What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
He was at Gettysburg and Franlin that I know of ,diary states this.Plus he was good at taking prisoners.Was almost taken prisoner too,someone he served with saved him from that shooting the soldier in the back.The 2 that were killed,Both were killed at the battle of Antetiam.One took a bullet to the head and other shot in the chest.Both were not good soldiers.I have been to gettysburg,this was 2 years ago
If you have his Regiment and service dates, which is likely, then you can find online histories of that Regiment Including the battles they fought in. Add in your ancestors service dates and that should tell you where he fought. Another excellent source is his Civil War Pension application and records which you can order online. I have a number of Civil War Ancestors and ordered their records. You find out interesting stuff, like one of mine was docked for a screwdriver when he mustered out.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have his Regiment and service dates, which is likely, then you can find online histories of that Regiment Including the battles they fought in. Add in your ancestors service dates and that should tell you where he fought. Another excellent source is his Civil War Pension application and records which you can order online. I have a number of Civil War Ancestors and ordered their records. You find out interesting stuff, like one of mine was docked for a screwdriver when he mustered out.
I have all of that.He moved regiment to regiment.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I may be turning into my mother. My favorite, most often used, frying pan sadly developed the peeling and scratches of old age and after a search I just found an exact replacement. But I am having trouble tossing the old in the trash! It’s been sitting on the counter for a day while I have an argument with myself on whether I should keep it “just in case”.
In Japan they have, or used to have, a superstition about household objects developing a soul after they'd been used for long enough. You couldn't just throw things out without thanking them for their service. With dolls and things they even have a Shinto service for them. They have to be blessed by the priest and then cremated. I hear they do a special one for old Aibo too

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
In Japan they have, or used to have, a superstition about household objects developing a soul after they'd been used for long enough. You couldn't just throw things out without thanking them for their service. With dolls and things they even have a Shinto service for them. They have to be blessed by the priest and then cremated. I hear they do a special one for old Aibo too
Uncanny. I am staring at my mom’s wooden salad bowl. It’s got a crack in the edge, needs sanding, but I can’t seem to toss it, just remembering all the great salads…not sure I can locate a Shinto priest!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really like that. I tend to murmur "Farewell, thou good and faithful servant!" to household things before I let them go. Same sort of thing!

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Things are going good.Seen my dad,he had a partial knee replacement on Tuesday.Son is still doing good,had his nails done yesterday picking out a blue color.Had the toe nails done too.Said no regrets seeing what girls go through.He also met my LGBT friends last night and are encouraging him to be himself.We had a meet up,he talked to a couple of them that are crossdressers.Told them about when he went to the female friend's house trying on her clothes.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Back indoors after yet another hour long major snow cleanup. The same wet heavy yucky snow we have had all winter and this may sound silly, but it felt like spring out there. Psychological probably because I know it’s close but it was the first time this year that I actually enjoyed being out there.

Just checked snow totals this winter for my area - 78 inches so far this winter. No wonder we have all been complaining about snow!

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meanwhile we haven’t had more than one heavy flurry back at Christmas. (I’ve loved it but I won’t gloat! Its just that its made getting the kids to their activities so much easier!!)

Weve had some days feel more spring like than others. It was 52 and sunny the other day and it felt warmer than some days when its hit 60. I think the temperature of the breeze was just colder or something.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What’s it called when you need a snack to hold you over while you cook? Not hangry but snackitizer or something like that?

I guess the time change, weather and busy Saturday caught up to me because I missed lunch and it’s dinner time but no one else is hungry. Now I’m trying to be patient waiting for water to boil for pasta without getting into too much else. Proper food instead of snacks. 😩

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What’s it called when you need a snack to hold you over while you cook? Not hangry but snackitizer or something like that?

I guess the time change, weather and busy Saturday caught up to me because I missed lunch and it’s dinner time but no one else is hungry. Now I’m trying to be patient waiting for water to boil for pasta without getting into too much else. Proper food instead of snacks. 😩
An appetizer :yummy:

My baby turned 28 today. Where has the time gone? It feels like just yesterday she WAS a baby. She's doing great and I'm so proud. Lily and I were snuggling last night and I realized it was just past midnight. I asked her if she wanted to say happy birthday to sister. She usually hates it when I put the phone up near her but she sat so pretty for her big sister.

1678665636038.png

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back indoors after yet another hour long major snow cleanup. The same wet heavy yucky snow we have had all winter and this may sound silly, but it felt like spring out there. Psychological probably because I know it’s close but it was the first time this year that I actually enjoyed being out there.

Just checked snow totals this winter for my area - 78 inches so far this winter. No wonder we have all been complaining about snow!
Lucky you. Here, the average snowfall is about 95 inches; this year, it is almost 130", and we still have nearly two months to go, as it is not unusual to get snow into May.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not sure, but I know there's a thing called chop&pop. It's when you pop bits of vegetables, fruit or whatever else you're chopping up for dinner into your mouth to keep you going as you cook.

I'm really happy that we had record low amounts of snow this year. I usually get totally snowed in for a couple for days every winter, but not this time.

Mr Husband is not happy that he hasn't been able to snowboard as much as he usually does though. He's had a couple of weekends away in Nagano, but usually he can snowboard more on the mountains here.

1676101256810.jpg

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure, but I know there's a thing called chop&pop. It's when you pop bits of vegetables, fruit or whatever else you're chopping up for dinner into your mouth to keep you going as you cook.
Oh I call that quality control. :lol: Its especially important when baking chocolate chip cookies.:agree: And pasta salad!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found some new curtains for my living room at Walmart the other day. They are the Mainstays brand so they were $13! I figured I’d add the liners I found on Amazon like I did for my bedroom curtains. Ugh…they don’t have them in white anymore. And they are more than twice the price of the curtains! :lol: So much for my cheap and simple update! I don’t have time to sew them like I did for my dining room/kitchen curtains. Oh well. No rush I guess. At least the room will look a little refreshed for spring.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My son's first day of seeing a girl goes through at school went good and learning very well.Lot of the female student came up to him and his friends whom are also doing did thank them for what they are doing.Son said he was glad I stopped one male student from slapping his butt.Also had one student come in and complain.Had his car towed,found out he is one of those sovereign citizens with no plate on the car.Told him not my problem,was his

Status
Not open for further replies.