What's For Dinner? - 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
DH and our oldest who lives in the city wanted to take me out for Mother's Day but the weather is a bummer so I said I'd rather wait for a nice weekend when we could eat outdoors and the restaurants won't be as crowded. I think we'll be having pasta, salad and french bread tonight.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick made me dinner last night. Eggs and fried potatoes. And that was more than fine with me....I didn't have to cook. Nor did I have to clean up afterward.

I brought up some ground beef for meatloaf for Tuesday. And some of our Easter ham for a casserole tonight. Maybe mac and cheese with a bit of ham. Some kind of pasta and ham...with asparagus. Don't know yet.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Kraken game 7 today
dunno where we’re going yet

Have to tell y’all about one of the appetizers we had at a new spot.
Hubby picked the place with an eye to the slightly healthy options on the menu (Ahi, edamamme, salads…). We had a couple small plates, and then I got the “veggie & hummus platter”. The hummus was supposed to be a red pepper hummus, which sounded interesting.

It was ”interesting” all right.
First, the texture was watery and grainy, not thick and smooth.
Then, the flavor was off. It had a kind of weird fizzy tang to it, and it wasn’t lemon. I ate a bit of it, trying to place the oddity. Then I held a bit in my mouth, and it clicked… it tasted like fizzy wine. In other words, the hummus had fermented. Of course, I sent it back with my comments to be passed on to the cook.

Our waitress came back and passed on that the cook said the stuff had just been made a couple days ago. I asked if she saw him taste it. She said no. I said she should insist he do that.
When she came back she said that’s the way it always tastes. The cook was apparently making excuses about the heavy garlic (which was not a problem for me). So she brought me some blue cheese dressing, so I could at least have my veggies. Then she mentioned that everyone hates the hummus, even the manager.

This stuck in my mind for a while, as I tried to figure out what the heck could cause hummus to ferment like that.
So I’m thinking they grind up the red bell peppers raw, instead of roasted, and mix it in with a hummus base. It would account for the watery, grainy texture, and the enzymes in the raw pepper could possibly be feeding off something in the hummus to cause fermentation (?)

Regardless, I definitely won’t be getting that dish again. 😵💫

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither of us was particularly hungry for a big dinner so I made a batch of biscuits.Our son gave me a jar of frog jam (that's fig,raspberry,orange and ginger)for Mothers Day,and it was really delicious.If there were fresh figs in my neck of the woods,I might have to try making it! He opened a jar or plain raspberry jam,too,so that was our dinner...biscuits and jams.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I think we'll just have salads tonight with bread. No meat, but I'll add some cheese squares to our salads. I asked Rick if he was OK with it and he agreed that it would work. I had brought up some ground beef from the freezer yesterday to make meat loaf today, but it's not thawed yet.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night hubby suggested I chop up some of the ingredients in the subs and add that to the pasta salad and there would be dinner tonight....so I did,and it was really good!I've done similar before but he doesn't remember that.Anyway yesterday was bread day,and today I made 2 loaves of cinnamon raisin bread,so that's what we had with our dinner...warm....with butter.Yum!

Status
Not open for further replies.