What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do take Benadryl, it helps with post nasal drip. When I have cold, I do Benadryl and Ibuprofen, but if my congestion is bad from inflammation and the Ibuprofen isn't enough, then I do a quick shot of the nasal spray, just so I can fall asleep. If I can't breath but nothing comes out when I blow, then I know it's inflammation that's causing my congestion.
I love the smell of vicks... :)
~ I use a saline sinus rinse twice a day. I add a few drops of eucalyptus oil . 🤧

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Woof! Catching up on 3 days off, one day on, then four days MORE w/ no electricity. (And that, friends, is why you stock up on firewood and supplies!). Hope all goes well for you, Game Misconduct! …I might turn the lights off…candlelight is sweet.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't take decongestants (orally) as they make my hart race and give me the jitters...however, I have found that I can use a decongestant spray in small amounts when It's so bad that I can't breath to sleep. My trick is to only spray in one side of my nose...just enough to be able to breath, at least thru one side. I also only use them right before bed and that's it...I'll suffer thru congestion during the day. I know it still gets into my system thru my nasal passages, but it doesn't affect me the same way as oral ones. Just thought I'd put that out there incase you've never tried a spray.
I do have some I can try. An ENT told me to get it for traveling because my ears pop so much. He said not to use it for more than 3 days because it can cause rebound congestion. Decongestants only recently started bothering me like this.

I am wondering if my weekly house cleaning habits are as weird as everyone says. I have been told that I deep/Spring/zone clean my entire house weekly and NO ONE does that. Apparently I am only supposed to throughly clean rooms in my house at certain times during the year and only do it once or twice per year. Ummm...?????

If I am going to clean bedrooms/living room every week, why wouldn't I clean the windows/frames/sills too??? Why wouldn't I clean the baseboards??? The ceiling fan??? The walls??? The stuff hanging on the walls??? All sides of the furniture, not just the tops and fronts???

Same with bathrooms. If I am going to clean the sink/tub/toilet, why wouldn't I clean the vanity, the floors and baseboards, the walls and items on the walls???

Kitchen... Appliances, floors, windows, cabinets, walls and stuff on them, baseboards, etc. Yep... cleaned throughly every week!!

And apparently people lose their minds that I clean all the doors in my house weekly too. :lol:

If your house is cleaned well every week, it isn't that dirty and isn't that hard to clean. I split the house up over a weekend and it only takes a few hours. Then I have the rest of the day to relax and do whatever I want. And of course I take little 10-15 breaks but I had no idea it was that strange to people. :lol:
I’ve seen whole Facebook reels dedicated to people cleaning everything cleanable. To each their own.
Have you tried Benadry. Although they say it’s for allergies, it does seem to work for colds as well plus it makes you sleepy so you rest better. Then there is good old Vicks. Hateful smell but it does clear your nose.
My kid’s pediatrician used to say Benadryl was ok at night when they had colds so they could dry up enough to rest. Under 4 you don’t get to use cold meds anymore. It knocks me out good so I only use that at night. My regular med has a drowsy warning so I’ve not tried it since starting that.

I was raised with Vicks though. DS and I were marinated in it over Christmas. :lol: I don’t mind the scent at all.

I did manage to clear my head and SLEEP last night! In fact I almost didn’t make it to my bed. DH had a hard time convincing me to get up this morning so we could drop his car off for an appointment. It was the most normal sleep I’ve had in weeks.:lol: I feel a lot better.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have some I can try. An ENT told me to get it for traveling because my ears pop so much. He said not to use it for more than 3 days because it can cause rebound congestion. Decongestants only recently started bothering me like this.

I’ve seen whole Facebook reels dedicated to people cleaning everything cleanable. To each their own.

My kid’s pediatrician used to say Benadryl was ok at night when they had colds so they could dry up enough to rest. Under 4 you don’t get to use cold meds anymore. It knocks me out good so I only use that at night. My regular med has a drowsy warning so I’ve not tried it since starting that.

