What's on your Mind Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
J's been dealing with some eczema and I feel like it's getting worse. I'm assuming it's from something we're eating causing the inflammation. So either we didn't either pass butter and it took longer to show up, or we've been having more fish again and I've been using my prenatals with the fish oil. So I'm going to order more of the plant dha ones and hope it's the anchovy she's still sensitive to, and if that doesn't help, I'll cut out butter again after Easter.

Ugh.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know someone who, after trying every dietary restriction possible, stopped nursing and switched her baby to hydrolyzed formula because of supposed allergies/sensitivities, and nothing changed :dunno: . Who knows. Human bodies are complicated.

Oh and the kid is 14 now and doesn't have any ridiculous allergies/sensitivities so that's hopeful at least 😁.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She wasn't having eczema at all until recently, which is why I'm assuming it's something I've added back into our diets. I hope it's not the butter.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
She wasn't having eczema at all until recently, which is why I'm assuming it's something I've added back into our diets. I hope it's not the butter.
Any new fruits added in recently? High acid fruits can cause skin irritation in some kids. It can also be something as simple as a baby rubbing their face with a soggy blanket at night.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know someone who, after trying every dietary restriction possible, stopped nursing and switched her baby to hydrolyzed formula because of supposed allergies/sensitivities, and nothing changed :dunno: . Who knows. Human bodies are complicated.

Oh and the kid is 14 now and doesn't have any ridiculous allergies/sensitivities so that's hopeful at least 😁.
My mother told me when I was a baby and she would feed me, I would projectile vomit. The doctor just patronized her, oh you're just a new mom kind of thing. So she took me to his office with a bottle and had him feed me. Sure enough - projectile vomit. I think she ended up having to give me goat's milk, but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I still have sensitivites to a lot of things.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use it all the time.
I use that spray periodically for my electronic devices:
Did you two have any problems with the nozel not working??!! On both aerosol spray bottles, it stopped working. The lever that you push just goes limp and it won't push and won't quirt. What a pain! Now I have no cleaner. I wish they would bring back the trigger spray. Amazon says it won't ship until May.

He looks underweight and is walking oddly.
He's gorgeous! Thanks for helping the little fella.

we've been having more fish again
Fish is a common allergen, several of my cousins are allergic. Hope it's that so you can have dairy again.

The doctor just patronized her, oh you're just a new mom kind of thing.
I had terrible stomach pains when I was a kid. The doctor couldn't find anything wrong and said I was faking it and a big baby. No way! I still remember those stomach pains, they were terrible. Never did find out what it was. Maybe dehydration cause back then people didn't carry around water bottles.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DS didn’t start with eczema until he was potty training and washing his hands all the time. We’ve used so many soaps and concluded it’s the water that’s the problem because just being wet in the sandbox makes it worse. His face will show irritation if hes rubbing on things sometimes. Like when we went to Disney he kept snuggling my mom’s fleece jacket and rubbing his cheek on it. I have the exact same one; only hers did that. The hotel towels were a bit of a problem last week too. Oh and toothpaste once. The good natural one. :rolleyes2: Its definitely been location specific for him so we can tell its external contact vs food.

DD had it more cheeks and elbow/knee creases. Once on her foot. Fortunately she outgrew it by 2/3. We never really figured out her trigger.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
High acid fruits can cause skin irritation in some kids.
Orange juice caused me to get rashes and eczema when I was little. My mom managed to recognize the trigger and limited my juice intake, but when my younger brother was born she left me with my grandparents who didn't listen to a word she said and gave me lots of juice, and when she got back (new moms with uncomplicated deliveries got 3 days in the hospital back then!) I was just a mess. Full face of eczema all the way down my chest (from dribbling, I assume) and a bad diaper rash, etc. Yikes.

I still can't drink too much orange juice or random bad things start happening.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my son was sensitive to a huge number of foods, resulting in severe diarrhea or rash. Every new food had to be introduced one at a time for a week or two so I could find the ones he was sensitive to. Citrus or baby foods with citric acid in them we’re off his diet. He did outgrow it all though by the time he was two.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any new fruits added in recently? High acid fruits can cause skin irritation in some kids. It can also be something as simple as a baby rubbing their face with a soggy blanket at night.
I don't think so? But honestly, it's worst on her upper back, so if it was contact related, I'd assume it would be more on her face. That's why I'm assuming it's an internal inflammation trigger. She tested negative to all the major allergens, so I know whatever it is, it's more of an intolerance. It's just frustrating.

No new soaps or detergents, either. 🤷‍♀️

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think so? But honestly, it's worst on her upper back, so if it was contact related, I'd assume it would be more on her face. That's why I'm assuming it's an internal inflammation trigger. She tested negative to all the major allergens, so I know whatever it is, it's more of an intolerance. It's just frustrating.

No new soaps or detergents, either. 🤷‍♀️
Any chance you have changed where you bathe her? If she is now in the regular tub, then maybe a soap you use or something you clean the tub with?

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance you have changed where you bathe her? If she is now in the regular tub, then maybe a soap you use or something you clean the tub with?
I did recently move her to the big bath, but we only do baths twice a week. And she refused a bath today, but she went for her 15 month appointment, and didn't nap, so she was really off. Her back looks even worse than it did this morning. Can the MMR vaccine cause a rash that fast? Because some of it looked more rash like than eczema like this evening.

Her ped agrees I should pull back on the anchovy/fish for now and see if that helps. I'm not going to completely cut out the baked milk and butter, but I might try making sure I have a little less (I'd been enjoying an English muffin with butter and jam for breakfast lately). I want my diet more open, but I hate seeing her this way, so if we have to sacrifice again so her body isn't reacting badly, I'll do it.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I did recently move her to the big bath, but we only do baths twice a week. And she refused a bath today, but she went for her 15 month appointment, and didn't nap, so she was really off. Her back looks even worse than it did this morning. Can the MMR vaccine cause a rash that fast? Because some of it looked more rash like than eczema like this evening.

Her ped agrees I should pull back on the anchovy/fish for now and see if that helps. I'm not going to completely cut out the baked milk and butter, but I might try making sure I have a little less (I'd been enjoying an English muffin with butter and jam for breakfast lately). I want my diet more open, but I hate seeing her this way, so if we have to sacrifice again so her body isn't reacting badly, I'll do it.
I think the rash is more related to whatever caused the initial breakout rather than the immunization. Hope the diet change clears it up.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had terrible stomach pains when I was a kid. The doctor couldn't find anything wrong and said I was faking it and a big baby. No way! I still remember those stomach pains, they were terrible. Never did find out what it was. Maybe dehydration cause back then people didn't carry around water bottles.
Could have been something you were eating. I had them too, still have them on occasion when I eat things I shouldn't.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When will she be done nursing?
I'm letting her decide for the moment. I'm not in a rush to wean her since it's a quick and easy way to get her back to sleep at night when she wakes up, and she can't get a covid vaccine yet. I may reevaluate closer to when she turns two, but for now I'm pretty okay with it.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Ice storm #2 of the spring season and more enormous pine branches down in the back. Haven’t even removed the branches from the first storm! I bought a small battery operated chain saw last year and it looks like I will have a chance to use it. They are actually safer than the gas ones because as soon as you take your hand off of the trigger it stops running.

Status
Not open for further replies.