What's on your Mind Thread - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pets hate being woken up but it's perfectly fine to wake their humans up at any time. Lilith has never woken me up. Is it because she's more considerate? Of course not. This is just more proof of how smart she is. She assigned that job to Sophie when they moved in. Sophie takes this job very seriously. She will either smack me with her paw and yell or stand on my back and screech in my face while her sister sits back and enjoys the show.
Lila will crawl up on my chest and tuck her feet under her and wait. When I wake up, she has this squinty little look on her face and doesn't flinch when I startle. It's creepy! :lol:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pets hate being woken up but it's perfectly fine to wake their humans up at any time. Lilith has never woken me up. Is it because she's more considerate? Of course not. This is just more proof of how smart she is. She assigned that job to Sophie when they moved in. Sophie takes this job very seriously. She will either smack me with her paw and yell or stand on my back and screech in my face while her sister sits back and enjoys the show.
:flail:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I’m glad to know its not that normal to upgrade your wedding sets repeatedly. Bands make more logical sense to me but the engagement rings surprise me. I was just curious if I was the odd one on this.
I haven't seen the "wedding sets over time" pictures, thankfully. We were 23 when we got engaged and not long out of college. My set isn't the biggest and best because we didn't have that kind of money at the time. I'm not changing it. If I did it wouldn't be the same ring we picked out together. Most of our friends got married when they were a bit older so their sets are more extravagant than mine. We were out with a few couples last night and one of the woman clearly got her set redone recently and it isn't the first time. It's a bit over the top now with her engagement ring being at least five graduated in size square cut diamonds with the center one being at least 2 carats. I don't even wear my set around the house as I don't want to damage it while cleaning, gardening, etc. I'd rather go on a trip somewhere.
One of my friends said she knocked her center stone off doing laundry several times. They ended up redoing her ring. Not wanting to damage my rings was part of why I stopped wearing them all the time when my kids were babies. And then I couldn’t get either ring on.

I knew a lady who let me try on her 2nd ring after their financial situation had changed dramatically. I don’t remember the exact carat; but it was celebrity size for sure. I’m way too sentimental to want to give up my original ring.:dunno:

I think our sets were more extravagant for us back then before we had real bills and responsibilities.:lol: Its not large by today’s standards either. I guess a number of friends are in 2nd marriages and that could be a big difference in rings too. Maybe some of those ladies are showing sets from multiple marriages?:crazy:
I have seen people get a second set for a big anniversary...usually because they couldn't afford the set of their dreams at the time of their wedding or it's too small...and sometimes it's just because they like jewelry and all the extra bling. But multiple sets over time does seem excessive, at least from my practical and budget conscious mind.
I love my wedding set, and would never get a replacement. It's wonderfully sparkly yet practical with the stones being set with a low profile. Big stones, high set stones and thick wide bands look ridiculous on my long skinny fingers.
These are mine and hubby's rings...
View attachment 444030
They look comfortable to me. My wedding band is similar but in yellow gold. We had a few friends say that it was supposed to be an anniversary band but it’s not like there’s written rules. :lol: I guess I thought it would be worn forever so we got what we liked. And maybe they still will get back on my hand.
There seems to be a certain subset of women who are firm believers in upgrades to their set. I can see adding another band for a milestone anniversary (I probably wouldn't myself, but I can see doing it), but multiple upgrades seems weird to me. I love my set, though.

Technically, my set isn't 100% original because when I was pregnant with J, I tripped and hit my hand into the wall and knocked a prong out of the way. So we sent my engagement ring off to the makers to fix, and they reshaped it because it had gone more oval than circular at the time, and may have replaced the prong idk. But close enough.
My ring had to be repaired several times. Once we found a crack in a prong but the others I had either side stones or channel set ones get loose. That’s why they suggested ordering my wedding band in the size wanted it so it wouldn’t need resizing. I’ve had no issues with it. I actually got it a half size larger than my engagement ring in case my hands changed. They (and the rest of me) changed way more than I could have thought they would. :rolleyes2: I also don’t see myself wearing 3 rings on one finger. I used to wear rings on 5 different fingers but that got impractical with little kids to care for. I guess now that they are big I’m rediscovering my love of jewelry and almost nothing but my mothers ring fits.:rolleyes2:

I had DD try on the ring my mom and stepdad gave me on my 16th birthday (my stepdad believes a girls first diamond and rose should come from her dad). Her fingers are already bigger than mine were as a teen even though shes way taller and thinner overall. I thought I’d pass it on to her someday. Not without sizing I guess! She may not like it anyway. Its a very small stone surrounded by white gold to look bigger. But its a fun tradition id like to keep.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Big big storm the next few days with 16-25 inches projected for my immediate area. That is a lot of snow even for us. This has been a pretty exhausting winter.
Wow, that is a lot of snow...hope it stays closer to the 16 side of things! Good luck digging yourself out and stay safe.
And it has been an exhausting winter. It's been very mild this year for us temperature wise, as we haven't had our usual 2-3 weeks of deep freezing, but overall our winter has been all over the place...it's hard to acclimate and keep up with the snow.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am more than a bit ticked off with FedEx at the moment. I got a notification from them yesterday that a package I have been waiting for would be delivered today, and it required a signature. So I sat around all day, and.........nothing. So I guess that they expect me to sit around again tomorrow so they can repeat the process. Thanks, FedEx, for exactly nothing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that is a lot of snow...hope it stays closer to the 16 side of things! Good luck digging yourself out and stay safe.
And it has been an exhausting winter. It's been very mild this year for us temperature wise, as we haven't had our usual 2-3 weeks of deep freezing, but overall our winter has been all over the place...it's hard to acclimate and keep up with the snow.
Yeah, a whole lot. The only bright spot is that it is going to be cold, so hopefully the snow will be the light and fluffy kind which is so much easier to move than the heavy wet stuff we got in December. Still you can’t snowblow that much snow easily. You end up having to rotate snowblowing with knocking snow down with a shovel to clear it.

