What's for dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Last night we grilled marinated spareribs. I sauteed pierogies (frozen, from a box....I didn't make them) to go with the ribs.

Tonight for our July 4th picnic, we're having pan fried onion dip with crackers and veggies, bbq chicken, mac and cheese, 7-layer salad, pickled eggs, mint tea, and brownies and s'mores for dessert. My sister has a few bottles of mint wine chilling in her fridge. She makes the best mac and cheese in the world!

Last edited:

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are going traditional for the 4th today. I'm grilling Brats and burgers for DH, "hot dogs" for me, with sides of beans and leftover potatoes from last night. I'll probably have leftover zuchinni as well. Oh, pasta salad sounds good too, I may have to dig up a recipe for some.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby is grilling again - burgers for himself, and a ribeye for me.  I'm making a family recipe for cucumber salad, a recipe we love for mock potato salad, huge greens salad from our garden, and I'm making a cherry pie (we have maybe 4 pies total per year - one strawberry-rhubarb that I make with rhubarb from our own patch,  pumpkin at thanksgiving, a northern-spy or spy family apple pie some years, and for the 4th of July either a cherry pie or his mom's secret awesome fruit pie recipe).

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are hanging out at home to keep Henry, our dog, feeling safe. He is completely terrified of fireworks. So we are staying home. It is about 104 degrees outside - so we might just order in instead of grilling :lol3: We will see - haven't decided dinner yet!! :D

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We have hair appts tonight, so dinner has to be fairly quick. Grilled pork chops and leftovers from yesterday's picnic.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yorkshire pudding, roast chicken, baby new potatoes and vegetables with a thick gravy, because it's like an autumn day here right now with heavy rain forecast later this afternoon

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yorkshire pudding, roast chicken, baby new potatoes and vegetables with a thick gravy, because it's like an autumn day here right now with heavy rain forecast later this afternoon
 That sounds so good. I haven't cooked anything that requires the oven in weeks since it is way too hot. With the humidity, it's been about 44C (111F) and my house is just as hot. 

I haven't decided what to make yet. Maybe just perogies (the already made and frozen kind).

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 That sounds so good. I haven't cooked anything that requires the oven in weeks since it is way too hot. With the humidity, it's been about 44C (111F) and my house is just as hot. 

I haven't decided what to make yet. Maybe just perogies (the already made and frozen kind).
I haven't cooked much for awhile now because it is so hot and humid. I have been surviving on things like cereal, salad, watermelon, and sandwiches. One benefit is losing a few pounds.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, it's soo hot here. Not as hot as some of you other folks are experiencing, you have my deepest sympathy. It's hot for this part of the country and I don't care for the temp over 75. We're doing Brats tonight, maybe some Busch's Baked Beans....but maybe just Brats.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Probably spaghetti as Rick has been "hinting" now for awhile that he's really hungry for spaghetti. And I need to use up the last of the tomato sauce I made last year from our tomatoes.

It will be in the upper 90s today.....I'm so thankful for AC! But it's supposed to be our last day of the 90s here for while. With a cold front moving down and t-storms in the forecast, we should be only in the 80s tomorrow and next week and with lower humidity.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's only supposed to be 86 here on Monday but still triple digits today.  I hope we don't get storms like we did a little over a week ago some people still don't have power back from that one. I have heard about 3 people dying from heat related causes and several people lost their dogs to heat. It has just been entirely to hot to be without power. I lucked out this time and didn't loose power but at the height of the outage AEP said 45% of their customers were without power.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This area of the Pacific NW is comfy, to be honest.  I feel so fortunate, and can't imagine the kind of heat happening in my hometown and my mom's town :(

Tonight we are grilling (surprise!) burgers, with mushrooms, big garden salad, and maybe I'll make another mock potato salad.  Not sure re my carb  - possibly split a fruit yogurt with hubby and have a couple strawberries with it.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today is supposed to be the last day of our heat wave, finally. 
My husband is sick and has only been eating popsicles and freezies and doesn't want a meal so whatever I cook for dinner will just be for me. Probably just some pasta or hot dogs.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We were supposed to go to our cities heritage festival today but it is close to 100 degrees out there.  We were going to have greasy fair food.  I was so looking forward to it.  I think we will just have pizza delivery do I don't have to leave the air conditioning.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH brought home food from our favorite Mexican restaurant. I'm having an enchilada/chimichanga plate. So good and plenty for tomorrow too! Oh...and they always include fresh tortilla chips and salsa. The salsa is pretty hot today, but still good...and they went easy on the cilantro. I used to hate cilantro, tasted like soap to me but I've acquired a taste for it, but I still don't like an overload. They make really good food there and it was a long hot and stressful day at work. I'm so thankful that DH  "made" dinner tonight.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We have friends coming for dinner tonight and we're doing grlled pizza because it will too hot to have the oven on. I made some dough balls last night, so I just have to get them out of the fridge about two hours before we're ready for dinner. That should make some nice-sized pizzas for the grill. Toppings will be: sauteed bacon, slivered ham, turkey pepperoni, caramelized onions, green peppers, roasted red peppers, some chunks of pineapple, and chunked tomatoes. Mozzarella, sharp cheddar, and monterey jack cheeses. I'll make a bit of sauce, but usually we don't put sauce on grilled pizza that often anymore or it may be just a thin coating.

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm making Rueben sandwiches in a few. I also got potato salad at the deli when I was getting the Rueben fixings. It looked good and a lot easier than me making it. lol!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I made DH's fave meal: meatloaf, with a ketchup/brown sugar/spicy mustard glaze; baked mashed cheddar potatoes, and corn on the cob. I also spent the day canning balsamic vinegar/fig jam and peach pie filling. I also made soft dinner rolls.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH is grilling - burgers for himself, a flat iron steak for me, also some zucchini.  Will also have a large mixed baby greens salad.  I will either have a single serve ice cream for dessert or a package of Mrs. May's Cashew Crunch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.