What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pot pie and green beans, and it was very good!
That does sound very good. Did you make your own? I've been craving a pot pie lately. I usually get a vegetarian Marie Calender or Amy's pot pies.

Last night I had stir fried potatoes, cabbage, tofu, zucchini, onions and green beans. Delicious!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That does sound very good. Did you make your own? I've been craving a pot pie lately. I usually get a vegetarian Marie Calender or Amy's pot pies.

Last night I had stir fried potatoes, cabbage, tofu, zucchini, onions and green beans. Delicious!
No, I have never attempted a pot pie from scratch. It seems like a big job!
I love anything stir fried. :yummy:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s what I’d expect, but there’s no burger bun involved - just as well since it’s in the fridge!
Aaaaand it was inedible. You can’t reheat chips and crumbed meat in a microwave. They know this and know most people reheat their meals but keep serving this sort of stuff. I chucked it and had the frozen lasagna I’d bought as backup.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Aaaaand it was inedible. You can’t reheat chips and crumbed meat in a microwave. They know this and know most people reheat their meals but keep serving this sort of stuff. I chucked it and had the frozen lasagna I’d bought as backup.
SMH. Chips and crumbled meat sounds beyond gross. :(

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SMH. Chips and crumbled meat sounds beyond gross. :(
Crumbed, as in coated with breadcrumbs - would have been okay first served but whoever sets the menu (someone at wherever their head office is, presumably) has presumably never had microwaved chips in their life. 🤢

At least tonight will be good, chicken and mushroom risotto, which I bought from the supermarket. But I shouldn’t have to buy substitutes when the cost of the meals is included in my rent!!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Crumbed, as in coated with breadcrumbs - would have been okay first served but whoever sets the menu (someone at wherever their head office is, presumably) has presumably never had microwaved chips in their life. 🤢

At least tonight will be good, chicken and mushroom risotto, which I bought from the supermarket. But I shouldn’t have to buy substitutes when the cost of the meals is included in my rent!!
Exactly!! They should serve decent food if the cost of that food is included. Some places are so pricey they ought to be serving gourmet meals 3 times a day IMO.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly!! They should serve decent food if the cost of that food is included. Some places are so pricey they ought to be serving gourmet meals 3 times a day IMO.
And we’re required to eat their food, it’s in the lease - I know someone here who had to jump through hoops just to be able to get her own food from Meals on Wheels!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And we’re required to eat their food, it’s in the lease - I know someone here who had to jump through hoops just to be able to get her own food from Meals on Wheels!
Required?? What the heck? Does the food police stand there and confiscate TV dinners people buy from the Walgreens!? 😲 That's just crazy. My Grandma was in an assisted living place and meals were always provided (she could choose to eat in her room or go to the dining room), but no one ever had a problem if I or another family member brought over some food for her.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Required?? What the heck? Does the food police stand there and confiscate TV dinners people buy from the Walgreens!? 😲 That's just crazy. My Grandma was in an assisted living place and meals were always provided (she could choose to eat in her room or go to the dining room), but no one ever had a problem if I or another family member brought over some food for her.
Required in the sense that it’s in the agreement that we pay for one meal a day (the main meal) and they’re very reluctant to let people opt out. Most of the food is okay, but this insistence on serving fish and chips variations on Fridays is just absurd when so few people eat the main meal at midday and will have to microwave it. It’s also a waste of money having to buy extra meals to make up for these ones being inedible. Makes me wonder who’s the genius in Queensland setting the menus.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, kind of the same way in here.. although we can do our own shopping and bring in our own foods..

There is a MANDATORY Food Policy in here, of $225 per month.. You CANNOT GET OFF OF IT! They make it so hard to do.. You need doctors notes, meet with a nutritionist, etc... it is ridiculous.

I would not mind so much if the quality of the food and the preparation were restaurant quality... alas, they are not. The supposed "Chief" never attended culinary school..
The best I can say is that it is really bad institutionalized food. I had better quality when I was hospitalized.
I gave them a Heart Association cookbook, for new recipes, and gave them about 10 of my own. The excuse in not using it: "They cannot make due the recipes for the entire building!!! and There are too many steps!!"... I told them that I could do the Math for them... I am on the food committee, so I can say such stuff.

I do to know why we have to pay for it.. Many people pay the fee, get the food and throw it away.. a kind of mini-protest.. but it does not help them.

What really gets me is that this is a HUD subsidized building--- for low 'Independent' income senior--- How the heck do they get away with charging us for Food?? and making it mandatory?? many of the non-independent tenants do not care. They love the fact that they do not have to cook.. I, along with many people are not of that opinion. It is not an assisted living building, but because of the aging population, it is becoming one.

People always complain.. at one point many said they were going to hold back on payment of the food bill.. When the time came to do so.. everyone chickened out.. ridiculous people...

Status
Not open for further replies.