When Will You Start Decorating For Christmas?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I finally did some decorating last night, but only in my studio and on the front door. I looked at wreaths at the grocery store yesterday, but they were a bit dry, so I went cheap--I cut some aborvitae boughs from the backyard, layered them, and tied green tartan (MacKenzie tartan--leftover from my 2004 wedding) ribbon at the top of the swag, and tucked some red glass currant sprays (which I've had for about 18 years or so. I bought them to trim 1860's bonnets, but I no longer reenact). I stuck a small red and brown feather bird in the currants (another bonnet trimming!), and I love it. It was totally FREE, too! I think I may do this every year instead of a wreath.

I tucked the greens on the mantel, with white flameless pillar candles in the greens. I have an old mantel clock in the center, in front of a weathered grey wood-framed mirror. I also tucked in some red faux apples I had. Again, all FREE! I just painted the room Silver Bullet grey, by Behr paints, over the weekend, and the mirror really looks great against it, as does the greenery and "apples".

I just need to put up the tree, and trim the house inside with more arborvitae greens in the various rooms. I even do a bit in the three bathrooms--usually only a small silver julep cup with the arborviate on the sinks. I'm keeping it simple this year, which I like best.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today. I am more 'bah humbug' than festive, but I put a few things up. I also put up my old tree for the first time since getting Cheese. No ornaments on it, just the bare tree with lights. This is the experimentation year to see how she reacts to a tree. She's already tried nomming the ends of the lowest branches but was hastily reminded she isn't allowed to chew on things. The real test comes either tonight while I am asleep or tomorrow while I am at work. Hopefully the tree is still standing......with all the lower branches intact.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The main office has this tree:

It has wrapped candy canes as ornaments, ribbons, and small silver ball ornaments. The rest of the office is currently decorated with jingle bells, garlands, etc. Where I am, the lab location, we just have the tree.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than lights for the outdoor beautiful tree, how about throwing handfuls of birdseed on it? Then it will be decorated with birds and, probably, squirrels.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Rather than lights for the outdoor beautiful tree, how about throwing handfuls of birdseed on it? Then it will be decorated with birds and, probably, squirrels.
That's a nice idea, but the fir tree is in the middle of our cat enclosure. I'm caring for over 20 former feral and rescued cats so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to attract birds.

I do feed the let over cat food to the crows, but they're big enough to take care of themselves.

;)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm wondering if I should get some outdoor fairy lights for our fir tree....

View attachment 266233
My dad used to pick an evergreen tree in the woods by the house each year and put lights on it. I loved looking out into the woods at night and with everything dark around it, there would be one solitary tree shining and beautiful. I found it incredibly peaceful and spiritual.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad used to pick an evergreen tree in the woods by the house each year and put lights on it. I loved looking out into the woods at night and with everything dark around it, there would be one solitary tree shining and beautiful. I found it incredibly peaceful and spiritual.
sounds beautiful..

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Finally remembered to take a couple bits off a random neighborhood shrub today, so now I've got my "tree" and I'm finished decorating. :)
20181215_150943.jpg