Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Great pictures! I love all their names too.

Do you have the Felliway spray? I used to squirt that on my hands before picking up the wilder kittens. The more handling the better, I think. They'll get used to it eventually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that the trapping craziness with Park Colony is dying down some (for the time being- until I plan another trip to this clinic and raise some more funds) one of my coworkers lives near another feral colony. Another rescue has offered to pay for a few of the spays/neuters so I am going to start helping her trap a few of them. She said there is a litter of kittens, from the sound of it they are 8 weeks old. I am hoping to be able to catch them but I need to find another rescue able to take them in, we have no room right now. Apparently there is a house that lets the cats in and out but none are fixed and there are new kittens every year :( Hopefully able to meet up with them and assess and show them how to trap!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am relieved to have all of my urgent things completed at the Park Colony (getting kittens, Ghost, and mommas) My job there is still not complete as I still have several boys and one or two more girls to do, but I feel like I can take a step back from that one and breathe a moment while I redirect my attention to this new colony.
I was planning on going out tonight before I went to work, but my friend was out of town so I am hoping to go out and look tomorrow evening. I haven't made set plans yet though.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So I went out this evening and loaned my coworker a trap and some bait as well as showed her how to set it. I didn't get to look around too much. All of the cats seem to be living on a property across the road, it almost seems like an unnamed nursing home? Like there are no signs saying what the building is, but I saw nurses coming and going while I was there. My friend said the cats go in and out but they don't belong to anyone and they clearly are unaltered. Its a little odd legally but the cats come up on her porch so I don't think trapping them on her property and altering them would be an issue that someone would complain about? I could be surprised though I guess.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I had a couple of farm cats fixed when I was doing TNR at my last address. I told the farmer's wife that I was going to be fixing the feral cats I fed and she said something like,

"Oh, that's a good idea."

As far as I was concerned, if the farm cats came close to my house and ending up getting trapped their dangly bits were mine!

:evilgrin:

Maybe you could put a business card, if you have one for your rescue, through the door with something like "Doing TNR in this area" on it?

They can't really complain if they are letting the cats roam around, but it would stop them from worrying if the cats suddenly come home with shaved butts or surgery scars.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so a rescue group sent out a plea to a few rescues in the area (myself included) about a colony just a few blocks down from where I wanted to trap. This colony is living out of an older mans house but his colony has apparently gotten VERY out of hand and illness is sweeping it and cats are dying. I am not sure if it is distemper, FIV, Felv, or what. We are trying to collaborate an effort on this.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am hoping that another group will "take over" this colony and we can just aid with trapping and transporting them to the vet. I am willing to do more, but I don't want to overwhelm myself and I am getting close lol. My at home fosters have a URI going around that I am trying to contain lol we are a bit of a mess!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OH NO! I know you are getting close to the edge. While you are taking care of all of these cats, remember to take care of yourself!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
So this older guy that is caring for this newest colony- I am going to call them the Sabraton Colony for now because that is where they are located. It is really sad. Apparently this guy has no family, he just has the cats. He apparently made the comment to someone that if the cats go then he wants to as well. The other rescue groups are trying to evaluate at this point if it is even safe to return the cats here, I think they are worried the neighbors are poisoning them and that is why some have been dying... Animal control had been called at least once by a neighbor... So at this point I am not sure what the plan of action is.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
We are told that he can no longer afford to feed them and his health is getting bad. I am going to meet with him with another lady that already has worked with him (she had TNRed a few of the cats a year or so ago, but hasn't been able to keep up on it due to other obligations) and with another rescue we are hoping to work with to help. I am not really sure what we are going to do. How we will determine if it is safe to return the cats, and if it isn't safe how we are going to handle the situation.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Man, that is horrible. Poor guy, poor cats. I don't envy you this one in the least little bit. Although, if I were there, not here, I'd be with you on it!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I am meeting with him and a couple other rescuers on Tuesday evening!
David, (caretaker of Park Colony) said there definitely is another litter of kittens. They are older and more elusive. He thinks there are three, although he has only been seeing two. I have not seen them but it sounds like they are older and will just need to be TNR'd I am hoping to plan another trip soon. I want to get some of the boys done and hopefully catch any remaining females. He thinks that this older litter is Amelia's (one of the tabbies we just got spayed).