I was raised with Vicks though. DS and I were marinated in it over Christmas. :lol: I don’t mind the scent at all.

I did manage to clear my head and SLEEP last night! In fact I almost didn’t make it to my bed. DH had a hard time convincing me to get up this morning so we could drop his car off for an appointment. It was the most normal sleep I’ve had in weeks.:lol: I feel a lot better.
I agree. Do what makes you happy. I was just surprised at how some people were almost rude about it towards me when we were talking. I have been on both sides. Before we redid our entire house, the house was still tidy but cleaning, vacuuming, and dusting weren't high up on my list because I felt like it was just "polishing a turd". After the upgrades, something switched in my head and cleaning became enjoyable.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree. Do what makes you happy. I was just surprised at how some people were almost rude about it towards me when we were talking. I have been on both sides. Before we redid our entire house, the house was still tidy but cleaning, vacuuming, and dusting weren't high up on my list because I felt like it was just "polishing a turd". After the upgrades, something switched in my head and cleaning became enjoyable.
IDK why anyone would find it necessary to be rude to someone who enjoys cleaning and living in a clean house, unless they're jealous.
I *love* the feeling of a clean house! When everything is clean, organized, and in it's place it just "feels" good to be there. I have trouble finding the motivation to actually do it though. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IDK why anyone would find it necessary to be rude to someone who enjoys cleaning and living in a clean house, unless they're jealous.
I *love* the feeling of a clean house! When everything is clean, organized, and in it's place it just "feels" good to be there. I have trouble finding the motivation to actually do it though. :lol:
I wish I enjoyed cleaning, lol. I'm not good at it on a good day, but with the toddler, it's impossible. I was putting her duplos in the container last night and she looked at me, picked it up, and dumped it back out. :lol:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wish I enjoyed cleaning, lol. I'm not good at it on a good day, but with the toddler, it's impossible. I was putting her duplos in the container last night and she looked at me, picked it up, and dumped it back out. :lol:
Just from where I'm sitting I see 10 toys Livie has drug out this morning, and have taken 2 cat toys and one sock out of her mouth, and it's not even noon. I can't imagine life with a toddler, but at least they keep things interesting!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I’ve encountered too many people who act like you live in squalor if you don’t clean like they do. They get superior about it. Never mind the fact that for some people its a trauma response to have to clean like that. Other people probably get insecure because they are comparing themselves. I guess I see a similar parallel between home and public school parents. One way doesn’t make you better or worse as long as you’re taking care of your family.

I actually read in an older book where the author basically said they could tell how together a persons life was based on if their drawers were organized or not.:nono: I’ll just say anyone who has the audacity to look in someones drawers and judge them for it isn’t welcome in my house.:headshake:

I can understand the polishing a turd thought. My light gray carpets need to be replaced so now when something spills or the cat throws up it’s not like when we first moved in and I berated myself for spilling a little oj. I mean I clean it; but its just never enough to make them look good. I’m not sure what I’m going to do when we finally get to have new flooring put in someday.
Cleaning while your children are awake is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos.
:agree:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once I start, the motivation just comes. I just tell myself, the sooner I start, the sooner it will be done and I can enjoy the rest of my day relaxing.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If my kids did that, first they'd get "the look" and would have to clean it back up. If they had the nerve to do it a second time, they soon regretted it.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I’ve encountered too many people who act like you live in squalor if you don’t clean like they do. They get superior about it. Never mind the fact that for some people its a trauma response to have to clean like that. Other people probably get insecure because they are comparing themselves. I guess I see a similar parallel between home and public school parents. One way doesn’t make you better or worse as long as you’re taking care of your family.

I actually read in an older book where the author basically said they could tell how together a persons life was based on if their drawers were organized or not.:nono: I’ll just say anyone who has the audacity to look in someones drawers and judge them for it isn’t welcome in my house.:headshake:

I can understand the polishing a turd thought. My light gray carpets need to be replaced so now when something spills or the cat throws up it’s not like when we first moved in and I berated myself for spilling a little oj. I mean I clean it; but its just never enough to make them look good. I’m not sure what I’m going to do when we finally get to have new flooring put in someday.

