What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had - fried: onions, mushrooms, sausages and eggs and microwaved chips. Yum.

gcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had some Caesar salad and my husband’s cream cheese and shrimp spring rolls.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had dry rubbed baby back ribs, roasted chicken, rice with beans, mashed potatoes and green beans.
We only have chicken leftover.

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tried out a new chicken recipe: chicken baked in orange juice. The chicken was slathered in dijon mustard, chopped onions and orange juoce poured around it. Towards the end of baking, the chicken is flipped and a little brown sugar sprinkled on top. Very easy and the chicken turned out nice and tender. I served it with green beans and choice of starch from the fridge (I had a bunch of leftover rice and mashed potatoes). It was tasty, but I think the chicken would be outstanding cold and on a salad. It was a bit sweet for a regular entree. Tomorrow, we will try the leftovers out on salad, and if that is as good as I think it will be, the recipe is definitely a keeper.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds yummy happybird. We are having fish caught by my husband again ( blue eye trevalla) battered and served with a yummy salad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you mean steamed? No hot funny custard over it as well?
Not really steamed, although maybe you could call it that. You make the pudding by placing the buttered and sugared bread squares in the buttered casserole. Then pour the egg-milk-sugar-cinnamon mixture over it all. You can add raisins, too, but Rick would be horrified. 
 Put the casserole in a large cake pan filled with one inch of hot water. And bake it that way. When it's done and cooled a bit, you have the crunchy sugared bread squares on top with a custard on the bottom. It's a recipe that needs a really good vanilla for the custard and I usually use my bourbon vanilla. Rick loves the stuff.

Tonight we are having grilled tilapia (done on the indoor grill) and Rick and I will share a baked potato. Some peas sprinkled with thyme on the side.

Last edited:

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really steamed, although maybe you could call it that. You make the pudding by placing the buttered and sugared bread squares in the buttered casserole. Then pour the egg-milk-sugar-cinnamon mixture over it all. You can add raisins, too, but Rick would be horrified. :)  Put the casserole in a large cake pan filled with one inch of hot water. And bake it that way. When it's done and cooled a bit, you have the crunchy sugared bread squares on top with a custard on the bottom. It's a recipe that needs a really good vanilla for the custard and I usually use my bourbon vanilla. Rick loves the stuff.

Tonight we are having grilled tilapia (done on the indoor grill) and Rick and I will share a baked potato. Some peas sprinkled with thyme on the side.
Could you give me the exact recipe of your custard pud. It sounds lovely. It's not magic cake is it?
What's tilapia? Share a baked potato? I would probably eat two!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Sure. I posted it in the Recipe Exchange here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238191/cakes-and-other-baked-desserts#post_3494100. Are you talking about a Pudding Cake? The kind of cake that makes its own pudding as it bakes, like a Hot Fudge Sundae Cake? No, this is considered a pudding.

But here it is, too.....

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding

6 slices bread, crusts trimmed

2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine

2 tablespoons, plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup seedless raisins, optional

4 eggs, slightly beatened

2 cups milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 1-1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Brush the bread slices with melted butter, then sprinkle with the two tablespoons of sugar. Cut each slice into quarters and arrange in layers in the prepared dish. Sprinkle each layer with raisins.

To the beaten eggs, add 1/2 cup sugar, the milk, and the vanilla. Pour over the bread and raisin layers. (Once the mixture is poured over the bread, I take a fork and submerge the bread into the mixture a bit.)

Set the baking dish in a 13 x 9-inch cake pan filled with one inch of hot water. Carefully put pan into the oven. Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Serve warm or cold.

Note: I usually use more than the 2 tablespoons of sugar to sprinkle onto the buttered bread. And I double the amount of cinnamon. I do not recommend nonfat milk for this recipe, but 2% milk would be OK. Nonfat milk tends to make the custard a bit runny.

About the tilapia. Tilapia is considered a bottom-feeder fish, so many people won't eat it. I still eat tilapia and I like it. We usually grill our fish, especially during the summer, but right now everything is snow-covered, so we'll be using our indoor grill.

Baked potatoes.....I dearly love baked potatoes and I'd eat them every night if I could. I could eat a whole one myself, but well, best not to. Rick and usually split a baked potato now. I'll go ahead and microwave the potato. But then halve it lengthwise and we'll each have half. The potatoes are pretty big, so it's not like we're having a tiny little thing.

Last edited:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
salad, ribeye and a serving of asparagus popover (think savory dutchbaby..it's a Rachel ray recipe and oh so good!)  If I have dessert it will be a Kind bar - dark chocolate nuts with sea salt..oh divine for 200 calories!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really steamed, although maybe you could call it that. You make the pudding by placing the buttered and sugared bread squares in the buttered casserole. Then pour the egg-milk-sugar-cinnamon mixture over it all. You can add raisins, too, but Rick would be horrified. :)  Put the casserole in a large cake pan filled with one inch of hot water. And bake it that way. When it's done and cooled a bit, you have the crunchy sugared bread squares on top with a custard on the bottom. It's a recipe that needs a really good vanilla for the custard and I usually use my bourbon vanilla. Rick loves the stuff.

Thank you. I bookmarked it.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spinach and ricotta filled agnolotti with a creamy bacon and mushroom sauce. The kids hate mushrooms but my husband and I love them.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using our leftover roasted chicken we made sandwiches with chicken, baby lettuce, tomatoe.
Yumm
Served with chips and pickles.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using our leftover roasted chicken we made sandwiches with chicken, baby lettuce, tomatoe.
Yumm
Served with chips and pickles.
There is not much better than a roasted chicken sandwich. I love fresh bread and still warm chicken. Yum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.