What's on Your Mind Thread - 2024

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ugh, my poor baby not only has an ear infection, she's cutting TWO molars according to the pediatrician today. It's like a recipe for maximum misery.

Mama didn't get a lot of sleep last night and even though it's nice and I should take the girls outside, we're just sitting here watching tv instead. Maybe tomorrow.
Poor kid. I hope she feels better soon. And I hope you get some rest and can enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
At one place where I worked, my toolboxes were near a window where a large spider had taken up residence. Every so often I would go outside and catch a cricket and toss it onto the spider's web for a little change in diet. The spider was about the size of a half-dollar, and would come charging out to nab his (its?) prey.
The only animal I fear is a skunk, because they are, at least in this area, the main carrier of rabies.
I am pretty terrified of spiders,never was until I was bitten by a brown recluse and nearly died-needed emergency surgery when I was rushed to the hospital delirious with a dangerously high fever- I didn't realize it was a bite ,though it was some type of boil & did the complete opposite of what should be done in that case....anyway,now I'm a scaredy cat of spiders- even a harmless daddy long legs🫢

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man - funny thing was I was delirious and had no recollection but the attending physician in the ER wanted to lance it and take a culture ,thinking it was Mersa- a surgeon who was looking in knew immediately it was a brown recluse bite and to prevent necrosis he did the cutterage or that misdiagnosis would've resulted in something awful..... Such a Blessing the surgeon was there

I'll make you laugh,my husband at the time came home and I was lying on the couch I said ' please check the chicken in the oven because I fell asleep' ,He said there's a raw chicken on the counter but that's it and he came to sit beside me suspecting something terribly wrong with me- he said " your burning up " I said ' no,it's the chicken in the oven"

When I came back to reality the nurses told me all I kept saying was ' I left the oven on ,somebody please check my chicken"????? Lol

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
N NY cat man - funny thing was I was delirious and had no recollection but the attending physician in the ER wanted to lance it and take a culture ,thinking it was Mersa- a surgeon who was looking in knew immediately it was a brown recluse bite and to prevent necrosis he did the cutterage or that misdiagnosis would've resulted in something awful..... Such a Blessing the surgeon was there

I'll make you laugh,my husband at the time came home and I was lying on the couch I said ' please check the chicken in the oven because I fell asleep' ,He said there's a raw chicken on the counter but that's it and he came to sit beside me suspecting something terribly wrong with me- he said " your burning up " I said ' no,it's the chicken in the oven"

When I came back to reality the nurses told me all I kept saying was ' I left the oven on ,somebody please check my chicken"????? Lol
I have encountered the random Black Widow spider from time to time, but not a brown recluse that I can recall. The spider that I fed was solid black, was about an inch and a half across, and had a funnel-shaped web, but I don't know what species it was. All I do know is that it never bothered me, and kept the fly population in check.

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am pretty terrified of spiders,never was until I was bitten by a brown recluse and nearly died-needed emergency surgery when I was rushed to the hospital delirious with a dangerously high fever- I didn't realize it was a bite ,though it was some type of boil & did the complete opposite of what should be done in that case....anyway,now I'm a scaredy cat of spiders- even a harmless daddy long legs🫢
My daddy got bit, twice, it was living under his tractor seat. Somehow my mom managed to treat it at home not sure how she managed 🥹

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a dilemma over what to do with some of my possessions, left to me by departed relatives. We don't have any kids, and our nieces and nephews don't know we exist- unless they want something, that is.
IMG_2508_kindlephoto-879585480.jpg