Cleaning while your children are awake is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos.
:agree:
My cleaning is definitely caused by how I felt back when cleaning wasn't important to me. I was in a very bad place mentally. I never want to go back to that state of mind so I make sure that at least home is my happy place. Can't do anything about work for another two years when I can leave after 30 years with a nice pension. Then we can move to the mountains, buy a log cabin, and live how WE want to live.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. We have hardwood (and a couple area rugs in the front room/my husband's office) and it makes cleaning up cat puke in general a lot easier. I do like having the carpet upstairs in the bedrooms, though. It seems cozier.
Only thing I don't like about hard wood floors is if you trip or fall. I have to be more careful when working out. I don't want rugs . It will be a pain to move when I clean

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always feel like I have things more together if my floors are vacuumed and swept. I don't like things TOO "clean" for some reason though. DH never liked anything on display before and it just didn't feel nice at all. Very cold and sterile instead of comfortable and home-like. Of course that's because his father is the never throw anything away type; bordering on hoarding things like junk mail and who knows what. (I don't go in his house...)

We purchased some new cabinetry to make our school area tidy and functional and it's made a HUGE difference in how this part of the house looks. There's still things to go through; but now things have a place. I have a love of books; so they needed a home. Both my kids have proper bookshelves for their rooms now. We also got a nice tall pantry cabinet in the kitchen (basically the same area) and it looks wonderful. I can put some larger things in that that didn't fit in my other cabinet. Once our homeschooling days are over we can probably downsize several pieces. But for now it's made things more livable.

My cousin is kind of like DH in wanting her house more minimal. She's always been into organizing things. BUT she also grew up like DH with a parent who was a borderline hoarder. And now is from what I hear...again...we don't go there because of it. I know it's because my Aunt has always carried a ton of stress personally and professionally; but it really shaped my cousin to be the opposite. My old youth pastor is meticulous and likes nice things because he grew up very poor. It's more than just liking things one way; it's being shaped by your past. Its really not a bad thing either. Unless you turn to judging other people because they do different.
Are you absolutely sure (not knowing your living situation or if it is a necessity) that you need new carpets? i ask only bc/ it is so freeing to have no carpets entirely, only hardwood floors.
DH and I want to keep the bedrooms and main hall carpeted. The foyer is a vinyl plank and I don't love it; but it's better than carpet in there. Our house is semi-open and the builder put light gray carpet in the dining room. :disappointed: You can imagine how that has held up to little kids, cats and just foot traffic. If you come in the back door your stepping right on the carpet. (My kids know better when they are dirty or it's wet/snowing out!!) We have an encapsulated crawl space and the kitchen and bathroom floors stay ok in winter. Wood might be colder. DH and I don't really go barefoot in the house anymore because of some foot pain issues we've had before. But hopefully it would be ok. I'd probably put an area rug in the living room. But our kids aren't playing on the floor aged as much anymore anyway. I just want things to look nice and be easier to keep looking nice. I'm tired of getting on my knees and scrubbing spots with Shout and Cheesecloth. :lol: (A technique learned from my other cousin from that aunt :lol2:)
Only thing I don't like about hard wood floors is if you trip or fall. I have to be more careful when working out. I don't want rugs . It will be a pain to move when I clean
Area rugs made me nervous for my grandma when they got older and she'd had a couple strokes. She insisted on them of course. And they got the no slip things for under them; but that wasn't going to help if she wasn't picking up her feet well. After Gram went to a nursing home Grandpa got rid of them and it seemed easier for him walk safely on the hardwood because he could slide his feet. He had neuropathy in them and couldn't feel as well. They did have the Life Alert type system in the house and all; but still. He used to still go to the basement to do his laundry too! Neither were ever "sit still" kind of people. He made the decision to go to an assisted living before they had to resort to adding a laundry connection upstairs or anything. I'll always be grateful he had the presence of mind to make those decisions himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.