Why do people not like black cats?

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My black cat, Mingo, is super smart and dog-like too. He follows me around all day like a puppy and has to be in the middle of whatever I am doing. You should have seen him "helping" me change the flapper on a toilet. He has lately figured out how a lever-type door knob works, so I have to lock the screen door to keep him from escaping. Both my kitties are indoor only, but Mingo gets bored and would love to roam outside.
I would love Carter and Hugo to be inside only cats as I do worry when they are out. Amazingly they keep to their curfews almost to the minute. If one of us is at home all day then they are let out at 1030am and in at 4pm in winter and 9pm in summer. If we are both at work then both cats are in all day. If we come back pre curfew time then they get a little time outside but at the moment have at least 3 indoor days a week. We got a new conservatory that's basically used exclusively by cats! The two sofas, rugs and plants make it super comfy and a sort of inside outside. The underfloor heating was a big hit during the winter and the initial shock at the huge electric bill was eased by the pleasure they both get from it. They are never outside without someone being at home. Traffic in the area I live has increased hugely and our small private and dead end road may end up with an unscrupulous developer building a block of flats on the piece of land at the end. The plan says 36 flats so in theory that could mean an extra 36 cars going in and out of the road. That's the minimum number as most houses have at least 2 cars these days. There's 14 houses in our road and only 8 cars at the mo want so it's really quiet and everybody is aware of the animals and children who live here. There's currently more cats than cars in our street. That can't be a bad thing! We are so worried about the future and the safety of the road that we are looking at fencing off the back garden with cat proof fencing so that they will be completely enclosed and have no access beyond the garden. Several if my cat loving neighbours are also considering this. We've got together and looked at the options and may all get the same design from the same company and get the work done at the same time. This will enable us to get a better price as well. There's 5 cat families who are all interested. It might seem drastic but could keep our cats safe and stop us worrying!

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem is trying to find fencing that doesn't make your garden look like a cat version of the GULAG! I'm thinking cat proof tips that are at an inward facing 45 degrees that they can't scale. There's some great wood then wire fences where the wire is almost invisible.we had a neighbour a couple of years ago who thought it would be a great idea to set broken glass in cement along the length of their wall. Within a couple of days the council sent their building enforcers to their house and gave them a week to remove it. It was hideous and just a matter of time until some bodies cat got badly injured. Maru the Japanese box loving cat in YouTube has a lovely garden that's enclosed. I think the owner had to do it once Maru became famous to stop cat thieves. Hopefully we won't have to do it as its a shed load of money but if we do it'll be a design that blends in with the garden. The only access the cats will have to the front is through our front door. If it's done the garden will be a true cats safe haven. Our local friendly fox wont be able to come in for his winter food but I'll work something out

Hoosier Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
People tend to believe what they are taught, or what is passed down from generation to generation. In some countries cats are deemed bad luck while, in other countries, they are believed to be good luck. I've never been one to take stock in superstitions. I happen to be the proud owner of one and he is the beat of my heart!
Here is an interesting link that tells of the luck, both good and bad, of black cats.
Black Cats Superition - Lucky and Unlucky Black Cat

Hoosier Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The problem is trying to find fencing that doesn't make your garden look like a cat version of the GULAG! I'm thinking cat proof tips that are at an inward facing 45 degrees that they can't scale. There's some great wood then wire fences where the wire is almost invisible.we had a neighbour a couple of years ago who thought it would be a great idea to set broken glass in cement along the length of their wall. Within a couple of days the council sent their building enforcers to their house and gave them a week to remove it. It was hideous and just a matter of time until some bodies cat got badly injured. Maru the Japanese box loving cat in YouTube has a lovely garden that's enclosed. I think the owner had to do it once Maru became famous to stop cat thieves. Hopefully we won't have to do it as its a shed load of money but if we do it'll be a design that blends in with the garden. The only access the cats will have to the front is through our front door. If it's done the garden will be a true cats safe haven. Our local friendly fox wont be able to come in for his winter food but I'll work something out
Gaven, I saw this online and thought you might be interested. I know you are in the UK, but I'm pretty sure you can find it there, or at least online? It is available in Western Australia, Europe, and New Zealand. It is a roller-bar that is attached to the top of your fence and cats can't get over it. I'm including the link to the product and a site with a video. Once you see it, it's possible you (or a crafty friend?) could construct something similar.
OUR PRODUCTS