This ring, for instance, belonged to the uncle I was named for. It was among his personal effects sent back to his family after he was killed towards the end of WWII. The choices are sell it now, or leave it to someone who most likely will sell it once I'm gone. Nobody, it seems, is interested in the history behind items such as this any more.
The other item is a Hamilton railroad pocket watch. Again, no one is interested in the past. It was left to me by another uncle who spent over 40 years working for the railroad, but now.........?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a bit of a dilemma over what to do with some of my possessions, left to me by departed relatives. We don't have any kids, and our nieces and nephews don't know we exist- unless they want something, that is.View attachment 471822
This ring, for instance, belonged to the uncle I was named for. It was among his personal effects sent back to his family after he was killed towards the end of WWII. The choices are sell it now, or leave it to someone who most likely will sell it once I'm gone. Nobody, it seems, is interested in the history behind items such as this any more.
The other item is a Hamilton railroad pocket watch. Again, no one is interested in the past. It was left to me by another uncle who spent over 40 years working for the railroad, but now.........?
I can't help but think someone, even if they're not related, would appreciate those items .
I'll be in a similar situation at some point and it already bugs me on what to do with everything. 😔

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a bit of a dilemma over what to do with some of my possessions, left to me by departed relatives. We don't have any kids, and our nieces and nephews don't know we exist- unless they want something, that is.View attachment 471822
I hear you there. What truly interesting stories. Maybe If you wrote down the stories; as IPappy said, someone will be interested. Or you could do Antiques Roadshow. I bet too there are particular museums that would be interested. I’ve been doing this for the past 6 years since my parents passed— steamer trunks filled with ancient photos, autographs, 3 pocket watches (one with the hair braided in it of my great grandmother) stuff about Vernon and Irene Castle, etc. and the letters are astounding…reports from various relatives about the end of WW1 etc. I’ve managed to find good museums for most of these precious items. Nobody writes letters much anymore. That ring is lovely— I’m sure you will find it a good home.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hear you there. What truly interesting stories. Maybe If you wrote down the stories; as IPappy said, someone will be interested. Or you could do Antiques Roadshow. I bet too there are particular museums that would be interested. I’ve been doing this for the past 6 years since my parents passed— steamer trunks filled with ancient photos, autographs, 3 pocket watches (one with the hair braided in it of my great grandmother) stuff about Vernon and Irene Castle, etc. and the letters are astounding…reports from various relatives about the end of WW1 etc. I’ve managed to find good museums for most of these precious items. Nobody writes letters much anymore. That ring is lovely— I’m sure you will find it a good home.
I have no idea where it came from, as the only marking is a 14K on the inside. He spent part of the war, at least until his small ship was sunk, patrolling the Caribbean, and the two stones on the sides are sapphires, so it could have been made in Columbia, but that's just a guess.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Total was $120 for Gracie & Harlow's 4 week boosters. So $60 per cat, not too bad. Cheaper at one of those clinics they have like at Tractor Supply, but I would probably have to keep track of papers. I love how my vet keeps digital records for me. The vet decided to give them the shots inside the carriers & Gracie peed all over! It stunk so bad on the way home, but it wasn't too hard to clean. Wiped right out with Clorox wipes. Are those safe to use around cats?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One day I maybe faced with a similar decision. As I don't have any offspring. My non comunicatiive nephews from my younger brother don't seem to care about their Uncle & Aunt so why include them in any inheritance. My DW has a Nephew and Nieces so there's a possibility. Time will tell.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One day I maybe faced with a similar decision. As I don't have any offspring. My non comunicatiive nephews from my younger brother don't seem to care about their Uncle & Aunt so why include them in any inheritance. My DW has a Nephew and Nieces so there's a possibility. Time will tell.
My current plan is leaving the entire mess to a local charity I really like. Let them sell everything, cash in, and feed, house, and clothe the homeless. They'd appreciate it at least.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My current plan is leaving the entire mess to a local charity I really like. Let them sell everything, cash in, and feed, house, and clothe the homeless. They'd appreciate it at least.
Good Call. My DW nieces and nephew live abroad so getting them heirloom property could be difficult. Hopefully we will out live any practical value.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good Call. My DW nieces and nephew live abroad so getting them heirloom property could be difficult. Hopefully we will out live any practical value.
I've considered getting a few things appraised, but I would want the appraisers to come to the house. I would also want to use more than one (separately) and have a basic understanding of anythings potential worth. The last thing I want is for something of value being sold off for next to nothing so someone else can turn a massive profit, which I understand does occasionally happen.