When Will You Start Decorating For Christmas?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I usually have to do it on Thanksgiving (and we don't have Thanksgiving because of this), as the family usually can only get together with us on the day after Thanksgiving--we just do it as Christmas, so I cook, clean and decorate on Thanksgiving. DH and I go out afterward for Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant. I HATE having to decorate so early. I used to have a rule that I don't do Christmas until December 1st, or the closest Saturday after that (so I can start outside in the daylight). I love Fall, and hate to see it go an earlier than it has to! However, in the past few years, we've been able to do Christmas in December, even twice on the 25th. This year, we'll celebrate Christmas on the 23rd, which is fine by me.

I go for the elegant, simple approach. I like seeing over-the-top displays, but they aren't for me at home. I also loathe trimming the tree, and, even more, un-trimming the tree. Having cats is a great excuse for no ornaments. I just like a huge tree with many tiny clear lights and a star at the top. I do like a little bit of Christmas in each room, even the bathrooms--a sprig of real greens, a candle--something very simple. I always have a wreath indoors on my kitchen window, and on the front door. My favorite mantel decor is a bed of arborvitae greens, with simple, white chunky pillar candles in varying heights. If I get wild, I'll tuck in some glass ornaments in the greens.

I only have a real garland around the front door, and a real wreath. No lights. I have no patience with them, and we have no attractive shrubs to drape them on. I also don't like to ask DH to string them up. He's a busy guy, and I know he's not crazy about the lights, too.

I do do crazy decorating the dinner table. I have a theme each year. Last year, I did an Indian theme, a nod to my tiny bit of Anglo-Indian DN. The tablecloth is an old silk sari. I already had the peacock plates:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I need to start taking down all of the Fall decorations and will start decorating for Christmas.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
usually I start the weekend after thanksgiving. but since I won't be home much, busy with petsitting, I won't decorate this year

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The outside of my house is basically done. DH hung the lights on Thursday. The kids and I put everything else up yesterday.

DD put her tree up on Wednesday after cleaning her room well. Our big tree went up yesterday and I got the lights on it; but no decorations. I still need to get the fall things down around the kitchen.

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Today! I finally got my freakin' day off. Took an act of congress, but alas here it is.

I live in a small ghetto apartment and I am rather broke, and I don't host elaborate parties, but I love Xmas decorations. I decorate this closet door the same way every year.
I got my lights at work on clearance a few years ago for under $1. I got the stockings, ugly cat ornaments, and pretty glittery snowflakes at a Goodwill buy by the pound place for about $1, and later today or tomorrow I will go snip a couple branches off some kinda piney hedge in around neighborhood, which I will hang up to make my "tree".
I don't really get a lot of company, but it's super simple, cheap, and it makes *me* happy every year when I get it all up. :)

Also Alasdair and Tallulah are trying to help.
20181127_130143.jpg

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I decorate on Black Friday. Years ago, when money was tight, I would have to severely budget my holiday shopping. So, Black Friday would make me uncomfortable because even sale prices can't come before putting food on the table. Since I had decorations, it became the "free" thing that I could do to get ready for the holidays and cheer up about the money situation. At this point, it's just become habit and it's when I do it...so I'm finished decorating.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is the decorated "tree" we have at work:

You can't tell from the picture but besides the yellow hanging ball ornament on the lower right (which I had oddly found in the janitor's closet:headscratch:), the tree has a few strips of colored Eppendorf tubes stuck between the branches. I guess the "tree" was left behind when the previous company moved out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I like all your pictures! The umbrella tree is cute. So is the closet door.
kittypa kittypa I love the outside of your house! Love your front porch; I've always wanted a front porch.
margecat margecat Where did you get those gorgeous peacock plates?! They are beautiful!

We're going to hold off on decorating the living room tree until Saturday afternoon; neither Rick nor I want to decorate at night after work, so Saturday it is. That day is pretty much a wash-out anyway with rain. Rick is hoping to get back outside on Sunday for some decorating. And that will be pretty much it.

Then starts cookie baking. I'll bake on Sunday while Rick is outside.

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not into decorating this year.. just not in the spirit..

I will get out my nativity set-- it is a tradition. I need it out..
Besides that, I do not know.. I have bows I made several years ago, so I may just take those out and hang them around.

I can check the batteries in the candles and use those...

But that is about it..

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I like all your pictures! The umbrella tree is cute. So is the closet door.
kittypa kittypa I love the outside of your house! Love your front porch; I've always wanted a front porch.
margecat margecat Where did you get those gorgeous peacock plates?! They are beautiful!

We're going to hold off on decorating the living room tree until Saturday afternoon; neither Rick nor I want to decorate at night after work, so Saturday it is. That day is pretty much a wash-out anyway with rain. Rick is hoping to get back outside on Sunday for some decorating. And that will be pretty much it.

Then starts cookie baking. I'll bake on Sunday while Rick is outside.
They are Peacock Garden. I bought them at T.J. Maxx 2 years ago:

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty much decorated over the past week. I have a few things left, but it was mild last weekend in Southwestern Ontario, so the outside lights went out. I think I'm actually going to start to wrap some presents now. This is always my foe and I hate having a ton to do at the end.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We finished putting up the tree last night. We had just the tree and lights for a couple of days because this is Silas's first Yule. The rest of the cats leave it alone, but we were not sure how he would be. The first day was a bit rough. The second went well. Last night, we practically had to guard the tree; however, today, Silas has not seems all that interested. Maybe it is because we got him a new toy for distraction.

This is Silas and Simon "helping" with the lights by pretending to be gifts. (Silas is getting so big! He will be 5 months next week! His hair is finally really filling out after all the issues he had. It has changed color a bit, too!)

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, that black kitty, bottom right, looks like he's channeling demons.

:devilish:
He was so pissed off, he probably was channeling demons. But 2 minutes later he was on my lap cuddling, he's really forgiving. (a trait that comes in handy for nail trimmings too)