Which would you rather have

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A large dog or a small dog? We have both and I am a bit torn between them but what I do know is that I absolutely have fallen inlove with boxers they are the most incredible dogs so sweet and loving. But my rat terrier is also very sweet they are big dogs in little bodies. But they still have terrier attitude. And like I said I am torn between the two. So I think I will always have two dogs and with any luck maybe get to have a couple more cats in my life. Well soon anyway.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Boxer might be a little too much dog for your Rat Terrier- I would suggest an adult rescue if possible for you, so the dogs can meet first. A Boxer puppy or a dog under 3 may be a little too exuberant for such a small dog, but since I am a fairly new Boxer owner myself, I would suggest joining a Boxer forum and ask what they think, and what kind of dogs they have with their Boxers.
Our Boxer plays well with puppies, but she is also pretty laid back for a Boxer-LOL! I have noticed that several Boxer owners also have Boston Terriers, but I don't know their situations
. Mattie is our first Boxer, after having a Cardigan Corgi for 14 yrs- it was a toss up which we were going to get. We finally decided to get whichever came up first (from rescue, etc. since we wanted an adult) and Mattie showed up first. She is a wonderful dog!

If you like the idea of "Big dog, little body" a male Cardigan might be a good dog for you. They are just that, about 35 lbs (more or less), personalities alot like the Boxer( it was really funny reading the personality descriptions-they look so different, but are so much alike in their brains!), but more of a people pleaser (therefore, easier to train!
), and much easier to pick up when needed
. Good luck with your deciding!

(If you want my Boxer forum address, I can pm it to you
)

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like large dogs the best. But I do have 2 26 pounders. After I couldnt carry mu big dog Mariah out to the car to bring her to be put to sleep and Stan wouldnt help me (my mom and dad came over) I swore I would never have another big dog ever. Because I felt so helpless not being able to move her. So I got Jada and fell for her. Both my dogs have a big dog look. And most people think they are about 50-60 lbs when they just see their pics. So I love that.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of each
... Big dogs are DOGS .. little dogs are babies with fur

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve always liked owning big and fostering small, but if we decide to get a second dog I would not mind getting a smaller dog if we met one we liked that would be a good match for our family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had my sister's boxer for a year now. And we took her when she was a small puppy. And at first they were good playing buddies. But now Macy is just so much bigger than Lilly. I guess the good thing is that Macy is so gentle with Lilly the only time we have to really watch Macy is if they are trying to play with the rope toys because where as Macy is just barely tugging Lilly is on the couch, Macy on the floor, and Lilly is giving it all she's got and Macy just pulls her whole body off the couch and then Lilly gets mad and does that dominant grab of the skin, and she can only get ahold of Macy's lip because the rest of her is a big muscle. And then Lilly takes the toy and Macy is standing there like well what did I do.
So yes I think they are mismatched for playing but Macy tries so hard to be gentle with her. They have mixed identies though Macy thinks she is a lap dog and Lilly thinks she is a great dane.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have alway's had Basset Hounds, they are just Great all around dogs. I raised them for years and we have 1 female named Zoie who is 4 years old, I never cared alot for real big dogs but mostely I love them all

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh that's always a hard one. We've always had BIG dogs, and I have to say I just adore big dogs. I love them - they're so...well...doggy.

Having said that, I've met some little dogs with the most outrageously brilliant personalities! I always thought I'd like a small dog one day - apart from anything else, the level of destruction would be much less and that would be sooo nice! - but I can't see myself ever actually getting one. Physically and logistically small dogs might be easier but I adore the larger breeds. Well, I adore all dogs so that's a silly thing to say, but I'm more of a big dog person if I'm very honest with myself

(Besides - cats satisfy my need for the small things in life!)

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I realized how much of a big dog fan I've become when I considered Sam and Spike as medium sized dogs - they are 75 and 95 pounds respectively. They don't really look that big to me but then realized that most people would think that a 95 pound dog would be large.

There are times that I would like a smaller dog, around 50 pounds, but that is when Spike has his large butt on the sofa and I'm trying to move him to make room for my butt. He's not easy to move when he's sleeping!

My cats are my little ones. I don't need little dogs.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

I always thought I'd like a small dog one day - apart from anything else, the level of destruction would be much less and that would be sooo nice! -
Don't kid yourself on that I have a rat terrier. I think you have seen her on my siggy she's two years old, weighs 17 pounds and is the most distructive dog I have ever had, besides my pit mix I had and I honestly think its because they are terriers and bored and they seem to take longer about getting out of the puppy stage. And pits aren't all that big either if they are true American Pit Bull Terriers. But like my rattie they tend to suffer from seperation anxiety so they tend to be little demons when you are gone with your shoes and in Lilly's case anything she deams to need chewing up which thankfully at 2 almost 3 years old she has grown out of.

