When Will You Start Decorating For Christmas?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't do it at all. My home is also a place people come to for yoga and meditation. I think it's good that it's a 'Christmas-free' space for that.
I don't have anything against it.. I just don't want people to be reminded of all the stuff they need to do/buy/consider. :lol:

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We celebrate Yule/Winter Solstice, which gives us fewer days to get everything decorated and done. Typically, we put up our tree the first week of December. We have never had an issue with any of our cats getting into it; however, our new baby Silas is still in that phase of wanting to be in everything at once. Thankfully, he is pretty good at listening when I tell him no or otherwise indicate that he needs to stop what he is doing. We are, nevertheless, putting up the tree without decoration for about a week just to get his initial curiosity over with.

This is of our tree last year.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let me preface this by saying 2 things:
a. I'm Jewish and non-religious as they come
b. My husband is pretty much an atheist as well.

However....I find myself this year feeling like we NEED to have our home looking festive for the season. I actually saw a pair of girl and boy llama ornaments this weekend that I grabbed - my husband is a llama fanatic.

If anyone has links to places to get small, high quality trees and decor that might stock non-denominational type stuff I'd really appreciate it. More winter themed than Christmas would be wonderful. This year has been so difficult emotionally for many reasons all around so, what the heck, I feel like we should join in and do some celebrating.

I like the little blue tree @kashmir64 just posted! Where is that from?

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let me preface this by saying 2 things:
a. I'm Jewish and non-religious as they come
b. My husband is pretty much an atheist as well.

However....I find myself this year feeling like we NEED to have our home looking festive for the season.
I am an Atheistic Pagan Witch and my husband and children are atheists, but we all love decorating and watching Christmas movies! Our tree is winter themed with lots of snowflakes and owls. It is mostly white and clear, yet if you look, you can see a bit of color. Those are ornaments belonging to my children. I would hide them in the back, but they complain! (My children are and nearly 18.)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone in the apartment building next door already has their (presumably fake) Christmas tree set up in the corner of their living room :rolleyes: It's way too early for Christmas stuff :nono:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Someone in the apartment building next door already has their (presumably fake) Christmas tree set up in the corner of their living room :rolleyes: It's way too early for Christmas stuff :nono:
Some radio stations start playing the 24/7 Christmas music on 11/1. It's way too early. :eviltongue: :santa: :deer:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some radio stations start playing the 24/7 Christmas music on 11/1. It's way too early. :eviltongue: :santa: :deer:

That doesn't start here until the week before Thanksgiving:cringe: The grocery store across the street already already replaced the pumpkins and gourds with live small Christmas trees (fir? pine?) in pots for sale. I imagine the fresh cut trees :evergreen:will be delivered next week. I don't celebrate Christmas but I love the smell of fresh cut trees :D

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to wash the windows across the front of my house before we decorate. My husband hangs wreaths on the windows and the door. He turns spot lights on across the front of the house. Last Christmas, the spotlights accented the fact "the windows need washing." When that is finished we will start the outside decorating. We have some shrubs by each side of the railings down the steps. He has trimmed those up and wants to put lights on them too. Our side door gets a Christmas wreath.

Inside, our tree is in the living room. I usually decorate the mantle with lighted magnolia garland and angels across it. I have a burgundy net wreath in the shape of a cross, trimmed in gold, that hangs on the inside of the front door. It matches my leather furniture. I have Christmas spreads for the sofa and pillows.
That will do it for our house. None of the decorating will happen until after Thanksgiving is over.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bah humbug :eviltongue:
I can see December 1st or even the day after Thanksgiving but NOVEMBER 1st? Can we please get through Thanksgiving first? How could anyone- even the biggest fan of Christmas music NOT get burned out on it after hearing it for 2 full months?

They are putting holiday stuff out earlier and earlier these days. Who wants to guess when the Valentine's day stuff hits the shelves? I say mid December.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Probably early December. We try to get it done earlier but usually all our plans run late. We only do outdoor decorations. We have a pica cat. We tried to have a tree a few years ago and he was eating the lightbulbs. Then we went fiber optic and he was eating those too. We don't hang anything on the walls or use hooks- he'll eat them.

We still manage to feel cheery over the holidays. We still cook up a storm and play music (as long as we aren't already sick of hearing it from being out) and half the family is Jewish so we can do a decent Hanukkah with an electric Menorah that the cat doesn't try to eat.

Rhall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will start the week of Thanksgiving. That said I have 2 new kittens and not sure how the tree will go! I may set up the tree for a bit and see how it goes before I decorate it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish we could get through Thanksgiving before we have to start seeing all the Christmas stuff up.
I know. I aree. It's getting ridiculous. There were stores here that started putting the Christmas stuff out right after the Halloween stuff hit the shelves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Nice tree, Elphaba09 Elphaba09 ! Shane Kent Shane Kent I love how your wife made room for the cats. Great job!

We put the first decoration out in the kitchen last night. I bought a large holiday magnet for the front of the dishwasher; it pretty much takes up most of the door. Holiday bells. I got it at work yesterday and Rick wanted to see what it looked like, so he put it on the dishwasher. And we'll keep it there.

I have two favorite Christmas songs: the Christmas music by the Tran-Siberian Orchestra (awesome in concert!). And Snoopy's Christmas by the Royal Guardsmen. When the kids come up to do cookies, they always want to hear Snoopy's Christmas.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mother said she has been slowly bringing things out. She's also been going through her house to get rid of things.

I looked at the trees at Lowes this weekend. I found one I like the shape, size and color of; but it has those little tiny white lights on it. I am dedicated to my colored lights. I bought several strands of the GE lights that are more like the traditional incandescent shades of fairy lights. I'm probably one of the only people left who doesn't mind putting my own lights on the tree. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Holiday-Li...200-Constant-Warm-White-LED-Lights/1000273689

Aieko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I refuse to start decorating until December 10th. Every year people start decoration earlier and earlier, I went to Walmart to get a new shower curtain on October 31st, and low n' behold, the Halloween costumes were gone and what was there was...nothing...but...CHRISTMAS! It was everywhere, heck they were even playing Jingle Bells on the radio.