What's For Dinner? - 2024

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooooOooooo care to drop a recipe?! 👏🏼
I really didn't have one...it's just what I threw together with what I had.I save the stem ends that I snap off the stalks in the freezer,and when I had what I thought was enough...maybe 3 cups of ends,I put them to simmer in about a quart and a half of chicken broth,along with a couple of smashed cloves of garlic and half a chopped onion,tiny pinch of dried thyme,and let them simmer till tender.That was an hour or so.They are very fibrous so into the blender they went with a couple of cups of broth,and whizzed away.I put a strainer over the top of my pot and let it drain,smushing as it did til almost no liquid was dripping,and threw away the mush that was left.Tasted for salt and pepper and cut up into half inch pieces the pound of asparagus I bought yesterday and simmered til tender.I made a slurry of cornstarch and cold water and thickened it a little,took off the heat and stirred in some fat free half and half (wasn't sure if it would curdle or not on the heat) and called it dinner,and darn yummy.You could also use vegetable broth if you'd rather and I'm sure it'd be just as good,or maybe even better:)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH really wanted Mexican tonight. There's a little hole in the wall independent place we both really like. He got a steak burrito and I got a vegetarian burrito. Yasso mocha chocolate chip bars for dessert.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's way early for me to even be thinking about lunch and dinner...actually, getting on toward the middle of my "night" (I'm a day sleeper, and just CANNOT get to sleep today!), but I'm thinking taquitos for lunch, and I know that dinner will be a chicken patty with SOMETHING, to be decided later.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I was getting ready to start fixing dinner yesterday, he informed me he wasn't all that hungry and did we have any chicken salad left.Sooooo....we had chicken salad sandwiches for dinner and will be having the brats,etc. tonight instead.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The nice young man that put up all my cat shelves came by today to put up 2more and put new screens in my window & he wouldn't take any money so we went out and I treated him to lunch-we had fantastic bacon cheeseburgers ,fries with cheese,gravy side and slaw .It a really nice local pet friendly place with tables outside do we got to meet delightful little dogs(& their owners were all nice too,lol)

I used to take Sami there with me for breakfast in his stroller but not today- so full from lunch I won't be having dinner tonight

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The weather was perfect today - sunny, clear and temps in the 60's so I didn't want anything hot for dinner. Avocado toast with lots of veggies on top and melted swiss. DH wanted grilled cheese with tater tots. Honeycrisp apple for dessert.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have a recipe for an excellent rotisserie-style roast chicken. But it calls for 4 teaspoons of salt. Well, I completely cut the salt out, but used the other ingredients. Spatch-cocked the chicken, sprayed with avocado spray, seasoned well, and tossed it back into the fridge. I'm going to air-fry it in the NFG for dinner. Sides will be the leftover baked beans from last night, along with a salad. Iced tea.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lunch will be, I think, eggs scramble with onions and peppers (obviously, a favorite!) and an English muffin (maybe). Dinner will be a hamburger steak with mashed potatoes and SOME SORT of actual veggie. Not sure yet which one.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The avocado toast w/veggies on Monday was so good I had it again Tuesday. :blush: I'm having a quinoa burger tonight on an onion roll with hummus, spinach leaves, roma tomato, zucchini and melted swiss. DH is keeping it simple with a turkey burger, baked potato and spicy black beans. We'll finish off the Graeter's mocha chocolate chip ice cream for dessert.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That chicken on Tuesday? Oh man, it was so good! We really didn't miss the salt. I threw it into the NFG. 370 degrees, til the thermometer hit 155 in the breast. Left it covered with foil until it hit 165 and it was perfect. Even Rick said it was really good...for chicken.

I'm making a chicken pie with the leftovers tonight.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither one of us was all that hungry...had a late lunch...and he wanted leftover pizza...sounds good to me,so that was it.Made a great score at the grocery store...stocked up on boneless/skinless chicken breast for $1.79/lb...legs and thighs were .89/lb. and eye round beef roast was $4.99/lb.Hasn't been that cheap in years!