Anyone buy a new vehicle lately?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband thinks we are at a crossroads with our current minivan. It's a 2014 dodge grand caravan. It's still in really great shape, but we have a repair in the near future that we need to do. Some of the oil gaskets need fixed. Best case just under $1000...but hubby says it could end up being a worse case of over $5000 if the whole "whatever" needs replacing. When I picked up our van the guy only mentioned the gasket stuff but when I got home, I guess hubby talked to the mechanic a bit more in depth about the worst case scenarios if it's more than just the gaskets when they open everything up. Just fyi...I also question my husbands motives...he may just want an upgrade... :rolleyes3: I'm sure he's also thinking about trade in value while it's still decent, and if this is the beginning of the inevitable money pit that is on the way considering our van is 10 years old now...
Anyway,
I've been looking online and the choices and prices are absolutely ridiculous! I also tried to start live chats with a few dealerships and none of them will give me a straight answer if "base models" are even a thing anymore.
We don't need nor can afford to spend fifty grand on a friggin' minivan with so many unnecessary bells and whistles.
So have any of you purchased a new vehicle lately? Do base models exist for poor folk like me?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, some feedback on the vehicle you drive and if its good or not would be great.
Looking specifically for minivans or full size SUVs...the cargo space is a must for my husband's business' deliveries...he makes signs up to 8 feet...or is it 6?...anyway, it has to be at least as long as our current van with both rows of seats out. But it also has to be a vehicle that I can drive on a daily basis. I drive our current van "full time" while he drives our small car for all the running around he does. He only takes the van on the days he does a large delivery.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought our Subaru Forester in February 2023, so a bit over a year ago.

Ours is a 2018 so it's used. We thought about buying new but with the amount of destruction having small kids would bring, it seemed like a bad idea.

We shopped around. We actually found ours for several thousand dollars cheaper than other models by looking at what was in stuck at different used Subaru dealers, and this one was about 45 minutes from where we live.. We thought for sure there had to be something wrong with it like it reeking of cigarette smoke, but it was basically exactly what we needed with nothing wrong. The dealership guy explained that somtimes they sell cars for cheaper when they're traded in for less money based on demand or timing. I know you're in Canada so idk if it's the same there, but shopping around and being willing to travel a tiny bit paid off for us.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We bought our Subaru Forester in February 2023, so a bit over a year ago.
Cool! I bought my Forester in May 2022, so just about 2 years now. It's a 2020. Mine is red, what color is yours?

The car prices now are insane. And the interest rates! I paid around $35,000 for mine (after all the addons and fees and stuff) and it was 2 years old at the time. Saved about $5k over a new one. But I got a 1.8% loan, because that was right before the interest rates went crazy. Now you'd probably be lucky to get 7%.

It may be cheaper to repair the old one, even if it costs $5k. But there's also something to be said for having a dependable vehicle that's still under warranty. It depends on your circumstances and needs.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think used would probably be the way to go, there is so much depreciation just driving a new vehicle off the lot. I think there is very little in the way of stripped-down basic models anymore. I don't know how it works in Canada but in the U.S. dealers have bought the cars that are on their lot. They are going for the cars with the highest profit margins and that is the fully decked out vehicles. In the U.S. you can sometimes get a good deal on the previous year's model after the new models come out. It is still sold as new but the price is cut down just to get it sold. Most dealers also have certified used. They are later model used which has been put through the checks that allows them to be sold with a warranty. The warranty isn't as long as it is for a new car but long enough to save you from buying a lemon that was someone else's problem.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I woukd deffinatly get a gas, deisel, or hybrid car. No EVs, the batteries degrade quite quickly and make up more than the car is worth to fix or replace them. And if you are a fellow Canadian you know how brutal our winters can be. Cold degrades battery life.

For most reliable, hondas tend to have a reputation for being nearly unkillable in the engine department. Mazdas with the skyactiv engines too.

Stay away from hyundai and kia though. Especialy models between 2011 and 2019. The theta engine actualy has a recal because they can throw bearings or sieze and throw rods starting fires.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just bought a new Ford Hybrid Maverick, a small pickup in Jan. We waited two years, but hopefully they are putting them out faster now. They did give us the 2022 price too, on the '24. We bought it specifically because we wanted good gas mileage and the price. Base price was 23,000. But of course we went with better wheels, and a better interior and the price went up to 29,000. still really good for a brand new pickup. The bed is small, but you can put on those extensions you can get to carry 8' pieces, you have the backseat too that lifts up and gives you room. The cab is surprisingly roomy, my husband worried he'd feel closed in, but isn't. It does seem a little plain label compared to the F150 which we have too, but we are extremely happy with it for what we want. Averages 48 MPG city and hyway, many times city driving is in the 60's!

