What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
graycie seems to like these new pate's that i bought :lol:gonna hold off on buying any of these brands/flavors by the casefor now until i am positive she will eat them everytime i feed her:rolleyes:
It seems like they'll inhale a new food and the second we buy a big quantity of it, they decide they don't like it. :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About 6:00 I realized I couldn't find Sarah. I called, shook the treat bag, poured a few into her dish as loudly as I could, etc. The other cats were going crazy but she was nowhere to be found. I searched upstairs and didn't see her, and though the catio was open it was pouring and I figured she couldn't possibly be out there. After I searched the house some more, I finally went out into the rain and there she was, sitting in this down pour, staring at that birds nest. I must have surprised her, because when she saw me she ran inside, covered in rain water, and when she got inside she went to her bowl and started yelling at the top of her lungs for treaties. For being 15, she sure still has that hunting instinct!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch goes through stages where she eats one flavor like its the best thing ever. And then it becomes the absolute worst. Currently Fancy Feast Turkey Pate isn’t worth offering. But I’ve still got it waiting because one day she’ll be like “Why have you been holding this out on me?!” :rolleyes2:

Lately she demands crunchy treats on top too. :lol:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie seems to like these new pate's that i bought :lol:gonna hold off on buying any of these brands/flavors by the casefor now until i am positive she will eat them everytime i feed her:rolleyes:
You know what’ll happen - she’ll eat it every time until you buy a case! :evilgrin:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
gf just got home told me somthing i cant make sense out of :lol:said her shoes werent platform wedgies so the front of her feet hurt :dunno:
If you're serious and not just joking....
It's because heels force all your weight on your toes and the 'pad' just below your toes. Wedge shoes even out the weight on your feet and allow for better distribution of the amount of weight on your feet.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Frazzled. Travelling vet asked me to assist getting blood from Zorro. I’m terrible at this and again an epic fail. Zorro seems always to wrest his way out of my scruffing technique, I guess he knows I’m a wuss. Will have to try again with the 14 year old no nonsense assistant. At least he always forgives me.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a plant nursery that specializes in large trees yesterday, showed them my pics and asked how much an equivalent 25 yr, 18+ ft, tree would cost.…. $2000… just the tree.
Removal, stumping, and planting the new would be another $1800

When I asked them to evaluate the damage done to the tree, the quick verbal response based on my pics was, “about $1000, easily“

Our state law says that a person may trim overgrowth up to the property line as long as it does not damage the tree/plant in question. If the property line is crossed, or the tree is irreparably damaged, you can be held liable for up to triple the damages.

It is an oleander, which is a hardy tree, so it’s likely to bounce back in a couple years, but in the meantime, this is what we have…

07955A33-5B0F-46E8-952D-7903E5550572.jpeg

So the question is, do I pursue this?
I see a few options
1. Ask directly for compensation equivalent to actual damage. ($1000)
2. Sue for triple actual damage. ($3000)
3. Wait for the HOA to demand replacement, then sue for triple replacement damages. ($11.5k)

The third option would put us out of small claims court, requiring lawyers and court fees, so that would actually be more costly.

And of course all options will create more animosity with a person who plays the neighborhood political game much better than I.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a plant nursery that specializes in large trees yesterday, showed them my pics and asked how much an equivalent 25 yr, 18+ ft, tree would cost.…. $2000… just the tree.
Removal, stumping, and planting the new would be another $1800

When I asked them to evaluate the damage done to the tree, the quick verbal response based on my pics was, “about $1000, easily“

Our state law says that a person may trim overgrowth up to the property line as long as it does not damage the tree/plant in question. If the property line is crossed, or the tree is irreparably damaged, you can be held liable for up to triple the damages.

It is an oleander, which is a hardy tree, so it’s likely to bounce back in a couple years, but in the meantime, this is what we have…

View attachment 452262

So the question is, do I pursue this?
I see a few options
1. Ask directly for compensation equivalent to actual damage. ($1000)
2. Sue for triple actual damage. ($3000)
3. Wait for the HOA to demand replacement, then sue for triple replacement damages. ($11.5k)

The third option would put us out of small claims court, requiring lawyers and court fees, so that would actually be more costly.

