What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hoping that my appts with the nurse and therapist will give me a peace of mind and something to help me be less worked up ...everything is bothering me and making me a nervous wreck
I'm sorry. That anxiety hits hard, and goes in a loop over and over again and can be really hard to break out of. I hope you get some peace of mind, and soon. :hugs: :heartshape:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone use a Neti pot or bottle? I’m wondering if I need a better brand or different style.

I have just a Walmart brand bottle one. DH has been using a different brand bottle style for a few years now so I figured it was good enough. Maybe I just need more practice.

I will say; the almost head-rush high feeling of all that oxygen after being congested is wild and amazing at the same time when it does work! :paperbag: I think it I went round 2 with the cold germs. It’s not bad until I try to lay down and sleep. I can’t take decongestants so that’s not helping. I’m just tired and annoyed.:wink:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does anyone use a Neti pot or bottle? I’m wondering if I need a better brand or different style.

I have just a Walmart brand bottle one. DH has been using a different brand bottle style for a few years now so I figured it was good enough. Maybe I just need more practice.

I will say; the almost head-rush high feeling of all that oxygen after being congested is wild and amazing at the same time when it does work! :paperbag: I think it I went round 2 with the cold germs. It’s not bad until I try to lay down and sleep. I can’t take decongestants so that’s not helping. I’m just tired and annoyed.:wink:
I've never been brave enough to try one. 😟 Does it feel weird using one? I hope you get some sleep!
Speaking of sleep, without an alarm I slept 10 hours last night. Got up for 4, then slept for another 3. And I feel like I could do it all again. :lol:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never been brave enough to try one. 😟 Does it feel weird using one? I hope you get some sleep!
Speaking of sleep, without an alarm I slept 10 hours last night. Got up for 4, then slept for another 3. And I feel like I could do it all again. :lol:
Its a little weird but honestly the first time I tried it I was super congested and it worked so well I literally had a head rush from being able to breathe again.

I’m having trouble between snoring and a bit of throat inflammation with the congestion. I keep waking up snoring or feeling like I’m choking on my own throat. And I can see why sleep deprivation is a form of torture!:frustrated: I do feel improved today so hopefully tonight I will sleep soundly!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a little weird but honestly the first time I tried it I was super congested and it worked so well I literally had a head rush from being able to breathe again.

I’m having trouble between snoring and a bit of throat inflammation with the congestion. I keep waking up snoring or feeling like I’m choking on my own throat. And I can see why sleep deprivation is a form of torture!:frustrated: I do feel improved today so hopefully tonight I will sleep soundly!!
Sounds like sleep apnea. I had a sleep test to confirm. It makes you stop breathing at night. Then you snort and wake up. I sleep much better now with a mask,though I don't get conjested. It does make me drink tons of water from dry mouth from mask. Wish I could help more

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep having partial seizures and have to stop driving for 3 months. Just had another yesterday 4pm. It makes me very tired
Plus having sleep apnea and meds for a different sleep disorder I don't sleep enough my new years resolution is to sleep better!

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise

I have used a sinus rinse for many years. I have a deviated septum, diagnosed when an adult with many responsibilities-- so no surgery. My last PCP talked me into trying it, when I am ill. I am a believer.

I trusted my old PCP with everything.. I will say that I was fortunate to have her as a physician. She was a 'Best of Boston" doc for many years, with awesome reviews.. Now I am fortunate again, with my current PCP being considered another 'Best of Boston" PCP... I drive into Boston for medical care. The office has 6 physicians in it, along with a couple of nurses. I have access to emailing them, also.

I use the Nell Med Sinus rinse bottle. They have an instruction video on YouTube. I boil spring water for 5 minutes, allow it to cool, keep in a pan on the stove; as I use the water, I just refill pan, and boil. This way, I have it on demand.
When sick, I rinse twice a day. It is a weird feeling, situation, but it does help.

I measure out and put the sterilized water in the squeeze bottle-- not a real Neti Pot ( cannot get into that, as of yet). I put the bottle in my microwave for 25 seconds-- body temp.. add the powder saline packet, stand over the sink.. and Rinse...
Then disinfect the sink and counter with disinfectant spray. I wash the bottle out with hot hot water and Dawn soap; allowing it to air dry.

Weird, but so much junk comes out when you blow your nose, after the rinse. It does help. You may still have a sinus infection, but this keeps things loosened, and the junk comes out.

I really swear by it.
I dispose of the bottle after I am recovered. I always keep a new bottle and saline packets in the house, along with a gallon of spring water-- just for this.

I hope you try this out. Give it a chance. and I seriously hope you are feeling better. Whatever is going around.. not Covid, Not Flu, NOT RSV-- but what ever this virus is-- it is very very bad.

Yup, I am still sick.. going off of steroids on Monday, starting a new antibiotic today.. have a Telehealth medicine appointment on Monday-- doctor is all full of with appointments for the next 2 weeks.. If needed, I will go in later this week, to be seen by the medical director at the PCP office.. all to keep me out of the ER.. dam.. The PCP's nurse called me a couple times yesterday.. and I got a call in from the Pulmonologist Fellow, who will check in on me, next week. and an apology from the Staff Pulmonologist for not fully understanding what I was writing him about..
I was on one antibiotic for a bacterial infection, now I am going to try another, stronger one that does combat some viral bacterial infections..
I just cannot seem to shake the low grade fever, SOB on exertion.. restlessness (steroids rush).. cough-- which I have been told is long lasting.

