Maddy! The two brown tabbies are better than the grey. They still hiss when being picked up. Any tips?
This might help:
Special Pouches Help Feral Kittens Get Used To Humans — And Find Forever Homes

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Our 4 older feral kittens. Jane's first and only litter.
Meet Marvin, Misty, Mable, and Maddy! The two brown tabbies are better than the grey. They still hiss when being picked up. Any tips?
They are so cute!

They are probably the more timid ones and not so outgoing. Bring along a wand toy or da bird and play with them first. Before picking them up, let them smell your hands and then pet them a little then pick them up. It may take a few tries.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have them in a crate for now. Not too much room for a want toy. I did upgrade them to two medium crates zip tied together. And Ghost got a bigger crate. I added another level for him.
20171007_114214.jpg
20171007_114207.jpg
20171007_143132.jpg

He is able to get up on the second level! He still hates me! He was neutered yesterday!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Lol! I was hoping the neutering would calm him down a little!
I'm hoping the 4 older kittens can move into my bathroom soon. They'll have more room in there to bond with me. I have a former feral kitten in there now actually. Juniper. Some of you may remember her, she lived in a woodpile

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might well calm him, but not now while his hormones are still in the bloodstream, AND he's sulking from the surgery! Give him a minute to forget what he lost!

I do remember Juniper! I'm glad that she has progressed so well, and I hope the new kits do, as well!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is able to get up on the second level! He still hates me! He was neutered yesterday!
Poor Ghost. He does look a tad irked. He's probably thinking, "Why I should like you. First you tricked me with yummy food to trap me! Then you took me to the vet who took away the only chance I had of someday being "King of the Colony". And now I suppose you're going to try to make me love you, so you can convince some "family" that I'd be their perfect pet. Well not gonna happen. Least not today. Because I hate you! But maybe someday, because I think I might like being pampered and loved and cherished and warm and safe. That could be a good life! Just let me get these hormones out of my system first, ok, then we'll discuss it." :catrub: