Which would you rather have

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild

I absolutely hate small dogs
Me too, though I think it might be because people where I live in Montreal don't bother training their little dogs.
I was walking Nunuk (115 lbs) on leash and he was bitten by an off leash Chihuahua whose owner thought it cute, I'm sure it wouldn't have been cute or acceptable if it was my dog doing the biting.

ohnoaninfp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I cant stand small dogs. They are kinda annoying and they are easy to trip over. I like big dogs. You can go running with them. I always wanted an Irish Setter. Border Collies are awesome too.

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I always preferred larger dogs. My childhood dogs were a lab-setter mix, probably about 70#, and a collie-lab-who-know-what-else mix who looked like a giganormous 100# Australian Shepherd.

My husband, on the other hand, grew up with a Pekingese and a Peke-a-poo. He always liked small dogs. When we were looking into getting a dog, I wanted a greyhound, but he wanted something much smaller. Since we have a small yard and a small house, we ended up with a dog that couldn't be more opposite from a greyhound. One has long legs, a long nose and short hair, the other... not so much.

I still love big dogs, but I enjoy owning a small one. Food and medication costs a lot less. Poops are way smaller. He doesn't take up much space. My husband, the dog, and I can all lay on the couch together and watch tv.

Beavis isn't a delicate little foofy dog. He looks it, but that guy is pure muscle. His nickname is Beefcake. He dives into creeks like he thinks he's a lab. He's a great jogging buddy. He loves hiking. He's a maniac when playing with his toys. And during quiet moments, he rubs up against you and snuggles just like a cat.

The only problem with owning a small fluffy dog is that I've lost my priviledge to make fun of people who own small fluffy dogs.
I've realized it wasn't small dogs I didn't like, it was their often high maintenance, Paris Hilton-esque owners.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had alwasy owned big dogs growing up. Huskies, shepherds, collies, (my grandparents did, anyway) And so I alwasy considereed anything under 20 lbs to be a rat.. until my freind got a chihuahua. Then I wanted a small dog, I'm not sure why even.

Right now I have Apollo, a 90 lb bouvier des flandres mix, and Mia, a 28lb Mexican Hairless. She's still on the smaller side for me, as I still prefer the larger dogs.. Such as Great Danes, Doberan Pinschers, Dogue de bordeaux (
) etc etc.. but I wouldn't turn down a small dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

We had alwasy owned big dogs growing up. Huskies, shepherds, collies, (my grandparents did, anyway) And so I alwasy considereed anything under 20 lbs to be a rat.. until my freind got a chihuahua. Then I wanted a small dog, I'm not sure why even.

Right now I have Apollo, a 90 lb bouvier des flandres mix, and Mia, a 28lb Mexican Hairless. She's still on the smaller side for me, as I still prefer the larger dogs.. Such as Great Danes, Doberan Pinschers, Dogue de bordeaux (
) etc etc.. but I wouldn't turn down a small dog.
I have always wanted a Dogue de bordeaux but never gotten the chance to. That's what Hooch was on Turner and Hooch

snuzy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a relatively big 60 pound gorgeous mutt. (died 2 years ago at 14) And now have a small 19 pound gorgeous mutt. Both blond with beards. Can't help it. I'm just attracted to bearded blonds (except for DH who has dark hair and no beard). I'd say our big dog had the sweeter temperament, but I wouldn't give up little Cam even though he's the scariest dog in the neighborhood. He hates other dogs, while the big German shepherd acrosss the street is a pussycat. Wouldn't mind getting another big dog though if we could find one like our old AJ.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I rather prefer medium to large dogs, and I LOVE Boxers (our all-time baby was Fritz, an 88 lb. Boxer who moved with us from the U.S. to Germany
). We had a Beagle when I was a kid, and he was the smallest of all our dogs. My family, or my husband and myself, have had several large Airedales, Labrador Retrievers, Boxers, German Shepherds, St. Bernhards (hubby and I also had a mix of the latter two), Viszlas, a Great Dane, a Newfoundland, a Dalmatian, and a Golden Retriever.
If our jobs allowed it, I would get another Boxer in a minute. They're great with people, especially kids. The only "negatives" I've experienced with them are their tendency to fight with other dogs, and to jump any fences under 6 to 7 feet (tip: don't do Agility with a Boxer, unless you want to chase him/her all over the neighborhood).

erinandseamus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

I would never have such a small dog, though. I'd be afraid of stepping on the dog.
Growing up we had a sheltie. After he passed away my mom decided she wanted a non shedding breed. So they got their first Malti-Poo. He dies after getting bit by a rattlesnake. So they got their second Malti-Poo. She was playing with him in the yard and stepped on him and killed him. Mom was a wreck for months. But they decided to try a third time and got a regular Maltese. Third time's the charm, he's fine, but she has him paper trained in the house and refuses to let him in the back yard now.

