Why do people not like black cats?

mrbreezeet1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like black cats, there's nothing wrong with them.
The one I had was a real nice and loyal cat.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fun fact: black cats are revered in Japan. It's said a woman who keeps a black cat will have many suitors.

They are considered symbols of luck and prosperity.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I socialized with one black cat I liked. It was a kitten at Petco that acted so much like my blue Tom. But I already had a Tom from Petco, so I hoped he got a good home.

I did get stuck with this hellion tuxedo cat. He was almost a year old and still had his huevos. We told the kids never to fall for his act and try to play with him, because he would try to murder them. He plays really rough with his dad and sometimes he threatens Tommy and once boyfriend broke them up and got bit by him and had to go to urgent care for infection. He started spraying too. 
But his dad worked with him over his spazziness. And he and Tommy are on Prozac for the spraying. He started it and got my cat to start doing it too. And now he's 5 years old and will often go into the kids' rooms and take things away to play with. He ends up in my lap several times a week.

Most recently he thought he could help me make a batch of raw cat food. 

We ended up with Stewart because he was a stray. And I got him sterilized. And then we said we could find him a home but he was a little feral. Then we said well great we can't find him a home because he has asthma. You give a cat with a medical and behavioral problem to the humane society and they'll probably euthanize him. He's been ours for 4 years and is NOTHING like my cat. And my little tortie absolutely hates him. 

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand keeping cats away from babies for that reason, it makes sense. Maybe that's how the myth came to be in the first place.
Cats Suck Babies' Breath

(Snopes is a totally awesome site.)

I can actually see an accidental smothering though. I had two cats when my daughter was born. The bigger, fluffier cat was constantly found in her bassinet with her. Thank goodness the cat always, always, always slept at her feet because that cat completely filled a third of the bassinet. I'd hate to think of what would have happened if the cat preferred the top of the bassinet.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Black cats seem more aloof and not as affectionate as others. To me they seem even more curious and like to sneak around and hide.
I how have over 20 of the black devils and love them all ...
:bigeyes::hearthrob:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
In a way I'm surprised that black cats have a harder time getting adopted. I one time went to the local shelter, just to look (yeah, like just window-shopping a cupcake shop). There was a solid black cat, polydactyl to boot, named Mischief. The shelter had a 3 day waiting period before an animal could be adopted out (waved only for owner surrenders, as the waiting period is to give owners a chance to find a lost animal) and Mischief was on day 1. I called on day 4 in the afternoon and was told that Mischief had been adopted out that morning and I was the 20th person that day they had to tell sorry to.

susanandjose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that black cats (even domestic shorthairs or general mutts) are more likely to be descended from Siamese. When you look at the Burmese and Bombay cats (who are related to Siamese), this does seem to be true. Apparently all-black results from a recessive gene -- making them extra special!

I have had my black cat Maceo for 11 years, and he is definitely the smartest and most dog- or person-like cat I've ever known. He plays fetch (he taught himself), he opens every drawer and door, he has conversations with us in which he and we know exactly what is being communicated, and he is fully harness-trained for excursions. He's also extremely soft and velvety (softer than my gray and white cat) and amazingly juicy and squishy. I've felt up plenty of other cats and they are just not like this!

When it came time to adopt a new cat to keep Maceo company after his bonded friend passed, we chose another black kitty. They are adorable together and definitely share some attributes.

The adoption people always say that there are more black cats than any other color in the shelters, which makes me sad. It's now my color of choice! All cats are lovely, but for some reason the black cats seem more communicative, responsive, and attentive, which makes for a great companion :)

Superstitions are bull. These cats have only brought great fortune and love into my life!

IMG_5753.JPG

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Purrsonally, I love black cats!

The only reason I've never had one is simply because I can't see them in the dark, and I'm accident-prone enough as it is! :lol:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you believe... there is even a superstitious smiley for black cats??!!

Ridiculous!! That's terrible.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the years we had two black cats....loved them both.

Gaven Kent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that black cats (even domestic shorthairs or general mutts) are more likely to be descended from Siamese. When you look at the Burmese and Bombay cats (who are related to Siamese), this does seem to be true. Apparently all-black results from a recessive gene -- making them extra special!

I have had my black cat Maceo for 11 years, and he is definitely the smartest and most dog- or person-like cat I've ever known. He plays fetch (he taught himself), he opens every drawer and door, he has conversations with us in which he and we know exactly what is being communicated, and he is fully harness-trained for excursions. He's also extremely soft and velvety (softer than my gray and white cat) and amazingly juicy and squishy. I've felt up plenty of other cats and they are just not like this!

When it came time to adopt a new cat to keep Maceo company after his bonded friend passed, we chose another black kitty. They are adorable together and definitely share some attributes.

The adoption people always say that there are more black cats than any other color in the shelters, which makes me sad. It's now my color of choice! All cats are lovely, but for some reason the black cats seem more communicative, responsive, and attentive, which makes for a great companion :)

Superstitions are bull. These cats have only brought great fortune and love into my life!

View attachment 177013
I'm convinced that black cats are more intuitive and almost other worldly. My black cat Carter is so much more communicative on all levels than my tabby Hugo. I don't know if it's because he's 17 and Hugo only 3 but Carters always had a wisdom that's well beyond his years. All the black cats I've had since childhood have had that extra close bond and intelligence that has set them apart from our other cats. I love all my cats past and present dearly but the black ones have always had another level to them. Maybe it's hundreds of years of folklore that's surrounded them and ingrained itself into our thinking

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My black cat, Mingo, is super smart and dog-like too. He follows me around all day like a puppy and has to be in the middle of whatever I am doing. You should have seen him "helping" me change the flapper on a toilet. He has lately figured out how a lever-type door knob works, so I have to lock the screen door to keep him from escaping. Both my kitties are indoor only, but Mingo gets bored and would love to roam outside.