Wild And Wonderful Animal Rescue's Feral Cat Tails...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did the same thing, took Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, once the kids were grown and living halfway across the world. It just seemed right to me. I'm not surprised that you are doing so, with your great heart and gentle spirit.

Have a Furry Meowrry Krismouse!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
All the poor feral kitties. Yesterday I discovered that the furnace at Clyde's was broken :( It was zero degrees last night and about the same in the house. All the water bowls and his pipes are frozen solid. Early this morning I took over three space heaters and put them all in the kitchen since that is where they eat and hang out mostly. I am hoping to at least get the chill out of the air for them.. I am going to see if I can borrow some more space heaters from someone to help more... The poor babies are so confused. Their caretaker has been gone for months and now their home is frozen. Clyde is really worried about them being cold, for good reason. Hopefully the next time we go out it is a little warmer in there :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thankfully you are there to help!

Perhaps it is a breaker? Is there any chance Clyde can call and authorize a service visit/repair under your supervision?

Poor kitties! The kitchen sounds warm now though.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Well he had called his step son... but he is in no rush to come out and see what is wrong with it. I can't go check on them again until tomorrow evening. I hope that they are fine now and that the kitchen has warmed up. Clyde's family friend Harriet (who is the one who originally contacted us for help with the cats) is very concerned, I think she is going to pay for someone to come out and look at it. The next week we have temps going in the negatives without the wind chill factored in. I have only been seeing a couple of the cats when I have been going out... I am guessing everyone is huddled under the house for warmth... not that I am sure it is any warmer there... at least now the chill should be out of the kitchen...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Poor little things. Does Clyde have shelters for them under the house? Maybe you could set up some shelters in the kitchen? A few cardboard boxes with straw in would be a lot better than nothing, keep them warm even if the heat goes off.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Well there wasn't any shelters there because up until this week they had a nicely heated house to go into when it was cold. Hopefully when I go today the kitchen will be warm and the water bowls will be thawed... I moved them to in front of the heaters.

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I just didn't think that I would have to worry about them being cold because they had a warm house to get into... but it is always something.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I have a couple of shelters in my enclosure. A few of my boys like to sleep outside even at this time of year. There's a cat door, so they can come and go as they please, but some of them stay out until it starts snowing.

I've had problems with my cat door freezing shut a few times too. Always good to be prepared, just in case.....

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few of the Styrofoam coolers to make shelters but I just used the last of my straw for a different colony.. I'll have to get some more. There are at least 20 cats at this colony though... Heating the house is going to be ideal to keep them all warm... there is no way that I can make more than a few shelters for this location. I am hoping they found another house to sleep under that is warmer. I have only been seeing three of them the last couple of days.. Kyle went down to the basement to check the furnace and he said he saw several down there.. so hopefully they are keeping each other warm down there...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kyle went down to the basement to check the furnace and he said he saw several down there.. so hopefully they are keeping each other warm down there...
I am continually amazed at what they can tolerate and still survive. Thank goodness they have people like you to help!

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Well we went out this evening... It was about 38 degrees in there according to the thermostat. I adjusted the heaters and it blew a fuse I think. None of the outlets would work, but we tried the breakers and it wasn't that. I called Clyde and someone is coming out tomorrow to work on the furnace and he will tell them to check the fuses. So no heat tonight :/ I am so stressed about it. They all got warm canned food tonight. Hopefully they are all cuddling together.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh no! Terrible news. There is even colder weather coming too. Could be a fuse or who knows? Terrible timing!

I sure hope something gets fixed tomorrow for the sake of the kitties. Thanks for checking on the kitties and feeding them.

Are you seeing more of them at feeding time?

ashade1

Top Cat
Purraise
Clyde seems to think that everything is going to be fixed tomorrow. Fingers crossed. If not I will have more time to make up a couple of the Styrofoam shelters and bring them over... I didn't have time today because I stopped to feed them on my way to work.