We have a Shiba Inu. She's small, but not toy sized. She weighs about 25lbs. I think it's just right for us. She's sturdy, but it's easy to pick her up and travel with her. It's cheaper to fly with a smaller dog too, when she goes with us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I rather prefer medium to large dogs, and I LOVE Boxers (our all-time baby was Fritz, an 88 lb. Boxer who moved with us from the U.S. to Germany
). We had a Beagle when I was a kid, and he was the smallest of all our dogs. My family, or my husband and myself, have had several large Airedales, Labrador Retrievers, Boxers, German Shepherds, St. Bernhards (hubby and I also had a mix of the latter two), Viszlas, a Great Dane, a Newfoundland, a Dalmatian, and a Golden Retriever.
If our jobs allowed it, I would get another Boxer in a minute. They're great with people, especially kids. The only "negatives" I've experienced with them are their tendency to fight with other dogs, and to jump any fences under 6 to 7 feet (tip: don't do Agility with a Boxer, unless you want to chase him/her all over the neighborhood).
Wow I never knew that boxers had a tendency to fight with other dogs. We have a boxer mix plus my sisters full boxer here and we have my old border collie and my dad's chi and my rat terrier and Macy is the biggest baby ever. She runs from the chi. The only problem we have had with Macy is that she never runs to the side of the yard to stay out of the mud like Lilly does and she always runs straight to our beds with mud on her feet. And she thinks she is a lap dog and jumps on the bed and lands on top of you in the middle of the night.

punkygirl0101

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We only have small dogs, since we had horrible experience with a large husky mix that killed two of our smaller dogs. I love big dogs, and I really want a great dane, or an anatolian shepherd when I live on my own.

Curently we have 7 dachshunds (miniature and standard), 1 dachshund mix, 1 rat terrier/chihuahua mix (5 pounds), 1 jack russel terrier/rat terrier/chihuahua mix (8 pounds), 1 cocker spaniel/chi mix (9 pounds), and 1 chihuahua (When we got her she was very thin!! We rescued her off the streets, she weighed 1.3 pounds, now she is up to 2.3 pounds.
)

I love small dogs, people saying they can't stand small dogs, have you ever owned them? (Its kind of like a punch in the face when people say they dislike an animal I love
)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've had cockers and beagles (plus a couple of mixed breeds) that were on the medium side. Not sure I could handle a large breed like niece's Great Dane (Morpheus - or as I call him, "Moose").

Originally Posted by Lorina

I've realized it wasn't small dogs I didn't like, it was their often high maintenance, Paris Hilton-esque owners.
I'm afraid my opinions of small/toy dogs are due to their owners. We had an elderly couple next door who always had small dogs (chihuahuas and pekingnese) and they were the yappy kind. Whenever my cocker Rex and I would walk by on my way to my grandparents, the dogs would run at the fence and yap. Rex seemed so embarassed to admit they were fellow dogs. The peke turned out to be a decent chap. Butch (yes, that was his name) once tried to share his rubber rat with me.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

Wow I never knew that boxers had a tendency to fight with other dogs. We have a boxer mix plus my sisters full boxer here and we have my old border collie and my dad's chi and my rat terrier and Macy is the biggest baby ever. She runs from the chi. The only problem we have had with Macy is that she never runs to the side of the yard to stay out of the mud like Lilly does and she always runs straight to our beds with mud on her feet. And she thinks she is a lap dog and jumps on the bed and lands on top of you in the middle of the night.
I didn't know Boxers were "known" for fighting with other dogs until we had our first. He was great with the other family dogs, but horrible with "strange" dogs. We joined a Boxer club when we moved here, and when I related that we were having trouble with Fritz attacking other dogs, the reaction was, "Well, he's a Boxer!" I was sort of shocked, because he was so tolerant - no less than three kids learned to walk by pulling themselves up and leaning on him, and he was great with our cat and rodents. My sister is encountering the same problem with the Boxer she has now (her second) - great with people, and the other family pets (three cats, another dog, two iguanas, and several chinchillas), but in "attack mode" with other dogs.
What Boxer isn't a lap dog? I got my hair cut this evening, and my hairdresser has a 3 1/2 month old Boxer, who is an incredible baby. She was a little bit sceptical about getting a medium-sized dog, but her (new) husband really wanted a Boxer,as he grew up with them, and now she's hooked, despite the fact that "Alex" is systematically destroying their home, and insists on sleeping in bed with them and sitting on their laps.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh. Our Boxer is wonderful with other dogs, and many of the people on my Boxer forums take their Boxers to doggie daycare, off leash dog parks, etc. Any problems seem to crop up in teenage hood (and Boxers take 2 years to mature physically, 3-4 mentally
), and when they are quickly nipped in the bud, no problem. An improperly socialized puppy can be a problem too, if he hasn't been exposed to other dogs, then he doesn't learn how to behave with other dogs. I've come across statements that say that some other dogs don't like Boxers, due to their rough, overexuberant play, and the set of their eyes is believed to bother other dogs (makes them look like they are giving a "dominant stare").

despite the fact that "Alex" is systematically destroying their home, and insists on sleeping in bed with them and sitting on their laps.

I know you're going to think I'm a nut
, but this is a set up for problems in adolecence. Boxers are independent thinkers, as they were bred to be guardians of children (hence, being good with kids) and they will (like any dog, but probably with more stubborness
) try to establish themselves as the Alpha dog if no one else steps up. He should only be allowed to get in the bed when invited (as this is a higher place, reserved for the alpha dog
) and in their laps when invited. A book I've heard good reviews about is "Boxers for Dummies"
which addresses these things, so you can avoid the problems (house destroying too) you've talked about. Being such an energy filled, strong dog, training is really essential. Please don't take any of this wrong, I really just want your friends to end up with a Boxer they can enjoy.

And yes, my dog thinks she is a Yorkie
!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Punkygirl0101

I love small dogs, people saying they can't stand small dogs, have you ever owned them? (Its kind of like a punch in the face when people say they dislike an animal I love
)
I have to agree ... I was one till Gigi came into my life .... here is my view..

big dogs are real dogs

little dogs are babies that never grow up

lorina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As much as I love my little dog, we had a Scottish Deerhound in at the vet's office today that I'm totally in love with. They're similar to Irish Wolfhounds, but a teensy bit smaller and finer boned, like a shaggy greyhound.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Large dog!!! I can't stand small dogs for the most part (bad experiences with them)

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well right now there wouldn't be enough room here for a big dog. I love them all but I would rather have a small dog right now. I think it would fit into our family better and I wouldn't be as paranoid about them eating my birds for lunch.
My last dog was a dachsund mix and I would like to get another. Maybe a yorkie, cocker spaniel or a pomeranian(sp).

Or just a cute little mutt.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Huh. Our Boxer is wonderful with other dogs, and many of the people on my Boxer forums take their Boxers to doggie daycare, off leash dog parks, etc. Any problems seem to crop up in teenage hood (and Boxers take 2 years to mature physically, 3-4 mentally
), and when they are quickly nipped in the bud, no problem. An improperly socialized puppy can be a problem too, if he hasn't been exposed to other dogs, then he doesn't learn how to behave with other dogs. I've come across statements that say that some other dogs don't like Boxers, due to their rough, overexuberant play, and the set of their eyes is believed to bother other dogs (makes them look like they are giving a "dominant stare").

I know you're going to think I'm a nut
, but this is a set up for problems in adolecence. Boxers are independent thinkers, as they were bred to be guardians of children (hence, being good with kids) and they will (like any dog, but probably with more stubborness
) try to establish themselves as the Alpha dog if no one else steps up. He should only be allowed to get in the bed when invited (as this is a higher place, reserved for the alpha dog
) and in their laps when invited. A book I've heard good reviews about is "Boxers for Dummies"
which addresses these things, so you can avoid the problems (house destroying too) you've talked about. Being such an energy filled, strong dog, training is really essential. Please don't take any of this wrong, I really just want your friends to end up with a Boxer they can enjoy.

And yes, my dog thinks she is a Yorkie
!
Our Boxer was an adult (from a shelter) when we got him, and the problems started after he was attacked and badly injured by another dog when he was 5. He never trusted strange dogs after that, and we couldn't trust him with them. One time I was walking him in the woods, and a Lab came up, wagged his tail, laid down, and presented his belly and throat to Fritz. No problem, right? Fritz went for his throat.

My hairdresser is taking her dog to obedience school every Saturday, and has gotten some Boxer books, too. The destructiveness is part puppyhood, part Boxer trait, I think. As far as sleeping in bed - well, that's not something I like, not just because of the dominance issue, but also because of ticks (very bad around here, with lots of cases of Lyme's Disease). Laps, okay, but what do you do when the puppy grows into a huge Great Dane, e.g., and still tries to fit on your lap? My sister's Dane (RB) used to do his darndest to "fit".