Originally Posted by Momofmany

I realized how much of a big dog fan I've become when I considered Sam and Spike as medium sized dogs - they are 75 and 95 pounds respectively. They don't really look that big to me but then realized that most people would think that a 95 pound dog would be large.

There are times that I would like a smaller dog, around 50 pounds, but that is when Spike has his large butt on the sofa and I'm trying to move him to make room for my butt. He's not easy to move when he's sleeping!

My cats are my little ones. I don't need little dogs.
What you said on the most would think that a 95 pound dog would be large kind of tickled me a bit my aunt thinks my 17 pound rat terrier is huge. Not sure what she would do if I took Macy the 67 pound, and growing boxer to see her.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

What you said on the most would think that a 95 pound dog would be large kind of tickled me a bit my aunt thinks my 17 pound rat terrier is huge. Not sure what she would do if I took Macy the 67 pound, and growing boxer to see her.
LOL! Yeah - people were terrified of my German Shepherds, they were 62kg (136lb) each, BIG, powerful dogs. Nobody could ever believe it when they found out what super-softies there were. They would have run from your rattie if it barked at them!

Check this out awwwww (and Sunday's a big cat, too!)

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh good grief! You said "Macy" and I realized that I am more of an idiot than I thought possible!
Apparently, I can't even remember people's names when they are written down in front of me

Well, I guess you know my vote goes for the medium dog (30-60 lbs). Big dog personality, liftable size!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a small dog now, Opie weighs about 16 pounds, and Sambo was a small dog too. Sambo only weighed about 13 pounds.

But one of my "grandpuppies is a big dog. Tootsie is a yellow lab that weighs about 70 pounds. The other "grandpuppy" is a medium dog. Bell is about 30 pounds.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Oh good grief! You said "Macy" and I realized that I am more of an idiot than I thought possible!
Apparently, I can't even remember people's names when they are written down in front of me

Well, I guess you know my vote goes for the medium dog (30-60 lbs). Big dog personality, liftable size!
Don't feel bad half the time I don't even remember what I am typing.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we ever got a dog and that's a big if, because I'm terrifed of big dogs.
It would have to be a small one, because when I was 5 years old the neighbors German Shepard decided he was going to try to rip off my leg and have it for lunch.

My Sister has a Jack Russell Terrier and a Tsu Shuie...I think that's spelled wrong...and I'm not scared of them at all.
In fact I could bring the Jack Russell home with me and keep him, he's such a sweet little man, but he's scared of cats so I don't think that would work!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer big dogs. I have 3 big dogs and a small dog (she's my mom's).. but I love them both, but big dogs are more my kinda dog. I don't like the yappiness of little dogs.. it drives me crazy.
so yeah, I love them both, but I prefer BIG dogs! and I say a dog under 20 lbs is a cat.
I would never have such a small dog, though. I'd be afraid of stepping on the dog.
I think Ginger (my mom's dog) would count for a real dog. she's 35 lbs.. so she isn't that small. she's kinda pudgey.
but I love her but I don't think I would personally choose a small dog.
we've always had big dogs and still do. Ginger is the only small dog we've really had.. besides Buddy a beagle/basset mix and Yogi his brother. (same breed) I don't find basset hounds to be small dogs, really. I count them as medium dogs.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had both - before I met/married my husband I owned mainly smaller dogs - terriers, beagle, sheltie.

My husband had all bigger dogs (except one toy poodle) - labs, or lab mixes and a wolf cross as a kid on the reservations.

Keno's a smaller lab - about 60-65 lbs - that's about as big of a dog that I would want.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Bichon Frise and although they are primarily small dogs, some are rather big small dogs. Mine is a big small dog. His Mother was, also. He's short, thick and sturdy. And he has this heavy, strong big dog bark.

I grew up with a Boxer, her name was Dutches (RIP) she was the most loveable and friendly dog, I will never forget her.

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a medium to large dog person myself. Not much for the smaller/toy varieties...that's what cats are for!!! I have a golden retriever that's quite the large moose, and a slightly smaller (yet moosey) chow/rott/lab mix. I'm also getting a basset in May or June, which are by no means small...they're considered a large breed on short legs. Love my kitties and doggies equally!

I would opt for a boxer...they are WONDERFUL, and extremely family-oriented. They will love you unconditionally, and like any dog, need to be trained appropriately. Big dogs can definitely live harmoniously with smaller pets...I am living proof of that!