Acatlady1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
3 students irritated me this afternoon.One decided to pull the hair of a female student and disrespected the teachers.his two buddies thought it was funny and also disrespected the teacher.One of the 2 that thought it was funny and disrespected the teacher decided to disrespected me.Called me a midget which is an offensive word to the dwarfism community.I suspended them and their parents were not too happy with them

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am more than a bit ticked off with FedEx at the moment. I got a notification from them yesterday that a package I have been waiting for would be delivered today, and it required a signature. So I sat around all day, and.........nothing. So I guess that they expect me to sit around again tomorrow so they can repeat the process. Thanks, FedEx, for exactly nothing.
I once; while about 7 months pregnant, threatened to station my DD’s potty chair by the front door if the cable installation guy tried to pull another “no one was home” on me. Id even left the bathroom door open to hear the doorbell in the hallway a few feet away. I’m still pretty certain the guy never tried to come.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Set up a Fed Ex account online if you don’t have one. Best way to get up to date tracking. You can also redirect a package from there if you want to pick up from one of their offices.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
3 students irritated me this afternoon.One decided to pull the hair of a female student and disrespected the teachers.his two buddies thought it was funny and also disrespected the teacher.One of the 2 that thought it was funny and disrespected the teacher decided to disrespected me.Called me a midget which is an offensive word to the dwarfism community.I suspended them and their parents were not too happy with them
Had that happened back when I was still in school (Understand, this was when dinosaurs still roamed the earth) the offender would have found himself on the floor, wondering which part of the world had just fallen on him. Many of the male teachers were combat veterans from WWII, and they brooked no nonsense. Even the female teachers could- and did- deal rather abruptly with misbehavers. Sometimes, change is not always for the better.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Had that happened back when I was still in school (Understand, this was when dinosaurs still roamed the earth) the offender would have found himself on the floor, wondering which part of the world had just fallen on him. Many of the male teachers were combat veterans from WWII, and they brooked no nonsense. Even the female teachers could- and did- deal rather abruptly with misbehavers. Sometimes, change is not always for the better.
I have been informed by older British people that not only were you punished with a cane, but you had to thank them and sometimes ASK for another. Ouch. Was just reading an article about a bullied Ukranian girl at a US school who now doesn’t go to school for that reason. The attackers were sent home, but the article went on to say it’s worse than ever, as a lot of these kids haven’t socialized w/ anyone, due to Covid.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been informed by older British people that not only were you punished with a cane, but you had to thank them and sometimes ASK for another. Ouch. Was just reading an article about a bullied Ukranian girl at a US school who now doesn’t go to school for that reason. The attackers were sent home, but the article went on to say it’s worse than ever, as a lot of these kids haven’t socialized w/ anyone, due to Covid.
No canes, but the 8th grade Citizenship Education teacher had one of those heavy wooden rulers, 18 inches long, that she applied as necessary to the hands or back of the head of miscreants. And the 7th grade Art teacher, who was built like an NFL nose tackle, once threw- yes, threw- one of those combination desk and chairs at a student. I also witnessed the Driver Ed. teacher with some kid, who was being held against a corridor wall by the front of his shirt. The poor kid's feet were about four inches off the floor, and the teacher was wagging one finger under the kid's nose while banging him against the wall for emphasis.
I don't want to give the impression that the school was like a prison, because it wasn't. If you weren't a bad actor, you had no problems, but the would-be bullies knew to tread lightly, and if a kid was attacked, and fought back, only the attacker was punished. Ask me how I know that.
The point is, there was discipline, and because there was the kids could learn without having to have their heads on a swivel all the time.I cannot say that education has improved in the almost 60 years since I left school.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No canes, but the 8th grade Citizenship Education teacher had one of those heavy wooden rulers, 18 inches long, that she applied as necessary to the hands or back of the head of miscreants. And the 7th grade Art teacher, who was built like an NFL nose tackle, once threw- yes, threw- one of those combination desk and chairs at a student. I also witnessed the Driver Ed. teacher with some kid, who was being held against a corridor wall by the front of his shirt. The poor kid's feet were about four inches off the floor, and the teacher was wagging one finger under the kid's nose while banging him against the wall for emphasis.
I don't want to give the impression that the school was like a prison, because it wasn't. If you weren't a bad actor, you had no problems, but the would-be bullies knew to tread lightly, and if a kid was attacked, and fought back, only the attacker was punished. Ask me how I know that.
The point is, there was discipline, and because there was the kids could learn without having to have their heads on a swivel all the time.I cannot say that education has improved in the almost 60 years since I left school.
I went to a Catholic school through 8th grade and those nuns loved to rap your head or occasionally your hands, sometimes with their knuckles and usually with a ruler.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vice principal at my parents' school would literally throw kids down the stairs when displeased. I suppose if they died it was their own fault.

Wow things sucked when you guys were young.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gone and made myself upset.

No one will hire me, and I suspect it's because of my visible physical problems. The way I see it, the only real option open to me is the local sheltered workshop. I've worked there before, and I REFUSE to go back.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I've gone and made myself upset.

No one will hire me, and I suspect it's because of my visible physical problems. The way I see it, the only real option open to me is the local sheltered workshop. I've worked there before, and I REFUSE to go back.
Employers are not supposed to discriminate against those with disabilities and need to provide accommodation to assist you in performing it. . If you don’t get a job, try asking them why or how you compared to the other candidates. If there are things that might be a challenge for you to do, explain what could help you overcome those challenges.

Status
Not open for further replies.