What's For Dinner? - 2024

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For our new year's eve dinner we had

New Year's Eve Dinner_2023-12_crepes.jpg
crepes filled with pieces of duck and mushrooms, diced,
and finished with sauce bearnaise (not shown in image)

New Year's Eve Dinner_2023-12_vegetables.jpg
braised carrots and small pearl onions, also asparagus

Dessert was chocolate mousse​

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fixed a pork roast,mashed potatoes and buttered corn.I was just about to open a jar of sauerkraut when he told me he didn't want any.I have noticed his tastes are changing somewhat here lately,so I guess I'll just buy a tiny little can of kraut from now on.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dad made a Mac and Cheese dish in his instapot with spicy tomatoes. It's the one year anniversary of his heart attack, where he was practically declared dead, but made a miraculous recovery, and saved me and the cats from eviction!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had a choice for dinner...hot roast pork sandwiches or a baked potato topped with chili,lettuce,tomato,cheese and sour cream.Dang the luck!He wanted the pork and gravy,and he finished up the buttered corn from last night......I made a salad for me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lunch will be the left-over DeGiorno's pizza that I had for both lunch and dinner yesterday. Dinner will be...dunno. Maybe some more of those mini corn dogs I bought for New Year's Eve snacking. They're quick and easy, and I about did myself in getting all the decorations down yesterday!

Kwik Kwik your wish is my command.

GRITS CASSEROLE​

OK… Be aware that she (my mom, this is from a cookbook I'm making for my kids) made some changes. Note the following:
You can no longer get the garlic cheese roll. Use Velveeta and add 1 tsp garlic powder
There are no more regular grits, use quick, NOT INSTANT…cook for 20 minutes, like regular grits.
Up the number of eggs. The more, the firmer the casserole. 4 or 5 is best.

Feel free to add savories…ham, bacon, onions, peppers, etc!

Back to the Classic!
1 C regular grits
6oz garlic cheese (see above)
4 C water
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste (I suggest 1.5 tsp salt...you cannot successfully salt this after the fact)
¾ C milk
1 stick oleo (butter)

Preheat oven to 300°

Cook grits to package directions…add salt NOW, or you’ll never get them salted right! When almost done, add the butter and cheese. Beat the eggs and milk together and temper with grits, then add. Pour into greased casserole dish (9x11 or 8x10) and bake x 45 minutes, or until casserole begins to set. If slicing, allow to rest for 5 minutes. If spooning, have at it!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch will be the left-over DeGiorno's pizza that I had for both lunch and dinner yesterday. Dinner will be...dunno. Maybe some more of those mini corn dogs I bought for New Year's Eve snacking. They're quick and easy, and I about did myself in getting all the decorations down yesterday!

Kwik Kwik your wish is my command.

GRITS CASSEROLE​

OK… Be aware that she (my mom, this is from a cookbook I'm making for my kids) made some changes. Note the following:
You can no longer get the garlic cheese roll. Use Velveeta and add 1 tsp garlic powder
There are no more regular grits, use quick, NOT INSTANT…cook for 20 minutes, like regular grits.
Up the number of eggs. The more, the firmer the casserole. 4 or 5 is best.

Feel free to add savories…ham, bacon, onions, peppers, etc!

Back to the Classic!
1 C regular grits
6oz garlic cheese (see above)
4 C water
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste (I suggest 1.5 tsp salt...you cannot successfully salt this after the fact)
¾ C milk
1 stick oleo (butter)

Preheat oven to 300°

Cook grits to package directions…add salt NOW, or you’ll never get them salted right! When almost done, add the butter and cheese. Beat the eggs and milk together and temper with grits, then add. Pour into greased casserole dish (9x11 or 8x10) and bake x 45 minutes, or until casserole begins to set. If slicing, allow to rest for 5 minutes. If spooning, have at it!
:yess::dance:Oh boy this sounds good,I'm excited to make it- I'm gonna print this post:compsurfing::deal:On second thought I'm better of with a pen!!!

Thank you so much,let you know how it comes out-I know I'm gonna enjoy grits like this,I always put cheese in my grits....and no girl livin down south 42 yrs would use instant grits,lol

I used my frozen Christmas ham bone to make split pea soup yesterday- delish!I made so much that 3 neighbors got a few bowls each besides a few for me.....added bacon too

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had the baked potato with chili,lettuce,tomato,sour cream and cheese...it was so good!He even enjoyed it:)I also used my Christmas ham bone and made a rather large pot of ham and veggie/bean soup...also yummy.We won't have it for dinner quite yet...winter weather on the way this weekend and beginning of next week.Oh joy!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I finally finished my small roast from TJ's.. It was delicious, but salty to me. I rarely add salt to my food.
The beef was so good, the gravy was awesome! It actually came out to be more of a pot roast than a roast beef. You could cut it with a fork, and shred it.. so good. Originally I had it with a baked potato and green beans.
Last night, I was lazy and had an open faced RB sandwich.

Not sure about tonight. Perhaps just some cheese and crackers or some popcorn.

I went grocery shopping yesterday-- a huge order! I decided to make minestrone soup. Since I do not have any room for anything in thins tiny apartment, I had to buy a ton of stuff.. and stock up for the Storm (Snow) and the Covid, which has pretty much overtaken my building: 50 tenants, and 9 staff since Christmas. Everything is closed down in here.
They are doing weekly test clinics, asking everyone to mask, and the board of health is supply extra test kits for anyone who wants them. Pretty serious.
I am hibernating..

Thought I was all set with the ingredients, for the soup. NOPE! During the night, I realized I did not buy a can of cannelloni beans!! UGH>> Back to the store today, just for that. While I am out, I think I am going to check on my car's windshield washer supply. I have not done so for a while..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I made vegetable soup and added pasta to it with Back to Nature crispy wheat crackers on the side. Honeycrisp apple for dessert.

winter weather on the way this weekend and beginning of next week.Oh joy!
Same here so we did our grocery shopping yesterday but unfortunately I forgot a few things. That's what I get for going to the store without a list. :doh: