What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I always feel like I have things more together if my floors are vacuumed and swept. I don't like things TOO "clean" for some reason though. DH never liked anything on display before and it just didn't feel nice at all. Very cold and sterile instead of comfortable and home-like. Of course that's because his father is the never throw anything away type; bordering on hoarding things like junk mail and who knows what. (I don't go in his house...)

We purchased some new cabinetry to make our school area tidy and functional and it's made a HUGE difference in how this part of the house looks. There's still things to go through; but now things have a place. I have a love of books; so they needed a home. Both my kids have proper bookshelves for their rooms now. We also got a nice tall pantry cabinet in the kitchen (basically the same area) and it looks wonderful. I can put some larger things in that that didn't fit in my other cabinet. Once our homeschooling days are over we can probably downsize several pieces. But for now it's made things more livable.

My cousin is kind of like DH in wanting her house more minimal. She's always been into organizing things. BUT she also grew up like DH with a parent who was a borderline hoarder. And now is from what I hear...again...we don't go there because of it. I know it's because my Aunt has always carried a ton of stress personally and professionally; but it really shaped my cousin to be the opposite. My old youth pastor is meticulous and likes nice things because he grew up very poor. It's more than just liking things one way; it's being shaped by your past. Its really not a bad thing either. Unless you turn to judging other people because they do different.

DH and I want to keep the bedrooms and main hall carpeted. The foyer is a vinyl plank and I don't love it; but it's better than carpet in there. Our house is semi-open and the builder put light gray carpet in the dining room. :disappointed: You can imagine how that has held up to little kids, cats and just foot traffic. If you come in the back door your stepping right on the carpet. (My kids know better when they are dirty or it's wet/snowing out!!) We have an encapsulated crawl space and the kitchen and bathroom floors stay ok in winter. Wood might be colder. DH and I don't really go barefoot in the house anymore because of some foot pain issues we've had before. But hopefully it would be ok. I'd probably put an area rug in the living room. But our kids aren't playing on the floor aged as much anymore anyway. I just want things to look nice and be easier to keep looking nice. I'm tired of getting on my knees and scrubbing spots with Shout and Cheesecloth. :lol: (A technique learned from my other cousin from that aunt :lol2:)

Area rugs made me nervous for my grandma when they got older and she'd had a couple strokes. She insisted on them of course. And they got the no slip things for under them; but that wasn't going to help if she wasn't picking up her feet well. After Gram went to a nursing home Grandpa got rid of them and it seemed easier for him walk safely on the hardwood because he could slide his feet. He had neuropathy in them and couldn't feel as well. They did have the Life Alert type system in the house and all; but still. He used to still go to the basement to do his laundry too! Neither were ever "sit still" kind of people. He made the decision to go to an assisted living before they had to resort to adding a laundry connection upstairs or anything. I'll always be grateful he had the presence of mind to make those decisions himself.
Between the kitchen and wood is a thick padding that m7 82 yr old mom has tripped on. I wish the carpet was back but that's how the leasing office wants it

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
wanting this week to move by fast ...i dont like doing things day after day , it wears me out and then i have to sleep it off ... too much for me to do ...tomorrow is my therapist appt and wednesday is my nurse appt .. just thinking about it makes me very tired

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
wanting this week to move by fast ...i dont like doing things day after day , it wears me out and then i have to sleep it off ... too much for me to do ...tomorrow is my therapist appt and wednesday is my nurse appt .. just thinking about it makes me very tired
Makes me think of my mom,caretaker for my dad who had a stroke and fell so besides cooking,laundry,cutting his meet,feeding him, giving him a shower,bathroom,etc every day then get dinner,groceries,take him and me to appointments,take me to work. She will not accept help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
~ My house needs refurbishment ... :sigh:
Mine gets "refurred" on a daily basis. I can scrape enough fur off of any given piece of furniture to reupholster a litter of kittens at any given moment.

I think I’ve encountered too many people who act like you live in squalor if you don’t clean like they do. They get superior about it.
I remember my landlady, just after she started here, doing an inspection, turning up her nose, and saying (while looking at the cat tree), "Oh, MY, there is a lot of cat hair on this!" I responded, "Well, it belongs to her. Cats know what is theirs by the scent. I don't mind, she doesn't mind, it isn't a fire hazard. We'll just have to live with it." She counted it against me. I wrote to the home office, and got a corrected inspection report, with no mention of cat hair. Nor did she every say anything about cat hair again.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I always feel like I have things more together if my floors are vacuumed and swept. I don't like things TOO "clean" for some reason though. DH never liked anything on display before and it just didn't feel nice at all. Very cold and sterile instead of comfortable and home-like. Of course that's because his father is the never throw anything away type; bordering on hoarding things like junk mail and who knows what. (I don't go in his house...)

We purchased some new cabinetry to make our school area tidy and functional and it's made a HUGE difference in how this part of the house looks. There's still things to go through; but now things have a place. I have a love of books; so they needed a home. Both my kids have proper bookshelves for their rooms now. We also got a nice tall pantry cabinet in the kitchen (basically the same area) and it looks wonderful. I can put some larger things in that that didn't fit in my other cabinet. Once our homeschooling days are over we can probably downsize several pieces. But for now it's made things more livable.