Catproof Gardens

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People tend to believe what they are taught, or what is passed down from generation to generation. In some countries cats are deemed bad luck while, in other countries, they are believed to be good luck. I've never been one to take stock in superstitions. I happen to be the proud owner of one and he is the beat of my heart!
Here is an interesting link that tells of the luck, both good and bad, of black cats.
Black Cats Superition - Lucky and Unlucky Black Cat
i read a really interesting article about what happens when peoples superstition gets out of control. The Black Death in 17th century London had a clear path to killing so many people because the rat and rodent population had increased and the fleas the carried the plague also grew in number and were able infect everything around them. There were many other contributing factors but the persecution of anybody who was different or was denounced as a heretic or practicing witchcraft also led to mass cull of cats. Here is the link:
Cats and the Black Plague
I'm going to read some more about this as I find it really interesting. I think the cat world definitely got their revenge on the people who persecuted them

Hoosier Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That was a very interesting article, Gaven; however, I can't understand the logic behind it.
The rats carried the fleas, therefore spreading the plague. So they believed that the cats helped eradicate the plague by killing off the rats. But wouldn't the cats have also carried the fleas that were transferred to them from the rats, thus continuing to spread the plague?
One pair of rats can produce approximately 2,000 descendants in one year, whereas one pair of cats can produce approximately 60,000 descendants in one year. With just those numbers, I would tend to think the cats would have contributed a greater transmission of the plague. Maybe I'm just over-thinking this? LOL

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why do people not like blackcats?

I wonder if anyone with opinion?

Thanks
I read somewhere that what's becoming an even bigger problem for black cats in the US than superstition is that they aren't as photogenic. We've become so obsessed with Instagram pictures of Unicorn frappuccinos that they sell out in a day. We use filters on our snapchats that slim our faces and smooth our complexion. And yes, we've begun passing up animals because an adorable envied social media post is more valuable to us than saving the life a cat who needs extra good lighting to really pop on camera. Sad but true. :(

Hoosier Mama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I read somewhere that what's becoming an even bigger problem for black cats in the US than superstition is that they aren't as photogenic. We've become so obsessed with Instagram pictures of Unicorn frappuccinos that they sell out in a day. We use filters on our snapchats that slim our faces and smooth our complexion. And yes, we've begun passing up animals because an adorable envied social media post is more valuable to us than saving the life a cat who needs extra good lighting to really pop on camera. Sad but true. :(
Black cats CAN be tricky to photograph if you don't have the right lighting, but it can be done. I sometime have to take 100 pics just to get one or two worth keeping, but I keep working at it. Besides lighting, the hardest thing about taking pictures of Keeker is that he never stays still for long, unless he is in a dead sleep - - and he always seems to know when I pick up the camera!
002 (16).JPG
004 (11).JPG

shannon1984

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Black cats CAN be tricky to photograph if you don't have the right lighting, but it can be done. I sometime have to take 100 pics just to get one or two worth keeping, but I keep working at it. Besides lighting, the hardest thing about taking pictures of Keeker is that he never stays still for long, unless he is in a dead sleep - - and he always seems to know when I pick up the camera!