And of course all options will create more animosity with a person who plays the neighborhood political game much better than I.
Well, if the tree is hardy my vote is do nothing, and wait for the tree to grow back. Perhaps vengeance is a dish best served cold, and yours will be that the tree will outlive your neighbor! What a lovely tree..they have sweet flowers, I believe?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're serious and not just joking....
It's because heels force all your weight on your toes and the 'pad' just below your toes. Wedge shoes even out the weight on your feet and allow for better distribution of the amount of weight on your feet. thx for the explanation womens fashion is just to complicated:lol: i can surprise her later with my wisdom i'll still give full credit to you though:biggrin:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I would not. However, you may want to look into having the tree replanted away from the property boundary. 😉🌳
I’m sorry, but this is a most absurd solution.
The tree is 20+ years old (it was there when we moved in 20 years ago), and a good 18+ feet tall.

Do you have any idea the expense it would be to uproot, dig a new hole somewhere else, and transplant it? There is a layer of caliche a mere 2-3 feet from the surface in our area. Caliche is like nature’s concrete, and it takes serious machinery to get past it.

My trees were put in long before they decided to put their pool in a couple years ago. They put their pool in with full knowledge that there was a flowering tree and a deciduous tree nearby.

Also, I have no control over winds, and this is a very windy area. The wind factor here makes their argument about debris in the pool completely moot. They are in for a rude awakening when they discover that they are going to be constantly cleaning their pool regardless, because of the winds.

Their decision to put in a pool and plastic grass should not then dictate what I am able to do with my yard. And legally, it doesn’t.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry, but this is a most absurd solution.
The tree is 20+ years old (it was there when we moved in 20 years ago), and a good 18+ feet tall.

Do you have any idea the expense it would be to uproot, dig a new hole somewhere else, and transplant it? There is a layer of caliche a mere 2-3 feet from the surface in our area. Caliche is like nature’s concrete, and it takes serious machinery to get past it.

My trees were put in long before they decided to put their pool in a couple years ago. They put their pool in with full knowledge that there was a flowering tree and a deciduous tree nearby.

Also, I have no control over winds, and this is a very windy area. The wind factor here makes their argument about debris in the pool completely moot. They are in for a rude awakening when they discover that they are going to be constantly cleaning their pool regardless, because of the winds.

Their decision to put in a pool and plastic grass should not then dictate what I am able to do with my yard. And legally, it doesn’t.
I went down the rabbit hole -as I know nothing about oleander- and (a random Google) says that most live to about 20 years. Hopefully yours will live much, much longer. It also says you can cultivate them from seed. Maybe you could collect some in case, to start indoors. It also says some oleander can be poisonous (probably you already know all this). I have also read of people getting cancer from plastic grass. None of this solves your possible legal battle, and I greatly admire your love of this tree. I just fear for your well-being and stress, getting involved in all that money and never ending paperwork. :hearthrob:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any idea the expense it would be to uproot, dig a new hole somewhere else, and transplant it?
~ Yes indeed. Expensive $ ! I have seen it done once or twice. One tree was for sentimental value and was actually relocated successfully. The other was done by the city. Amazing to see .
Best wishes ... 👍

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My flower beds have looked terrible all spring and I'm slowly getting them back to looking nice. I weeded one of the beds tonight...so many thistles! :sigh: Luckily I got the most of them out at the root by soaking them with the hose, first. I have one bed to go, as well as in front of the shed, and I'll be caught up.....for a week or so!

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our air is so filled with Canadian wildfire smoke today there is a gray haze that looks like fog and a burning rubber or plastic kind of smell. Really not pleasant being outdoors
I watched the 5pm news which said that the Twin Cities was experiencing unhealthy to hazardous air quality. Plus some of that smoke is heading my way tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.