What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Total was $120 for Gracie & Harlow's 4 week boosters. So $60 per cat, not too bad. Cheaper at one of those clinics they have like at Tractor Supply, but I would probably have to keep track of papers. I love how my vet keeps digital records for me. The vet decided to give them the shots inside the carriers & Gracie peed all over! It stunk so bad on the way home, but it wasn't too hard to clean. Wiped right out with Clorox wipes. Are those safe to use around cats?
Anything containing bleach,ammonia,formaldehyde and a host of other chemicals are toxic to pets,especially cats - even Lysol wipes contain phenols which can be extremely harmful to our cats- potentially causing liver damage

If anti- bacterial or disinfectant household products must be used to sanitize then be extra vigilant in rinsing well with water and letting surfaces dry completely before the kitties can come near it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea where it came from, as the only marking is a 14K on the inside. He spent part of the war, at least until his small ship was sunk, patrolling the Caribbean, and the two stones on the sides are sapphires, so it could have been made in Columbia, but that's just a guess.
I used to have many valuable collectibles and still possess few very sentimental things left by my parents- as a cancer survivor (& now again) my outlook on life has changed significantly...... like you,there's no one to leave these small treasures to .And sentiment? Well,that's ours alone so what good are these things that we leave behind?

If I were you I'd sell them and do something or buy something useful NOW while YOU can enjoy it.....my Dad always told me that if IT doesn't breathe and have a heartbeat it means nothing,if there's any possession you cannot let go of then it possesses you( Wise man)

Living in a Condo many years I've seen many here pass away and the relatives come to " clean out" the units- lifelong memories,keepsakes and trinkets all bagged up and thrown in the dumpster...very sad

Appraise &sell or give away to someone who can enjoy wearing the handsome ring or pocket watch- just my 2cents

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a dilemma over what to do with some of my possessions, left to me by departed relatives. We don't have any kids, and our nieces and nephews don't know we exist- unless they want something, that is.View attachment 471822
This ring, for instance, belonged to the uncle I was named for. It was among his personal effects sent back to his family after he was killed towards the end of WWII. The choices are sell it now, or leave it to someone who most likely will sell it once I'm gone. Nobody, it seems, is interested in the history behind items such as this any more.
The other item is a Hamilton railroad pocket watch. Again, no one is interested in the past. It was left to me by another uncle who spent over 40 years working for the railroad, but now.........?
I agree with iPappy iPappy that someone will be happy to have it and honestly any history you know of behind it may be appreciated as well (type it out and send it with the ring). Sell it and if you don’t need the money donate it to a rescue.

I still have my grandfather’s Singer sewing machine badges as well as some things my grandmother left. Sadly I was born far too late to truly know my grandparents, I don’t even remember grandpa except a sterling silver bracelet engraved with my name he gifted me and stories my parents have told. I wore my grandma’s school ring for years because I thought it was beautiful.

If I were you I'd sell them and do something or buy something useful NOW while YOU can enjoy it.....
Sometimes I feel like I’m just Kwik Kwik ’s doppelgänger lol I try to remember every day that if I’m not using something, may as well sell it to someone who wants it and save for emergencies/donate the money.

In my case, having multiple hoarders in the family affects you mentally after awhile lmao

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Total was $120 for Gracie & Harlow's 4 week boosters. So $60 per cat, not too bad. Cheaper at one of those clinics they have like at Tractor Supply, but I would probably have to keep track of papers. I love how my vet keeps digital records for me. The vet decided to give them the shots inside the carriers & Gracie peed all over! It stunk so bad on the way home, but it wasn't too hard to clean. Wiped right out with Clorox wipes. Are those safe to use around cats?
When I rescued maggie,3 months old,she went poo in her carrier after her first vet appointment. I gave her a good bath. I think the bath made her more affectionate

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate clutter, I want as few possessions as possible & prefer digital everything. So I wouldn't want to inherit a ton of physical stuff. It would be too much of a burden to me, especially with my OCD. I don't like old stuff that has been sitting around for years.