Lol sounds familiar! I haven't really gotten good at photographing Bagheera yet. He's a short haired lanky shifty eyed thing. This is his typical "you will pay attention to me immediately" pose. I actually read that article about black cats being euthanized often because of their unfavorable photos when we were deciding between him and his brother. It was all settled once I read that. We got both. :)

IMG_1875.PNG

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That was a very interesting article, Gaven; however, I can't understand the logic behind it.
The rats carried the fleas, therefore spreading the plague. So they believed that the cats helped eradicate the plague by killing off the rats. But wouldn't the cats have also carried the fleas that were transferred to them from the rats, thus continuing to spread the plague?
One pair of rats can produce approximately 2,000 descendants in one year, whereas one pair of cats can produce approximately 60,000 descendants in one year. With just those numbers, I would tend to think the cats would have contributed a greater transmission of the plague. Maybe I'm just over-thinking this? LOL
From what I understand the cats being killed was related to their so called connection to people who were accused of practicing witchcraft, heracy or anything that deviated from the religious practice of that time. Familiars or animal guides were thought to serve witches by carrying out their evil deeds. They were considered as malevolent and sometimes thought of as demons. The persecution of basically anybody different must have been made even worse by people settling personal scores and the overly superstitious atmosphere of the time. So the cats were a casualty of this and their reduced numbers allowed rats and rodents to increase in number and therefore the carriers of the plague carrying fleas to also increase. Cats must have been responsible for killing a huge number of rodents in urban areas.

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Amen. I agree totally and it continues to baffle me. This is one of the reasons why I've rejected all social media except this site. I was on a train home last week where there was standing room only at the back. As I looked down the carriage all I could see were hundreds of phone screens with the unmistakable blue logo of Facebook at the top. The entire train was engrossed in their Facebook pages. For a minute I felt like a real outsider and that I'm doing something wrong. I must admit that ten years ago when I did use Facebook I know that if I had posted loads of photos of my cat on my profile I would have got a really negative reaction from my invisible friends. While looking at YouTube this weekend I saw countless people who clearly make a living from YouTube from advert payments making videos that basically beg for money through donations to Kickstarter and Patreon. The common speech was 'if you want to continue seeing my videos them donate here so I can do that'. I was amazed. There are so many websites, including this magnificent one that operate without wholesale begging and through people's devotion and hard work. There's some amusing stuff on YouTube and some videos that have saved me a fortune with stuff like repairs or household problems but donating money so that a guy can make more videos of him running about with a plastic airsoft gun doesn't make sense. How about people donating to worthy causes like animal shelters, to help people pay their bets bills if they are in financial difficulty or for veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan who need support. The worthy causes are endless but I suspect not as glamorous as helping a Vlogger pay his airfare or enable them to turn their hobby into a paid job. TCS will be the only social media I use and the only causes I'll donate to will be animal or veteran related. That being said at the moment donating money is something I just can't afford

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
With all this talk of witchcraft, persecution and plague I thought a lighthearted photo may be in order. It's a 'Why am I sushi?' Cat that we got in Central London. When I'm there again I'm going to get one with a black cat and post it. If you're outside Europe you can get this bizzare item in Amazon for $10. The box is as cool as the item

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think black cats are gorgeous. I choose a cat based on personality but gravitate towards black or grey cats, over orange, tortoiseshell etc.
My cat is a semi longhaired black kitty with a tiny white bib. I think the black coat sets off his green eyes very well. Super friendly and fun cat he is.
A shame a silly long ago superstition may be causing more black cats to be put down. People will naturally have a personal preference for color of coat but if ignorance is behind some of it....

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Note to everyone with black cats

Halloween Danger ! Some "off" people look for black cats this time of year for rituals and ceremonies.
Keep kitty inside if you can . Watch carefully for suspicious people . Remember most animal shelters and adoption services will not place a black cat in October . Sad but true ...
EAT SOME CANDY ... !

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_0712.JPG
Charlie generally doesn't stay still very long, but I wouldn't trade any of his pictures for anything.

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trick or Treat is just around the corner and people sometimes get
Black kitties for the wrong reasons. Keep your black kitties indoors
on October.31. I Love My Tuxedo
image1 (3).JPG