What's For Dinner? - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been eating a ton of ice cream for the past 10 days.. especially the past week.. too much..
Yesterday, it was a repeat salad, with chicken...

Tonight they are having a b-b-que meal.. yuck...
Choices:
Hot dogs---man, I never ate so many hot dogs, until this summer....
very thin dried out chicken strips--- claims they are marinated in honey mustard--dried out.. yuck
Pulled Pork--- dry.. the sauce is on the side.. yuck.

Cole slaw--- too much mayo for my taste.
Corn on the cob---tiny 1/2 of an ear
Watermelon--small wedge slice....

Thinking I could eat the last of the salad, add one dried out tiny chicken strip.. get watermelon.. the corn is under consideration.. OR
I could get a hot dog roll, get a chicken strip, Cole slaw,--- make my own sandwich!!! with watermelon ....

Depends on how I feel.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Individual chicken and noodle casseroles.

It went like this: boiled wide pappardelle noodles (note to self, use a different pasta next time. These were awkward to eat.) Cook pearl onions, coarsely cut celery, carrot in chunks, in broth. Set aside. Heat rotisserie chicken cut in chunks, in broth. Set aside. Set hot broth aside after adding diced cheddar cheese. Cut two thin slices of bread into small little cubes and lightly brown in butter and oil. In individual Pyrex casseroles layer up pappardelle noodles, chicken, vegetables, broth with cheese. Top with browned little bread cubes. Serve.

To be repeated but perhaps with penne or cresti di gallo or campanelle or some pasta shape that's easier to manage with a fork.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Ended up with: an plain hot dog, a chicken tender, a tiny half scoop of coleslaw... my own Hagen-Daaz ice cream for dessert.-- a ton of it: vanilla and then mint chocolate chip..

I am on an ice cream binge.. not good for weight, bp, etc.. but emotionally needed.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I ended up making salmon last night. My wife had picked up some insanely inexpensive wild caught Coho salmon pieces ($1.99 lb). The pieces are small and irregular in size (which I guess is why they were so cheap, but great quality.

I cooked them Sous Vide @120 unseasoned (so I could save a piece for el gato). Then finished with a quick broil after spreading on a sauce made of a little mayo, miso, wasabi, touch of maple syrup, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Broiled until bubbling.

Then served on a bed of "sushi rice," first time using a technique stolen from the NY Times of adding the seasonings for sushi-su (vinegar, sugar, salt) to the cooking water--as opposed to pouring over freshly steamed rice. It was good.

Served with a bunch of Japanese/Korean style pickles as side salads. Homemade pickled daikon, cucumber sunomono, a quick pickle of spiralized raw beets, and a last-minute faux kimchi using salted and well squeezed (standard) cabbage, a bit of sriracha, a bit of Korean red pepper paste, a hint of rice vinegar, and a little grated ginger.

My wife was happy. Cat too.

Bill

Last edited:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! Two bucks a pound for any salmon is practically unheard of here. Best I can usually get is $5-6/lb at the Asian Market (still, cheaper than restaurants)

A sushi chef we used to go to mentioned adding vinegar to the rice water is what makes it sticky, but he was vague on the amount.
Yeah, we never see salmon that cheap, especially wild caught. This was a steal. My wife went back the next day and purchased more. Coho can be dry (not much fat) so cooking sous vide (rare) is a boon.

IMS the NY Times called for 1/3 cup rice vinegar for a pot of rice. I did the seasonings (rice, salt, and sugar) by taste rather than by measure.

Bill

ETA: I said 1/3 cup rice when I meant rice vinegar

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
artiemom artiemom I hear you about the ice cream. Rick and I did that two days in a row for dinner, something we've never done before in our lives. But it was insanely hot, ridiculously humid, and we needed something cool and comforting.

Last night, we did shared a grilled chicken breast over a simple chopped salad with corn on the cob.
I made a stock pot of pasta sauce yesterday for the freezer, but kept some for our dinner tonight. Spaghetti with a salad, maybe some cheesy garlic biscuits. And iced tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.