What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, I am left wondering what, if anything, people are thinking about. I had to run an errand this morning, and as it was only a mile or so away, I decided to walk. I was crossing an intersection, with the light in my favor, when I was almost mowed over by some guy in a pickup with a plow on the front. I had seen him waiting to make a left turn, and when there was a gap, he stood on the gas..........and stopped about two feet from me. I was halfway across with nowhere to go. Needless to say, I made some rude gestures in his direction; but I doubt they will have any meaningful effect.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Going through more letters from home an ancestor of mine got.He was a Civil War veteran,fought for the union.He survived it and I have his rifle,an 1861 Springfield he used which is worth a lot of money including his letters from home,his diary and uniform.Also a couple more that fought for the Confederates that were killed in battle

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going through more letters from home an ancestor of mine got.He was a Civil War veteran,fought for the union.He survived it and I have his rifle,an 1861 Springfield he used which is worth a lot of money including his letters from home,his diary and uniform.Also a couple more that fought for the Confederates that were killed in battle
By all means, keep all of that stuff together, as it is more valuable as a collection than as individual pieces. For example, 1861 Springfield rifle-muskets were produced by the tens of thousands, and while an anonymous example is worth 'x' dollars; another in similar condition, where the owner and his service history is known is worth 'x+' dollars. It's all about provenance.
My paternal 3x great grandfather served in the Revolutionary War, but the only thing of his surviving is the land warrant, issued in 1796, for 100 acres of land that he took up in Western NY. His grandson, my great grandfather, also served in the Civil War, but all we have there is his record of enlistment and discharge. If he ever wrote any letters, I have never seen them.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By all means, keep all of that stuff together, as it is more valuable as a collection than as individual pieces. For example, 1861 Springfield rifle-muskets were produced by the tens of thousands, and while an anonymous example is worth 'x' dollars; another in similar condition, where the owner and his service history is known is worth 'x+' dollars. It's all about provenance.
My paternal 3x great grandfather served in the Revolutionary War, but the only thing of his surviving is the land warrant, issued in 1796, for 100 acres of land that he took up in Western NY. His grandson, my great grandfather, also served in the Civil War, but all we have there is his record of enlistment and discharge. If he ever wrote any letters, I have never seen them.
Keeping it together and I do visit his grave every veteran's day putting a penny on his grave stone

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know which battles they were in? Knowing as much as you can about them provides “provenance.” Though of course the value is just knowing this happened. Very humbling. Recommend going to Gettysburg, if you have not been.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you know which battles they were in? Knowing as much as you can about them provides “provenance.” Though of course the value is just knowing this happened. Very humbling. Recommend going to Gettysburg, if you have not been.
He was at Gettysburg and Franlin that I know of ,diary states this.Plus he was good at taking prisoners.Was almost taken prisoner too,someone he served with saved him from that shooting the soldier in the back.The 2 that were killed,Both were killed at the battle of Antetiam.One took a bullet to the head and other shot in the chest.Both were not good soldiers.I have been to gettysburg,this was 2 years ago

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's Mom's dog :lol: She has to do this every week because he develops knots easily. We do think he has trouble seeing if his face fur gets too long.
My SIL always posts updates after her yorkipoo gets a haircut. He's a sweet little dog but I still can't imagine having a dog that gets more professional haircuts than I do. :lol: I say that as someone who REALLY REALLY REALLY wants a Golden Retriever. :lol:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
My SIL always posts updates after her yorkipoo gets a haircut. He's a sweet little dog but I still can't imagine having a dog that gets more professional haircuts than I do. :lol: I say that as someone who REALLY REALLY REALLY wants a Golden Retriever. :lol:
I think like all dogs they need baths and brushing but not the kind of haircuts that shaggy dogs need.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think like all dogs they need baths and brushing but not the kind of haircuts that shaggy dogs need.
Yes I think mostly just regular brushing because they do have longer fur. I’m used to labs so it will probably be a change. I never helped with grooming my aunt and uncle’s goldens. We’ve got a couple pet stores locally with “self-serve” bathing stations. So that should help. I think it will be fun to have a dog that can go places with us too.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's Mom's dog :lol: She has to do this every week because he develops knots easily. We do think he has trouble seeing if his face fur gets too long.
As a groomer who sees a lot of matted up doodles, tell your Mom I said THANK YOU! It's such a pleasure working with a dog with a well maintained coat. I groom two super thick fleece coated doodles (litter mates) that are well maintained and so well trained. They are both a huge job for me, but they're such a joy to work on.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You and me both. I absolutely love Golden Retrievers, and a Golden with a true Golden temperament is a complete joy to be around.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My son started today to see what girls go through this morning.Said getting ready takes a little bit more time.Has not complained at all yet.Told him he is getting used to it.He wanted to start today and told him he looked good.Have an appointment at a nail salon at 10:00 for him to get his nails done.Also some shopping with him too

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I may be turning into my mother. My favorite, most often used, frying pan sadly developed the peeling and scratches of old age and after a search I just found an exact replacement. But I am having trouble tossing the old in the trash! It’s been sitting on the counter for a day while I have an argument with myself on whether I should keep it “just in case”.

Status
Not open for further replies.