Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know about tonight..
I do not care for what is on the menu..
either fish with baked potato.. and Brussel sprouts or pot roast with baked potato. a small cup of chicken soup.
They do have a tiny portion of ice cream on Fridays.. as if it is our 'reward' for the week..

I bought a chicken parmigiana dinner from the prepared food section at the grocery store. I am planning on that for the week end. and/or Monday. Just heat and serve.

I may just get a chicken breast, and make my own salad, again.. I make a much better salad than theirs. I do not know what it is.. I use baby lettuce, celery, radishes, tomato, cuke, olives, with Feta cheese... with just a balsamic vinegar and EVOO dressing, which I just pour on top of..

They have most of the stuff downstairs, except for the radishes, and celery.. but mine tastes so much better. I enjoy it more than theirs. Weird. I guess I like the way I cut up the veggies, rather than the big chunks they provide. I make thinner slices, for more flavor.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My wife seemed a bit frazzled yesterday about having to return to the classroom (today) after a summer break where she didn't feel she accomplished everything that she had on her agenda. I rarely make baked goods, but yesterday it seemed like it would be a good move.

So I made some pizzelle. Do you know pizzelle? A thin Italian waffle cookie, typically flavored with anise and look like this:

My wife has Northern Italian ancestry, so I figured pizzelle might trigger a pleasant ancestral memory (and it doesn't hurt that I love them ;) ).

I loaded them up with anise seeds (about twice what a typical recipe calls for) and included some warming-spices such as nutmeg, allspice, and a hint of clove, which are not strictly traditional (but dang good).

My instincts about this being a potential mood lifter proved sound.

Then figured I better make some "comfort food" for dinner.

So I cooked up a batch of chickpeas. Till just tender. Then dried them, oiled them, doused with Spanish smoked paprika and roasted (lightly). Then I stewed the roasted garbanzos with onions and garlic and herbs, plus the leftovers of Tuesday's chicken in guajillo chili sauce. My son (18) who is starting to cook had a half a can of coconut creme in the fridge, so I added that the end, with fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro.

It was pretty tasty.

As a side I cooked up a batch of polenta stove-top and then baked it in a hot oven until it got nice and golden. Once golden I gave it a smear of good tomato sauce and olive oil and topped with grated extra-sharp Cabot cheddar cheese (which is delicious) and back into the hot oven until bubbling.

I also sauteed a big batch of spinach with olive oil and garlic (a wife favorite).

I think the food-therapy worked.

Bill

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ended up with a small cup of chicken soup, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Ate that and then finished off the
Haagen Daz mint chocolate chip.. and a tiny bag of chips...

I have been nibbling all day... have to stop.. I cannot stand the mirror image of myself in the windows.. I actually said, to myself: Who is that Fat woman?? and it was me!

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hubby asked if we could have eggs and toast for dinner.Ummm...ham and cheese omelet and toast is what he happily got.I fixed myself some toast,opened a jar of orange/lemon marmalade and took a bite of his omelet...not too bad.Made lemon cream cheese brownies today,so that will be dessert at some point.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I had veggie fried rice and added falafel since it's become one of my favorite staples plus a spinach salad. DH warmed up the bbq chicken I made the other day with tater tots and a small baked potato. Yasso coffee chocolate chip bar and honeycrisp apple for dessert.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
gf still to frustated from dealing with all the idiots we need to call to get my biopsy appointment set for me to bother asking what she would like to eat :biggrin: better part of wisdom is to let her settle down and calm down some first
I can understand GF getting so frustrated with this. For me, it is incomprehensible to understand the reasoning behind this!! I am so mad for YOU...:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: There is no reason why you should be jumping through hoops for this--a biopsy on a mass.. unacceptable.:angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman:

I feel for GF and you. It is best to have this done ASAP, and not wait. 👿👿👿

There should not be anything approaching pre-authorization, in my opinion.. Just a way to stretch things out, thinking the patient will give up trying... a medical insurance ploy to save money... It is someones life.. This is ridiculous!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand GF getting so frustrated with this. For me, it is incomprehensible to understand the reasoning behind this!! I am so mad for YOU...:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: There is no reason why you should be jumping through hoops for this--a biopsy on a mass.. unacceptable.:angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman:

I feel for GF and you. It is best to have this done ASAP, and not wait. 👿👿👿

There should not be anything approaching pre-authorization, in my opinion.. Just a way to stretch things out, thinking the patient will give up trying... a medical insurance ploy to save money... It is someones life.. This is ridiculous!
your right but its just the way it is on "free" goverment insurance just another case/file number they get paid for.:) thank you for the anger n my behalf

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That spaghetti we were going to have last night? Well, tonight is another night.
While we were out and about yesterday, Rick wanted to have lunch. And then we weren't hungry for dinner at all last night.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The wonton noodle soup turned out really well. I forgot to buy spinach :doh: but not a big deal. The wontons were frozen pre-made from the supermarket :crazy: The noodles are udon, the mushrooms are shiitake, and the tofu is firm that I pressed for about 15 minutes to remove extra water. Mom would have used silken tofu and done her usual grumbling about how the texture is too soft and the tofu will just fall apart during cooking blah blah blah. I have pointed out that there is firm and extra firm tofu available but she keeps saying that those are for *only* Japanese cooking :dunno::rolleyes:

20220813_161953[1].jpg

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The wonton noodle soup turned out really well. I forgot to buy spinach :doh: but not a big deal. The wontons were frozen pre-made from the supermarket :crazy: The noodles are udon, the mushrooms are shiitake, and the tofu is firm that I pressed for about 15 minutes to remove extra water. Mom would have used silken tofu and done her usual grumbling about how the texture is too soft and the tofu will just fall apart during cooking blah blah blah. I have pointed out that there is firm and extra firm tofu available but she keeps saying that those are for *only* Japanese cooking :dunno::rolleyes:

View attachment 429148
Have you tried freezing and then thawing blocks of firm tofu (whole) that have been removed from their packages?

Can be combined with pressing (afterwards) and gives an interesting texture that is a little different than pressing alone. Give the tofu a more sponge-like ability to pull in flavors and an interesting firmness.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.