I guess it pays to have "Roid Rage".....

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can’t take decongestants so that’s not helping. I’m just tired and annoyed.
I can't take decongestants (orally) as they make my hart race and give me the jitters...however, I have found that I can use a decongestant spray in small amounts when It's so bad that I can't breath to sleep. My trick is to only spray in one side of my nose...just enough to be able to breath, at least thru one side. I also only use them right before bed and that's it...I'll suffer thru congestion during the day. I know it still gets into my system thru my nasal passages, but it doesn't affect me the same way as oral ones. Just thought I'd put that out there incase you've never tried a spray.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if my weekly house cleaning habits are as weird as everyone says. I have been told that I deep/Spring/zone clean my entire house weekly and NO ONE does that. Apparently I am only supposed to throughly clean rooms in my house at certain times during the year and only do it once or twice per year. Ummm...?????

If I am going to clean bedrooms/living room every week, why wouldn't I clean the windows/frames/sills too??? Why wouldn't I clean the baseboards??? The ceiling fan??? The walls??? The stuff hanging on the walls??? All sides of the furniture, not just the tops and fronts???

Same with bathrooms. If I am going to clean the sink/tub/toilet, why wouldn't I clean the vanity, the floors and baseboards, the walls and items on the walls???

Kitchen... Appliances, floors, windows, cabinets, walls and stuff on them, baseboards, etc. Yep... cleaned throughly every week!!

And apparently people lose their minds that I clean all the doors in my house weekly too. :lol:

If your house is cleaned well every week, it isn't that dirty and isn't that hard to clean. I split the house up over a weekend and it only takes a few hours. Then I have the rest of the day to relax and do whatever I want. And of course I take little 10-15 breaks but I had no idea it was that strange to people. :lol:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if my weekly house cleaning habits are as weird as everyone says. I have been told that I deep/Spring/zone clean my entire house weekly and NO ONE does that. Apparently I am only supposed to throughly clean rooms in my house at certain times during the year and only do it once or twice per year. Ummm...?????

If I am going to clean bedrooms/living room every week, why wouldn't I clean the windows/frames/sills too??? Why wouldn't I clean the baseboards??? The ceiling fan??? The walls??? The stuff hanging on the walls??? All sides of the furniture, not just the tops and fronts???

Same with bathrooms. If I am going to clean the sink/tub/toilet, why wouldn't I clean the vanity, the floors and baseboards, the walls and items on the walls???

Kitchen... Appliances, floors, windows, cabinets, walls and stuff on them, baseboards, etc. Yep... cleaned throughly every week!!

And apparently people lose their minds that I clean all the doors in my house weekly too. :lol:

If your house is cleaned well every week, it isn't that dirty and isn't that hard to clean. I split the house up over a weekend and it only takes a few hours. Then I have the rest of the day to relax and do whatever I want. And of course I take little 10-15 breaks but I had no idea it was that strange to people. :lol:
If it works for you, do it! I think it’s much more important to have a routine where everything gets done at some point than the frequency of it really. I am sort of between weekly and seasonal myself. I need to do it often enough so that if someone is going to stop by I don’t have to do a mad dash to clean.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't take decongestants (orally) as they make my hart race and give me the jitters...however, I have found that I can use a decongestant spray in small amounts when It's so bad that I can't breath to sleep. My trick is to only spray in one side of my nose...just enough to be able to breath, at least thru one side. I also only use them right before bed and that's it...I'll suffer thru congestion during the day. I know it still gets into my system thru my nasal passages, but it doesn't affect me the same way as oral ones. Just thought I'd put that out there incase you've never tried a spray.
Have you tried Benadry. Although they say it’s for allergies, it does seem to work for colds as well plus it makes you sleepy so you rest better. Then there is good old Vicks. Hateful smell but it does clear your nose.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Benadry. Although they say it’s for allergies, it does seem to work for colds as well plus it makes you sleepy so you rest better. Then there is good old Vicks. Hateful smell but it does clear your nose.
Yes I do take Benadryl, it helps with post nasal drip. When I have cold, I do Benadryl and Ibuprofen, but if my congestion is bad from inflammation and the Ibuprofen isn't enough, then I do a quick shot of the nasal spray, just so I can fall asleep. If I can't breath but nothing comes out when I blow, then I know it's inflammation that's causing my congestion.
I love the smell of vicks... :)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I think it sounds awesome, and it's rewarding to always have a clean space to live in.
My Grandma knew a woman who would wake up early 7 days a week to "get the house in order" and that included things like baseboards, walls, and polishing light fixtures, all by hand. She said the house was immaculate.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do take Benadryl, it helps with post nasal drip. When I have cold, I do Benadryl and Ibuprofen, but if my congestion is bad from inflammation and the Ibuprofen isn't enough, then I do a quick shot of the nasal spray, just so I can fall asleep. If I can't breath but nothing comes out when I blow, then I know it's inflammation that's causing my congestion.
I love the smell of vicks... :)
An Old Wives Tale for congestion: rub some Vicks VapoRub on the soles of your feet, placing white socks on.. Sleep with this..
It did work when I tried it.. not as strong as on the chest.. But the fumes still bothered my asthma.. good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.