When Will You Start Decorating For Christmas?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I plan to start our Christmas decorating on Veterans Day weekend, basically just in the kitchen. I'll pack up everything in the kitchen that I know I won't be using until the end of February, give the kitchen a good cleaning, then bring out the Winterberry dishes and accessories. By that Monday night, the kitchen will be all decked out for Christmas (except for the TWT).

The Tacky White Tree will go up the weekend after that.

And then we will put up the living room tree and do the decorating in the rest of the house over Thanksgiving weekend. Christmas baking will start that weekend, too.

The cats will climb the trees. Amber loves to nap in the trees. She chooses a lower branch back in the very back of the tree, where she (thinks she) won't be seen and will spends hours in there sleeping away. They chew on the branches and knock ornaments off. We have a tradition.....the ornaments that the cats knock off the tree are not put back on the tree; we put them in a basket in the kitchen. By the end of the holidays, usually the bottom two feet of our tree are bare. We consider them "helping" us to take the tree down. The bottom two feet of the tree are decorated in plushies and those items that are cat-safe.

Do you decorate for the holidays? A lot or a little? When will you start? What will you do? Do your furkids leave your decorations alone?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cats, I haven't had any decorations in years. I could, if I wanted my tree knocked down with broken ornaments, snow globes busted, cats wrapped in lights and my singing snowman (sings snowmiser) with his twirling star and tilting hat..that's just asking for trouble.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do Halloween Oct 1 till Oct 31. Thanksgiving Nov1 till after Thanksgiving. The weekend after I put up Christmas and take it down Dec 26. I don't do as much anymore. Last year I got a smallish lighted tree. I put on plastic ornaments from Dollar Tree and some other cat proof ornaments. It did not look bad. Of course anything about 2 feet up became a cat toy.
I put lights outside and some lighted cats in front. I put them on a timer and I like coming home to see the lights

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right after Thanksgiving. Usually I try for the day after; unless I've got cleaning to do first.

I do try to have our lights on the house before Thanksgiving but I don't turn them on until after. It's just such a busy season and generally it is warmer in November than December. I don't know if we even have time for that this year though. It may have to wait.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably won't decorate. I live in a studio apartment and don't have a space for a tree. I don't plan on having anyone over, so it won't be a big deal if I don't decorate.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually after Thanksgiving but I don't really get into the "mood" until December 1st!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I put up very few decorations, and generally they don't go up till the weekend before Christmas. Sometimes I wait till Christmas Eve to decorate the tree.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I probably won't decorate. I live in a studio apartment and don't have a space for a tree. I don't plan on having anyone over, so it won't be a big deal if I don't decorate.
When our daughter was small, we didn't have any space for a tree, either. She wanted one, so we got some big green paper and cut out a tree, which we taped to the back of the front door. Then we all made paper snowflakes and ornaments and attached them to the tree. It looked pretty good. Our daughter was pleased that Santa would certainly see it. We told her he'd leave the gifts on the sofa, and sure enough, he did just that.

We don't do any decorating now, but I do design our holiday cards. We print them and away they go. They're usually a little weird. I had my second cataract surgery in December 2014. That year our card showed a snowman facing his stocking and saying, "Two lumps of coal!" The inside showed the front of the snowman with the coal for eyes. It said, "I can SEE!"

The mauls (sic) are all decorated for Christmas already. I hate that.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I decorate the day after Thanksgiving. Prior to Turkey day, I give the house a good cleaning because it is harder to clean once the decorations are up. I have specific decor for the kitchen, the bathroom and the living room. The bedrooms are minimal, holiday sheets and a few holiday things. This will be my first Christmas with Raja and Mizu. It really is the only thing that has worried me a little since I adopted them...so I've been "planning" on how I am going to do this since last February :D. I do not know how they will be with the decor but honestly, they're good cats. They will probably chew the lower portion of branches so I'm prepared for that. I plan on tying the tree to supports to decrease the possibility of it falling and they will be secluded to my bedroom during the day when they aren't supervised. Everyone works different hours here so it really is rare that it's an 8 hour stretch. I've bought them a new cat tree to hopefully give them something new and interesting to climb rather than the Christmas tree. My fingers are crossed. LOL

Pucks104

My boys!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s our first Christmas with Louie and Newman so I‘m not sure how it will go. We will probably put a tree up after Thanksgiving either that weekend or the next. It should be interesting!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
The day after Thanksgiving, when Christmas time starts.
Yes! The right time!

I would love a tree, even though I travel for Christmas. But not sure about the cats. I’ve only lived with cats the last 4 years or so, and I wouldn’t want them hurt or to break anything. I’ve been experimenting with wall mounted decorations and triangle bookshelves. Still finding the right balance.

Tacky, but I’m trying felt garland this year