My cousin is kind of like DH in wanting her house more minimal. She's always been into organizing things. BUT she also grew up like DH with a parent who was a borderline hoarder. And now is from what I hear...again...we don't go there because of it. I know it's because my Aunt has always carried a ton of stress personally and professionally; but it really shaped my cousin to be the opposite. My old youth pastor is meticulous and likes nice things because he grew up very poor. It's more than just liking things one way; it's being shaped by your past. Its really not a bad thing either. Unless you turn to judging other people because they do different.

DH and I want to keep the bedrooms and main hall carpeted. The foyer is a vinyl plank and I don't love it; but it's better than carpet in there. Our house is semi-open and the builder put light gray carpet in the dining room. :disappointed: You can imagine how that has held up to little kids, cats and just foot traffic. If you come in the back door your stepping right on the carpet. (My kids know better when they are dirty or it's wet/snowing out!!) We have an encapsulated crawl space and the kitchen and bathroom floors stay ok in winter. Wood might be colder. DH and I don't really go barefoot in the house anymore because of some foot pain issues we've had before. But hopefully it would be ok. I'd probably put an area rug in the living room. But our kids aren't playing on the floor aged as much anymore anyway. I just want things to look nice and be easier to keep looking nice. I'm tired of getting on my knees and scrubbing spots with Shout and Cheesecloth. :lol: (A technique learned from my other cousin from that aunt :lol2:)

Area rugs made me nervous for my grandma when they got older and she'd had a couple strokes. She insisted on them of course. And they got the no slip things for under them; but that wasn't going to help if she wasn't picking up her feet well. After Gram went to a nursing home Grandpa got rid of them and it seemed easier for him walk safely on the hardwood because he could slide his feet. He had neuropathy in them and couldn't feel as well. They did have the Life Alert type system in the house and all; but still. He used to still go to the basement to do his laundry too! Neither were ever "sit still" kind of people. He made the decision to go to an assisted living before they had to resort to adding a laundry connection upstairs or anything. I'll always be grateful he had the presence of mind to make those decisions himself.
My mom is insisting but I'm with you on rugs!. My dad will not use any gadgets like cell phones,tablets,computerss,etc so my mom worries when he sneaks out the door. He has to have his cane. He fell walking down steps holding things in both hands.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a new back door on order. I feel for you there. I know its a good investment to get good ones…but still! :rolleyes2:
~ Yes indeed. However sometimes the job seems overwhelming — and hiring help around here is a real gamble.
Doors are important. I see very nice fiberglass doors. I likely will replace both front and back .
Will you be replacing the door yourself, or have a "professional" install it ?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
~ Yes indeed. However sometimes the job seems overwhelming — and hiring help around here is a real gamble.
Doors are important. I see very nice fiberglass doors. I likely will replace both front and back .
Will you be replacing the door yourself, or have a "professional" install it ?
We hired a company to install it. DH is good with some things; but if he has to take time off work for a project it doesn't always save us any money. Plus it's a big double size door. It looks like a french door but only one side opens. There is water damage so the company will fix any underlying damage also.

Last fall he hired someone to fix some old termite damage to the frame around our garage door before we had the house fumigated for beetles. The guy was a no-show. And it needed to be done before they fumigated; so it turned into a DIY project. Fortunately one of DH's friends is very knowledgeable. He's disabled from being able to do that kind of work himself; but he was able to instruct and do little things. My dad almost had to come from another state to help out!

I really do want the carpets replaced; but these things have had to come first. We were going to do the floors back when covid hit. It was a good thing we didn't though because we've had all this come up plus needing a whole new septic system in 2021. Enough is enough! It's all working out though. I'll get them eventually!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
why would anyone use uber or lyft? they are not realiable here and because of them i couldnt get to my appt at all
I have had good and bad luck with both but don't have much choice. I am asking friends if they know anyone retired who can help out. It's not the company that's at fault. It's the driver. Write the company about it and they will refund you

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a friend who lives in Vegas and her husband helped make ends meet with driving for one of them after he was laid off. That was probably an ideal place to have that job with all the tourists there.

I remember watching a sitcom and the family’s teens were taking an Uber instead of asking the parents to drive them somewhere. I don’t know if they have age requirements; but I can’t imagine letting my teen get in the car with a stranger like that.:dunno:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were on Phillip Island for our honeymoon, we got a ride from the island's only uber driver. I guess it would have been hard if anyone else had wanted to use one at the same time.

It's pretty easy to get an uber around here, especially leaving the airport. A bunch of drivers hang out over there because they know they'll pick up passengers.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wonder if that’s how they have things now around ports too. I’ve done 2 cruises with stops in Mexico and there were taxis just waiting at a the ports. It seems like they might just need to line up to leave with people but paying via an app might be easier.

Speaking of my door… its in early. We were told 4-6 months so I was expecting spring! Now I need to prep the area and move any furniture within 3 feet. At least I have a few weeks to do that. That should motivate me to finish moving Christmas stuff to the attic. I’ve been enjoying my lights around the kitchen but they’re in the way there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.