Why do people not like blackcats?

I wonder if anyone with opinion?

Thanks

Last edited:

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of people love black kitties (like me!)

Some silly people like to play into the superstition that black cats mean bad luck. Which is obviously not true, but hey.. you can't tell people what to believe.

Here's a couple links you can read up on the origin of the myth.. there's some interesting info.. as well as cultures who believe black kitties bring GOOD luck :-)

http://www.kinrossfolds.com/cattery/superstition.html

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/09/why-black-cats-are-considered-bad-luck/

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 black cats, and they're wonderful. I've had people tell me they wont come to my house because it's bad luck to be around the cats ... seriously? I sleep with them on my head and cuddled next to me most of the time... cant say my luck is any worse than the next persons... That's fine though, if someone is that afraid to come near my home because of the color of my cats' fur, its probably better off all around :lol3:

I took to adopting black cats (also adult black cats) just because they are so 'discriminated' against by so many people and I think they deserve a wonderful life just as much as any other color/breed/etc! :) I love my little black panthers.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I have had several cats over the years.  Max came to me in 1994 and lived until 2005.  He was my heart, soul mate cat.  He was a tuxedo.

I still miss him.  He was the smartest cat I ever had.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People and their silly superstitions. Thats all it is. My Parker is all black and I love him with all my heart. The whole "bad luck" thing never crossed my mind when I agreed to rescue him.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most people don't even know where their fear of cats in general and black cats in particular came from.  It goes back to the Puritans that were the first European settlers in the U.S. and their fear of witches, the same fear that caused the Salem witch trials.   They believed that witches used cats, black cats in particular, as familiars to contact evil spirits.  They also believed they could use their cats to carry out their evil spells.

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over here black cats are popular and I have never heard any discrimination agains black cats here, I was very surprised to hear that from other countries, I must admit I think that sounds rather silly! (beeing against black cats)  Even though people are aware of superstitions with black cats, it has not led to any opinions agains them in real life, luckily.

I did want a black cat for years and I have one now.   :)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard that much of Europe (and maybe especially the UK--any confirmation?) has a problem with white cats.

Black cats are way over-represented in the euthanasia statistics in the U.S., so, if you want to save a life, adopte a black cat!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had that problem over here with white cats, and I have had four (now 3). ALmost everyone who sees mine gasps in amazement and exclaims how beautiful they are and wants to know the breed! They get upset even when I smile and say, yes, they are 100% purebred Sarajevo Alley-cat!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people don't even know where their fear of cats in general and black cats in particular came from.  It goes back to the Puritans that were the first European settlers in the U.S. and their fear of witches, the same fear that caused the Salem witch trials.   They believed that witches used cats, black cats in particular, as familiars to contact evil spirits.  They also believed they could use their cats to carry out their evil spells.

elvedee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Because they are silly! My little black kitty is so beautiful and sweet :)

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been viciously attacked by three cats in my life - and I promise I am not kidding when I say "viciously".

The first one was a cat of an acquaintance that attached itself to my leg with all four claws and teeth while I was just sitting there watching a football game. The second was a cat that jumped on my head/face from a bookshelf as I entered a customer's basement. The third one was actually my mother's cat that used to crawl under the bedroom door and viciously claw and bite at my toes.

All three of these were black cats. I don't dislike black cats and I believe it's just a strange coincidence. However, I don't think I would tempt the fates and adopt one either now. :/

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black cats also do not photograph well and their nose and mouth can kind of 'disappear' into their faces, making them look evil from far away.

I love black cats. I went straight for Grim when I started looking back in 2011 :nod:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I don't know why some people don't like black cats. To me that is "racist".  It's like saying you don't like people with black hair or black skin.

I've had 2 black kitties, 1 orange kitty, 2 white kitties, and 3 grey kitties.  So I'm an equal opportunity crazy cat lady!  lol

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love black cats, and always have.  When I adopted Jason my mom and I were hoping that they would have a black kitten, but there were only four little tabbies.  When Stella was captured I was kind of excited that it was a black kitten, but saddened that I now had this perfect little black kitten that I couldn't keep.  Then I kept her...

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like black cats i had 2 back in 2009 and funny thing is now i have 3 black dogs -_- weird i know and i have a mostly black cat with white chest and paws

socksy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't think the bias against black cats is because people are afraid of them.  I don't know anyone who's actually afraid of black cats or honestly thinks anything of those superstitions.  I think they just appear plain and boring to most people, especially in pictures.  People seem to like unusual or flashy markings.  Pointed cats seem to be adopted before you can even blink, and after that, lighter coloured and multi-coloured cats seem to go.  

I like black cats just fine!  I suspect most on this forum know they're just as good as any other cat.  I had a black cat named Ridley until he died tragically young.  Here's a pic of him cuddling with my shiba inu, Tojo, who is also deceased.  He was so full of personality!  He was feral until about 16 weeks old when he came to live with us.  We took him and his three littermates in (a ginger tabby and two torbies) and we chose to keep him because he got along so well with our other animals.  I really miss him.