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a minivan. 2016 Honda Odyssey. I believe the Odyssey’s are the largest vans on the market. We got it used and it has served us well. It’s quite large, and the very back rows fold down to make one big trunk.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! I bought my Forester in May 2022, so just about 2 years now. It's a 2020. Mine is red, what color is yours?

The car prices now are insane. And the interest rates! I paid around $35,000 for mine (after all the addons and fees and stuff) and it was 2 years old at the time. Saved about $5k over a new one. But I got a 1.8% loan, because that was right before the interest rates went crazy. Now you'd probably be lucky to get 7%.

It may be cheaper to repair the old one, even if it costs $5k. But there's also something to be said for having a dependable vehicle that's still under warranty. It depends on your circumstances and needs.
Ours is silver. We didn't get a choice, but we just didn't want white, so we were good with it!

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The problem is simple. I'm not even sure what type of vehicle to get. Electric or gas? Seems some of the folks in charge plan to ban gas vehicles in 4 to 6 years. The problem is where I live no charging stations are available. Then the EV has the extra cost of getting your house wired for a charger. Then every 6 years you need a new one batteries tend to fail. So if you older maybe consider renting from the dealer. Not to mention I live in an area that has winters. Batteries don't maintain a charge in cold.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah electric may be in the future, but too many problems right now. My brother has an electric, half the gas mileage in the winter, lots of trouble finding chargers when out of town. His electric bill tripled even with the cut in price because of charger. No thanks! Hybrid seems to be the way to go.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think used is the way to go. Our last new vehicle was a 1998 Dodge 4x4 pickup, which gave good service until it's untimely demise in a multi-car pileup. Our current vehicle is a 2015 Ford Explorer that we bought in 2020. We will probably keep it for another year or so, then trade it in on another used one, depending on what's available and at what price.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oil pan and cylinder head gaskets are easy cheap maintenace repairs. cost you less than a 100 bux to buy the gaskets at an auto parts store
That's assuming that it's a pan gasket. But it could also be a front or rear main seal, and if it's the rear main, you have to pull the transaxle to access it, and that ain't no $100 fix. The labor is the biggest part of any of those repairs.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I purchased a New 2024 Subaru Forester Touring in December 2023. I looked at a new 2024 Mazda CX30 also a new 2024 Honda CRV Touring before making my purchase decision. So far very happy with the Forester. No issues whatsoever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's assuming that it's a pan gasket. But it could also be a front or rear main seal, and if it's the rear main, you have to pull the transaxle to access it, and that ain't no $100 fix. The labor is the biggest part of any of those repairs.
Dude said up to 4 hours labor for whatever gasket(s) he thinks is/are the culprit, but that was for the "best case scenario"......just looked at the report and it said "valve cover gaskets"...wherever those are :dunno:...But my husband is the one who noticed some oil on the left side of the engine which is why we asked them to take a look.
But the reason we brought the van in to begin with was because the check engine light had gone on and we needed to change the tires and get an oil change....when he looked into the history there were three codes that came up.
P0519 speed control 2
P0579 speed control 1
P0456 Evap small leak
Dude said that it most likely requires a new speed control switch.
As for the evap small leak...I think it points to the exhaust system or something? But when looked at, the leak could not be found...so we are waiting...for now. There was some corrosion on the gas cap hole thing that he grinded out and that seemed to have fix it...we'll see what happens.
We are waiting to bring it back in until the check engine light comes on again so the guy fixes the right part that is setting off the engine light. At the time when we brought the van in the check engine light was not on so he could only see what the history said.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The last time I had to have a gasket of some sort replaced was in the late 90's. That was almost $700. I am sure it would be much more now. The labor is what gets you.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oil pan and cylinder head gaskets are easy cheap maintenace repairs. cost you less than a 100 bux to buy the gaskets at an auto parts store
Buying the repair parts may seem like a easy fix only if you know how too properly repair it yourself and have the time to do so.