As for the wipes, I wouldn't use them if you have to wipe with water after. That would negate the whole point of using them!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate clutter, I want as few possessions as possible & prefer digital everything. So I wouldn't want to inherit a ton of physical stuff. It would be too much of a burden to me, especially with my OCD. I don't like old stuff that has been sitting around for years.

As for the wipes, I wouldn't use them if you have to wipe with water after. That would negate the whole point of using them!
I get what your saying but I'd you want something to disinfect first then they are useful( anti- bacterial) where as soap n water doesn't always do the job.... I do use clorox wipes for certain things but anywhere my cats can access I rinse and dry afterwards..... they do make " pet wipes' but even those you have to check the ingredients,what's safe for dogs isn't always safe for cats - better off using a hypoallergenic baby wipe type of product ( and a 3rd of the price too!)

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I rescued maggie,3 months old,she went poo in her carrier after her first vet appointment. I gave her a good bath. I think the bath made her more affectionate
Prancer has a habit of leaving a small- ahem- deposit in her carrier when we take her to the vet's, maybe because she's more high strung than the others. All the carriers are of a hard plastic, so cleaning is no big deal. In fact, all the carriers get a thorough cleaning after each use, 'deposits' or not.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have many valuable collectibles and still possess few very sentimental things left by my parents- as a cancer survivor (& now again) my outlook on life has changed significantly...... like you,there's no one to leave these small treasures to .And sentiment? Well,that's ours alone so what good are these things that we leave behind?

If I were you I'd sell them and do something or buy something useful NOW while YOU can enjoy it.....my Dad always told me that if IT doesn't breathe and have a heartbeat it means nothing,if there's any possession you cannot let go of then it possesses you( Wise man)

Living in a Condo many years I've seen many here pass away and the relatives come to " clean out" the units- lifelong memories,keepsakes and trinkets all bagged up and thrown in the dumpster...very sad

Appraise &sell or give away to someone who can enjoy wearing the handsome ring or pocket watch- just my 2cents
You talk about relatives 'cleaning out' someone's apartment and throwing out potentially valuable items; where I worked, at a salvage yard, we got guns from police 'buybacks' that were then sheared in half before coming to us. One such was a rare WWI rifle, made in Canada, that was worth several thousand dollars, given its condition. Whoever turned it in got $100. People rarely give any thought to possible value. More's the pity.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You talk about relatives 'cleaning out' someone's apartment and throwing out potentially valuable items; where I worked, at a salvage yard, we got guns from police 'buybacks' that were then sheared in half before coming to us. One such was a rare WWI rifle, made in Canada, that was worth several thousand dollars, given its condition. Whoever turned it in got $100. People rarely give any thought to possible value. More's the pity.
That’s insane. My grandma left some stuff that may be valuable but no one ever bothered getting it appraised. Then again with how cheap her husband was they’re probably counterfeit lol (I don’t consider either of grandma’s husbands to be my grandfather cause they were dirtbags, takes a lot to get a rep so bad a 10 year old can understand the random murmurs of horrible behavior)

We really do think alike on sooooo many things, it's really uncanny!Sometimes I'm relieved to know I'm not crazy after all,other times I think we're just both nuts- rofl
I had this talk with a coworker, went something like:
Her: Ya know I think I may be off my rocker at this point
Me: Yep, totally
Her: You’re not supposed to agree!
Me: I can be this direct because I’m insane too so it’s not an insult lmao

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s insane. My grandma left some stuff that may be valuable but no one ever bothered getting it appraised. Then again with how cheap her husband was they’re probably counterfeit lol (I don’t consider either of grandma’s husbands to be my grandfather cause they were dirtbags, takes a lot to get a rep so bad a 10 year old can understand the random murmurs of horrible behavior)

