Which would you rather have

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope to have 1 large dog and 1 small dog sometime in my lifetime. I
German Shepherds. At some point I'd also love to raise a small breed puppy alongside a kitten. I hope I live long enough to do all of that.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Our Boxer was an adult (from a shelter) when we got him, and the problems started after he was attacked and badly injured by another dog when he was 5. He never trusted strange dogs after that, and we couldn't trust him with them. One time I was walking him in the woods, and a Lab came up, wagged his tail, laid down, and presented his belly and throat to Fritz. No problem, right? Fritz went for his throat.
Our Boxer came from a shelter too, at age one
, fortunately, she is a submissive dog for the most part (so far
)- being attacked would certainly explain his not liking strange dogs
. My dad's GS (now RB) went for me one day, I don't like strange dogs either, anymore

Originally Posted by jcat

Laps, okay, but what do you do when the puppy grows into a huge Great Dane, e.g., and still tries to fit on your lap? My sister's Dane (RB) used to do his darndest to "fit".
The general consensus on the Boxer forums seems to be that you say "OOOF!" (and make sure they've learned the "off" command!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaylacat

Well right now there wouldn't be enough room here for a big dog. I love them all but I would rather have a small dog right now. I think it would fit into our family better and I wouldn't be as paranoid about them eating my birds for lunch.
My last dog was a dachsund mix and I would like to get another. Maybe a yorkie, cocker spaniel or a pomeranian(sp).

Or just a cute little mutt.
I had a cocker spaniel and I have chickens and that didn't work out very well the cocker spaniel snatched a chicken out of my dad's hands.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Macy likes trying to fit in our laps as well but she normally sits to the side of us now and she has the sweetest thing she does where she will lay her head on you and then look up at you with these big sad eyes and she just melts your heart.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mattie gave me the that guilt-inducing look last night ("but momma, I just need some snuggle time with you so bad"), and I ended up spending an extra half and hour in my recliner (at midnight) with a 57 lb dog taking a nap in my lap!
I'm a sucker...

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both.. I've got a 4 year old German Shepherd, a 2 year old APBT, and a 3 year old Jack Russell Terrier... all rescues. I prefer larger dogs and my next puppy will hopefully be another German Shepherd... unless someone else picks me first, lol.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

We are looking at getting a portuguese Water Dog, it is a Medium/large dog that is hypoalergenic and non-sheading.
those are a active breed .. fun

catlessgoatman

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love all dogs. Before I used to have all small dogs except for Kaluah and Lola. But they were mostly my sisters dogs she didnt want. I like big dogs the best. But Also like small dogs.

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
BIG DOGS RULE!

I love big dogs, the bigger the better. Those are the kind of dogs that make you feel protected.

Someone who breaks into your house and attacks you can just kick a chihuahua at a wall. A german shepherd/mastiff/St. Bernard on the otherhand can give a person a run for their money.

Plus they are so much fun to cuddle with!!!! I love them so much! Great Danes are my favorite though.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I my dad and I have five dogs and my uncle next door has two more dogs so on the property we have a total of 7 dogs. Well three of them are large dogs and I love all three of them. Their names are Lady a 10 year old border collie shep mix and she's my oldest girl she actually saved me from a chow one day, Lucky a big goofy lab boxer mix she's 5, and Macy a fullblooded boxer and she's my big mush she's a year old.
Then there's our small dogs Tiny who was supposed to be my dog but she choose my dad she's a chiuhauha and she is a yapper and is 8 years old, and then we have the rat terriers Bubba who is also 8, Bubba Jr who is 7 and Lilly who is 2 and will be three by about either feb or march.

And I love all three of them the same but you can do different things with all of them. Lady can't really play anymore because she has arthritis but she used to be a hard working farm dog. Lucky would make a good hunting dog but she mostly is just a big mush except with small animals I don't trust her. Macy you can do anything to that dog and she will still wag her tail at you and try to give you kisses and love you. Tiny is our barker and she thinks she's the size of our house and bites our big dogs but she can be oh so sweet. Bubba and Jr are both very sweet dogs and they love petting. Lilly is my little monster she will chew up anything that doesn't chew her up first. But she is like a little heater at night and is so loving. So I guess I like them both.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a tough one.. I love my large dogs.. My rottis,, but I've been wanting a yorkie soo bad!!!

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have both big dogs and a small dog. I have to say while I love both, small dogs are so much easier. They can be taken with you in the car, and while traveling so much easier than a large dog can.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always like large dogs, but lately small ones are growing on me. Yorkies are just so cute! As are Japanese Chins, a teacher at school has one that comes in with her everyday. He was a puppymill rescue and is very very sick at about 9 years old.

Anyways, I love Irish Wolfhounds and Great Pyrenees. Cane Corsos are cool too, I know of a guy who breeds them along with some major rescue work he does.

My favorite breed though I think would have to be a black Chow Chow. They are gorgeous!

Of course when the day comes and I finally have room and money for a dog, I will be going to the pound and rescuing the dog that picks me. I can't wait for that day.

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I prefer medium dogs for my lifestyle (my husband and I hike and I birdwatch in the woods), but my heart melts when I see Shih Tzus (sp?), the short terriers, and Pugs! There are advantages and disadvantages for each category. You should just weigh the pros and cons honestly, talk to people who own dogs of either size, and contact breed rescues or clubs and ask about it.

One thing I like about my pit bull is that he's a nice 40ish pounds -- he's sturdy enough we can hike rugged trails with him. Although he's a worthless guard dog
, he's large and muscular enough that anyone would think twice about breaking into my house or attacking me out in the woods. He's great fun to play with and I don't have to worry about him if he bumps into a tree, etc. He's built like a tank

My terrier mix was only 16 pounds. She was a lot easier to clean up after and was a great little watchdog. My husband, she, and I could all be on the couch at the same time without being crowded. She was less expensive to feed and medicate. Her toys, collars, and bedding were less expensive than my pit bull's. We really had to watch her because she loved to jump but had no fear of heights.

Good luck with your decision!