I had this talk with a coworker, went something like:
Her: Ya know I think I may be off my rocker at this point
Me: Yep, totally
Her: You’re not supposed to agree!
Me: I can be this direct because I’m insane too so it’s not an insult lmao
It gets better. At work, I was known as the 'gun guy' because I read so much about so many things that even if I didn't own one, I knew about them. A driver's grandfather passed, and he brought me three old single-shot rifles from the 1800s. His grandmother was going to sell them for $250 each, and he wanted to know if that was a fair price. I told him that I didn't know, but I knew a guy that specialized in U.S. military rifles, and to see him. The upshot? The next time I saw him, the driver gave me $20, as it turned out that the least valuable was worth $1750, while the most valuable one was worth over $2500. All told, she got over $5000 for the three.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to make a smoothe. I have 2 blenders totally different. I put the bottle in that goes upsidedown and couldn't get it to screw in so i unscrewed the top to make sure nothing was jamed. Forgot to put the top back on,turned it over,in the wrong blender again. Never got a smoothie this morning

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
one of those big plastic jars of planters cheese balls(after you've eaten them all) :lol:put a few holes into the lid buy some meal worms /super worms or crickets toss a few in cap the lid back onand walk away cats graycie gets all day fun easily pushing a clear plastic jar around trying to get any feeder insects i place in them😐atleast she did until gf couldnt take seeing bugs moving around no more and banned it:lol: do make sure its a screw on lid though
That is a great idea! No need to buy. I put a garbage bag in front. The roach crawled right in. Since they can't go backwards I assume

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and SIL have been talking about their dad's belongings and the eventual need to figure out what to do with them. It's hard because he is in his mid 80s and seems completely unrealistic in what he expects everyone to do. I am SUPER sentimental; but he's got a garage full of his brother's belongings and he died in 1992. We don't live locally and at this point in time both SIL and DH an I have kids at home for a good while yet. Retirement is even farther away. It's not that we don't care; but what can we realistically do? It's too far for weekend trips. It's not fair to expect SIL to handle it all. He's got it written into his will that his remaining brother cannot go into his house for the first month. Nevermind that he lives clear across the country. It's frustrating.

The more I understand what we are looking at; the more I appreciate my grandparents on my mom's side taking action by giving heirlooms away ahead of time. They even had me go through photo albums and pull out what I wanted. It was still a lot of work to get their house sold and cleared out; but it was a fraction of what my FIL has. My Dad and Aunt are going through that process with my other grandparents too; but again, the most important things were handled long ago. The last time I visited my FIL's house we couldn't go in. But there were 20' trees growing through where there is supposed to be a deck. :cringe: For several years the kitchen had no subfloor down. Yet the house is in a nice neighborhood... :sigh: Someone will probably flip it and make some nice money.
Wondering if they sell grippy socks for geriatric felines that have a hard time balancing on smooth surfaces.
I have small doormat size rugs for Mooch because her legs don't always stay under her at the food and water bowls. Even a towel works well if it's big enough. Hand towels are a bit small for the job.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wondering if they sell grippy socks for geriatric felines that have a hard time balancing on smooth surfaces.
Well, Amazon certainly sells a fairly wide array of socks for small dogs and cats, and they also sell this stuff,

1709689062402.png

so, I'm betting you could make your own!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
No,they don't consider it at all - penny wise and dollar foolish my friend- it is indeed such a pity!

They are so anxious to be "rid" of everything so they can either sell the unit or rent it out- looking for what they can profit and who knows ? They may have discarded something equal to a months rent!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to make a smoothe. I have 2 blenders totally different. I put the bottle in that goes upsidedown and couldn't get it to screw in so i unscrewed the top to make sure nothing was jamed. Forgot to put the top back on,turned it over,in the wrong blender again. Never got a smoothie this morning
One of those days- I get alot of those myself....that's when you just throw your hands in the air & get over to Smoothie King!I hope you get your Smoothie today